Dissertation/Independent Study Help!

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, I'll be going into third year of a Film&TV and Media joint honours course in September and it was mentioned that we should start thinking about our independent study and preparing for submitting the proposal. But nothing has actually been said about how we do that and I have no idea! Does anyone have any tips on how to start preparing for third year and a dissertation? I probably sound really silly but I'm a little clueless because we've had no other information so I'm not sure where to start.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So, I'll be going into third year of a Film&TV and Media joint honours course in September and it was mentioned that we should start thinking about our independent study and preparing for submitting the proposal. But nothing has actually been said about how we do that and I have no idea! Does anyone have any tips on how to start preparing for third year and a dissertation? I probably sound really silly but I'm a little clueless because we've had no other information so I'm not sure where to start.
Perhaps think about topics you have enjoyed when studying previously and read up on them further, if there's any questions that arise out of this you could try writing a few mini proposals and see which you feel could develop into a proposal.
I don't study this area but if you know where recent research is published read some of this and see what topics you find most interesting.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi!

I don't study anything related, but for my course (International Relations and Politics) we needed to hand our dissertation proposal in around May of our second year, so I've been in that situation, and know it can be stressful!

For me, I kinda knew what I wanted to do my dissertation on in my first year as we had this one assignment on a certain topic and it jumped out at me and I found it so interesting. Once I knew the broad topic I wanted to do my dissertation on it did take a lot to narrow the focus, but I finally got there

The topic I knew I wanted to do it on was 'State surveillance' but obviously that is SO broad. Do you have any interests in certain topics that you have covered over your two years? (even if they are really broad) For me, I also have a large interest in the USA so decided to hone it down to that specific country. Once I knew that, I started doing my research into surveillance in the USA and decided my time frame, Post 9/11, then I basically just did a load of research to find out how I could go about this and frame a question. I also asked lecturers who had knowledge on this topic to help with some ideas.

Also, I had lots of conversations with friends and family about the topic as I found that getting my ideas out and talking about it really helped me!

I've also just finished my dissertation and just tweaked the title a little, so it just shows how your ideas can change throughout, so don't worry too much!

I hope that helps a little

Courtney - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
20.83%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
8.33%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
8.33%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
10.42%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (13)
27.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
25%

Watched Threads