Pulleys F=ma

Watch this thread
A0W0N
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have this question which i got wrong can someone explain my mistake?
A0W0N
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  E8D04E33-EA24-4D31-92E7-7DC2A8C5576C.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  59.9 KB
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  89.9 KB
i put in the values and it was incorrect??
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
i put in the values and it was incorrect??
Not correct.

You should consider both masses separately and construct two equations in two variables; T for tension in the string, and a for acceleration of both particles.

Hence solve these simultaneously.
A0W0N
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
Not correct.

You should consider both masses separately and construct two equations in two variables; T for tension in the string, and a for acceleration of both particles.

Hence solve these simultaneously.
So do t=5*9.8
And t=7*9.8
And set them equal to each other?
davros
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
So do t=5*9.8
And t=7*9.8
And set them equal to each other?
Have you seen examples of pulley systems in your textbook before?

You need to consider the forces acting on each object in terms of its weight and the tension in the string, then set up equations of motion for each one which you can solve in the usual way for simultaneous equations.
A0W0N
Rep:
(Original post by davros)
Have you seen examples of pulley systems in your textbook before?

You need to consider the forces acting on each object in terms of its weight and the tension in the string, then set up equations of motion for each one which you can solve in the usual way for simultaneous equations.
I have but it was a while back do they both add up to equal t? I can't remember
simon0
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Your diagram is incomplete as you need to add the weight for each mass!

See which mass will go down and which mass will go up.

Then resolve for each mass separately.

I will give first one:

Resolving for 7 kg mass downwards:  \displaystyle 7g - T = 7a,
where T is the string tension and a is the acceleration of the 7 kg mass.

Can you:
- Tell me which mass will go down?
- Resolve for the 5 kg mass?
Last edited by simon0; 2 years ago
A0W0N
Rep:
(Original post by simon0)
Your diagram is incomplete as you need to add the weight for each mass!

See which mass will go down and which mass will go up.

Then resolve for each mass separately.

I will give first one:

Resolving for 7 kg mass downwards:  \displaystyle 7g - T = 7a,
where T is the string tension and a is the acceleration of the 7 kg mass.

Can you:
- Tell me which mass will go down?
- Resolve for the 5 kg mass?
7kg mass will go down, so t is negative so for the 5kg it will go up meaning it will be: T-5g=5a?
username4197954
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I don't know if this helps, but this is how I like to draw the diagrams for pulleys. I've labelled the masses B and C - this helps me add the forces. I consider the direction the masses will move and then add the acceleration label in that direction. There will be tension in the string, as added. Then it's just a case of resolving the forces for each mass using F=ma. Then simutaneously solving the 2 equations to get the acceleration (a).

Name:  98165794_2608784559385304_3458072401315627008_n.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  142.0 KB
A0W0N
Rep:
I got it now thanks, I hate to ask but im stuck on another question
Views: 250
Size:  117.6 KB
Views: 225
Size:  86.0 KB
username4197954
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Clue .... don't forget that mass exerts a force of weight.

Weight = mass x gravity (W=mg)

E.g. a mass of 3kg exerts a force of 3g N (or 3 x 9.8 = 29.4 N, where g=9.8 N/kg)
simon0
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
I got it now thanks, I hate to ask but im stuck on another question
Views: 250
Size:  117.6 KB
Views: 225
Size:  86.0 KB
Again, where is the weight?

Add the force of weight (weight of the bottle) and resolve the forces so to substitute into the F=ma, formula.
Last edited by simon0; 2 years ago
A0W0N
Rep:
Views: 217
Size:  108.4 KB
Views: 226
Size:  159.4 KB
I don't understand why this is wrong, and i'd like to ask are t only equal to each other in equilibrium?
username4197954
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You've got the force of the 3kg mass acting in the wrong direction. Weight = mass x gravity (W=mg), so think about the direction of the force of gravity.

Also, there is one other force that is missing. If I said "Reaction" would that help? (trying not to give you the answer as I've been told off for that before, lol!)
A0W0N
Rep:
(Original post by Bexr)
You've got the force of the 3kg mass acting in the wrong direction. Weight = mass x gravity (W=mg), so think about the direction of the force of gravity.

Also, there is one other force that is missing. If I said "Reaction" would that help? (trying not to give you the answer as I've been told off for that before, lol!)
umm is the reaction force upwards from the 3kg mass?
simon0
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
umm is the reaction force upwards from the 3kg mass?
If the diagram is correct, yes.
A0W0N
Rep:
(Original post by simon0)
If the diagram is correct, yes.
How will that affect the horizontal force, I don’t understand
davros
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
How will that affect the horizontal force, I don’t understand
It won't in this case because the table is smooth. The reaction force balances the weight of the 3 kg mass acting downwards so it is neither "lifting off" nor burrowing through the table. If the table were rough then the reaction force would be involved in a friction calculation.

I think it was only mentioned for completeness i.e. to check that you were aware of all the forces acting on the mass.
A0W0N
Rep:
(Original post by davros)
It won't in this case because the table is smooth. The reaction force balances the weight of the 3 kg mass acting downwards so it is neither "lifting off" nor burrowing through the table. If the table were rough then the reaction force would be involved in a friction calculation.

I think it was only mentioned for completeness i.e. to check that you were aware of all the forces acting on the mass.
Ok thanks how do i find the acceleration though?
davros
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A0W0N)
Ok thanks how do i find the acceleration though?
OK think about the 3 kg mass by itself. It's being pulled towards the pulley by a force T (tension in the string) and it accelerates towards the pulley with acceleration 'a', So how would you find 'a' using the normal Newton's 2nd law?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads