higgsmadi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've firmed my place for ports and was wondering if there is anywhere for me to park my car on campus. I need my car to get to placements. I could get private accommodation with parking but I want the experience of living in halls in first year.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
I'm fairly sure that the university owned halls will have parking, and parking is notoriously hard to find in Portsmouth. Your best bet might be to either go into private housing (where you can get parking permits to park on the street) or to look at a website like "Your Parking Space" where you pay monthly to have 24hr access to a parking space. I do know for sure that Catherine House has parking underground, but I'm not sure about residents using it
higgsmadi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm fairly sure that the university owned halls will have parking, and parking is notoriously hard to find in Portsmouth. Your best bet might be to either go into private housing (where you can get parking permits to park on the street) or to look at a website like "Your Parking Space" where you pay monthly to have 24hr access to a parking space. I do know for sure that Catherine House has parking underground, but I'm not sure about residents using it
Thank you! I'll look into that.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by higgsmadi)
I've firmed my place for ports and was wondering if there is anywhere for me to park my car on campus. I need my car to get to placements. I could get private accommodation with parking but I want the experience of living in halls in first year.
Hey higgsmadi

The University of Portsmouth website has a small article (https://kb.myport.ac.uk/Article/Inde...nts%20&id=1434) regarding parking in Portsmouth which might help.

But, from personal experience, it is significantly hard for parking as a student. Like the article suggests, only in certain circumstances can you park at any of the university car parks. Parking for a few hours is fine as there are plenty of paid parking spots, however if you are wanting to keep your car full time it will be very hard. The city is also increasing parking permits, so if you do go down the route of private accommodation, you will most likely need to change your DVLA address to the one in Portsmouth, which could be a bit of a hassle.

Do you know where your placements will be, as we have great transport links?

Courtney - Official Student Rep
higgsmadi
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey higgsmadi

The University of Portsmouth website has a small article (https://kb.myport.ac.uk/Article/Inde...nts%20&id=1434) regarding parking in Portsmouth which might help.

But, from personal experience, it is significantly hard for parking as a student. Like the article suggests, only in certain circumstances can you park at any of the university car parks. Parking for a few hours is fine as there are plenty of paid parking spots, however if you are wanting to keep your car full time it will be very hard. The city is also increasing parking permits, so if you do go down the route of private accommodation, you will most likely need to change your DVLA address to the one in Portsmouth, which could be a bit of a hassle.

Do you know where your placements will be, as we have great transport links?

Courtney - Official Student Rep
Hi Courtney, thanks for replying,
i could be doing placements in basingstoke, portsmouth, dover and southampton. i am a paramedic science applicant so i would be doing some night shifts on placement. Therefore i would really need a car as trains arent 24hrs. I've emailed [email protected], they have said i can apply for parking if i live outside of the PO6 postcode area of portsmouth. I might have to end up renting out a parking space monthly.

Madi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise