which is easier- physics a level or english lit?

Watch
Ananya.badithe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am in year 12 right now, doing 4 A levels... Physics, maths, English lit and psychology. I definitely dont want to drop psych or maths. I also staryed EPQ which made me think it would be foolish of me to continue with 4 A levels, right?

Now if I werw to drop one I dont know which one out of physics or eng. My current grade of english is like spread across a C all the way upto an A*. While for physics it was C but moved upto between B and A.
I write a lot myself, so I guess I have more of a touch with english outside of college itself.

One more thing to consider, for GCSEs, I had to work my arse off to get an 8 in English while for physics I got an 8 with little studying. I am afraid of all the remembering in English and I am not sure if I am good at writing on the spot. But I write amazing essays when given time (which are the A* ones btw).

Btw I like both the subjects. Maybe a little more comfy woth eng but Idk if I will be able to sit an exam with a time condition. But again for physics I waa consistently on Cs the first few months. And now I have gone up to more Bs.

Based on all this which A level do you think I should stick with? Also if it helps, I am really good at maths.
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It varies from person to person what they find easier. You sound fairly confident in both, but what you really should be basing your decision on is what you want to do with your A-Levels in the future.
If you want to pursue a STEM career (especially engineering), then dropping literature would be the obvious choice. On the other hand, literature might be more helpful if you decide to go to uni and take a course which involves a lot of writing, for example, although you'll still most likely be able to meet entry requirements with just psychology as your essay-subject.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh I dont see why you dont continue with 4 levels since you like both subjects and have the ability to achieve high in both of them. It's possible to do an EPQ and I think Possibly this did 4 A levels and an EPQ - do you have any advice for OP (I'm sorry if you didnt)?
Possibly this
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Tbh I dont see why you dont continue with 4 levels since you like both subjects and have the ability to achieve high in both of them. It's possible to do an EPQ and I think Possibly this did 4 A levels and an EPQ - do you have any advice for OP (I'm sorry if you didnt)?
Yes it is me doing 4 A-levels + EPQ.

As PetitePanda was saying, if you like all 4 subjects, don't pre-empt which one you think you'll do least well with, there's no point and there's been times where I've worried about each of my A-levels for different reasons.

For now, you seem to be doing well with 4 distinct A-levels and honestly EPQ is not that much work on top relative to the 4. I think you should be fine. If things do get worse for you and stay like that, then consider dropping something but until then, just see how it all goes.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Possibly this)
Yes it is me doing 4 A-levels + EPQ.

As PetitePanda was saying, if you like all 4 subjects, don't pre-empt which one you think you'll do least well with, there's no point and there's been times where I've worried about each of my A-levels for different reasons.

For now, you seem to be doing well with 4 distinct A-levels and honestly EPQ is not that much work on top relative to the 4. I think you should be fine. If things do get worse for you and stay like that, then consider dropping something but until then, just see how it all goes.
Ayeee I can always count on you on this
lg.enigma
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ananya.badithe)
I am in year 12 right now, doing 4 A levels... Physics, maths, English lit and psychology. I definitely dont want to drop psych or maths. I also staryed EPQ which made me think it would be foolish of me to continue with 4 A levels, right?

Now if I werw to drop one I dont know which one out of physics or eng. My current grade of english is like spread across a C all the way upto an A*. While for physics it was C but moved upto between B and A.
I write a lot myself, so I guess I have more of a touch with english outside of college itself.

One more thing to consider, for GCSEs, I had to work my arse off to get an 8 in English while for physics I got an 8 with little studying. I am afraid of all the remembering in English and I am not sure if I am good at writing on the spot. But I write amazing essays when given time (which are the A* ones btw).

Btw I like both the subjects. Maybe a little more comfy woth eng but Idk if I will be able to sit an exam with a time condition. But again for physics I waa consistently on Cs the first few months. And now I have gone up to more Bs.

Based on all this which A level do you think I should stick with? Also if it helps, I am really good at maths.
If I was your progress mentor I'd tell you to stick with English 100% if you already enjoy English outside of the school environment then you've already done half of the wok. Also time conditions is the easiest thing to work on in terms of essay writing, it comes with practice. And you will have extra time. From dropping physics sooo there's that. And regardless if you prefer doing English then you're going to be happier throughout the year when revising it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (13)
23.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
7.27%
No I am happy with my choice (35)
63.64%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads