username5289266
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
ok, so I'm an a-level student doing biology, chemistry and psychology. my target grade is A for all of them, dont have my predicted grades yest
I have no idea what course to do at uni, I'm interested in: medicine, pharmacology, pharmacy, biomedical science, chemistry and physiotherapy but the think is my first choice was always medicine. However, I'm not the most passionate about it and people say if you're not into medicine 100% then you shouldn't do it but I think I may regret not choosing medicine.
But then again, I don't know if I am capable of getting into medicine like I practically have no work experience and I have no recent extracurricular activities to put in my personal statement. I also am really out off my the whole UCAT and BMAT thing aswell and also how many years the course is.
I think I wouldn't be having this problem, if we were allowed to submit multiple personal statements to different universities, so I could've picked 5 univerisities choosing medicine and the other courses I was interested and tweaked each personal statement to be specific for each course, but we cannot do that.
Sorry for the rant, but any advice - should i forget about medicine or will i regret not trying
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by suzana2003)
...Sorry for the rant, but any advice - should i forget about medicine or will i regret not trying
No one is going to know and I am pretty sure someone will be along to say that you can do graduate entry medicine. Yes you can but it'll be harder than standard undergrad medicine so if your heart is set on doing medicine. Do that now if possible.

However, I'm not the most passionate about it and people say if you're not into medicine 100% then you shouldn't do it but I think I may regret not choosing medicine.
That's correct, but why did you want to do Medicine and have you done any research into the life of a doctor etc.?

...I practically have no work experience
Not ideal - maybe take a gap year? WE requirements will probably reduce for next year but in your case I will really recommend doing some work experience.

and I have no recent extracurricular activities to put in my personal statement.
Again, doesn't matter that much on the grand scheme of things.

I also am really out off my the whole UCAT and BMAT thing aswell and also how many years the course is.
UCAT and BMAT are tough, NGL. But every med student and doctor who entered the course after the mid 2000s had to do them.

I think I wouldn't be having this problem, if we were allowed to submit multiple personal statements to different universities, so I could've picked 5 univerisities choosing medicine and the other courses I was interested and tweaked each personal statement to be specific for each course, but we cannot do that.
You can send two personal statements - one for medicine and the other for your 5th option.

Remember if you can do 5 or 6 different personal statements, other people can too. It would have to be fair for everyone.
Last edited by ecolier; 6 months ago
thedentchlox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
have you considered dentistry
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by thedentchlox)
have you considered dentistry
:lol: As if it's any easier
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you could do anything else, guaranteed to get in, or medicine, guaranteed to get in, which would you pick?

As has been said, you can get work experience (even if it means a gap year), learn more about the exams and do well in them, etc - the question is really are you dedicated enough to medicine to put the work in. Ultimately people do get accepted to study medicine, and there will be things you can do to boost your chances.

If you're very unsure especially between different clinical subjects, which is understandable, ideally you would get some work experience/shadowing to get more of an idea of why they're different, which annoyingly you can't right now! But there are lots of online resources (eg, er, TSR) which you can use to ask people about their jobs or read what they've had to say. You can also look here (https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...f-covid-19.pdf) for some things you could do to find out more about medicine. I'm sure there will be similar resources for pharmacy/physiotherapy somewhere.

TL;DR: do some more research and see what you think. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (722)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (915)
42.88%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (404)
18.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.36%

Watched Threads