The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi, I’m currently a year 11 choosing their a level options and I’m very unsure about what to choose. English literature has always been one of my best subjects hence why I wanted to pick it for A-levels. I don’t know if it’s lockdown or something else, but recently I’ve gone off the idea of studying English lit- which has confused my family and friends massively. I think I feel somewhat pressured to pick it because everyone says I should- but I’m just not sure.Currently my choices are English lit, geography and psychology- but I really want to to history. Can anybody give their opinions on these subjects (the workload, the course, usefulness in regards to uni etc) I’m just really stuck at the minute and any advice from students currently studying a levels would be appreciated! Thankyou x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Lozie247
Hi, I’m currently a year 11 choosing their a level options and I’m very unsure about what to choose. English literature has always been one of my best subjects hence why I wanted to pick it for A-levels. I don’t know if it’s lockdown or something else, but recently I’ve gone off the idea of studying English lit- which has confused my family and friends massively. Everyone thinks I should do it but I’m just not sure. Currently my choices are English lit, geography and psychology- but I really want to to history. Can anybody give their opinions on these subjects (the workload, the course, usefulness in regards to uni etc) I’m just really stuck at the minute and any advice from students currently studying a levels would be appreciated! Thankyou x

Hey! I’ve just finished year 13 and did history, English and philosophy (RS).
In terms of uni, depending on what you want to do of course, universities do tend to look positively on candidates who have some of the ‘facilitating’ subjects which are the ones traditionally looked upon as ‘hard’ or complex including things like sciences, maths, history, geography, English, languages etc.
I’ll tell you how I found both English and history considering those are the ones I studied out of those you’re considering:
English Lit Lang - English for me was the easiest a level. It was pretty much the same as GCSE but different books. We had finished all of the content by December year 13. It was all of the same skills and unlike GCSE, we actually got to keep all of the texts in the exam so no remembering quotes etc. The workload was by no means strenuous and like everything, with balance, will become nothing of a problem. The coursework which we started at the end of year 12 might require a bit of getting used to but once that’s out of the way, it really is a walk in the park if you master the skills and the workload!
History - I loved history!!! The workload was a little bit more because of keeping up with so much content but it was so rewarding. The essay writing took a bit of readjusting because it was slightly different to how you would write a GCSE essay but by December year 12 our class had mastered it. With history, it really is just about getting your coursework out of the way which shouldn’t be too hard once you’ve got the hang of it, mastering the essay writing and I can’t stress enough - keeping up with all the content! There’s no sugarcoating that there is a lot to learn but it’s by no means too much if you keep up with it as you go and be sensible.
History and English are extremely useful and within reason will probably get you wherever you want to go but the same will go for the likes of geography and psychology. This is because they are all pretty similar essay subjects which test critical thinking, analytical thinking, logic, reason, argument and judgement etc.
I’m doing law at uni and am predicted 3 A*s if everything goes to plan.
Don’t be put off by anybody else’s opinion - the most important thing is picking what you love. Don’t listen to what’s easy/hard/useful - go with what you’re passionate about because this will make the hard revision on days you really don’t want to be doing it much more bearable! Plus, subjects you love will most likely lead to a degree you love and eventually a job too!
Happy to help with anything else!!! :smile:
Hey! Can't really talk for the others but I do A Level Geography and the workload is fine. I'm in year 12 and have never felt under a lot of pressure from the subject since I started the course. It's definitely the least work intensive out of my 3 (Geog, Maths and Biology). Geography is my favourite subject and I plan to study it at uni so maybe I don't find the workload that bad for that reason but geography isn't known for being too challenging.
Geography is a very versatile subject - can be applied to many degrees from anything science related to politics and economics so I would say that its very useful because the breadth of what geography covers is quite wide.
I have a few friends that study English Lit and History and both have heavy workloads. At the end of the day, A Levels are really challenging if you don't enjoy the subject so make sure whatever you choose is something that you're 100% passionate about.
Do consider that your mind might have changed given the current circumstances.
Just make sure you do what you will enjoy and trust your gut!
Sorry I couldn't be of much help with the whole English thing but just thought I'd let you know about geography.
Hope everything works out well for you!!
Hi @Lozie247!

Perhaps, read the A-Level specification for English Literature. Your passion for it might be re-ignited.

You said your options were English Literature, Geography and Psychology. But you also want to do History. So do you want to take 4 A-Levels?

I personally do A-Level Psychology so I can provide a bit of information on it.

Workload:
It is very content heavy and essay-based but doable if you keep on top of it.
You have to learn evaluations (there are many!) but some of the them are very easy to memorise, in my opinion.

Course content:
What exam board do you do? I believe the content varies for each exam board but I may be wrong. I do AQA.

Usefulness in regards to university:
There is a misconception that universities don’t see Psychology as a ‘hard’ A-Level. This is not true!
Psychology is a very good subject to take if you want a fun, relaxed subject compared to hardcore A-Levels if that makes sense?

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Psychology!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kath1809
In terms of uni, depending on what you want to do of course, universities do tend to look positively on candidates who have some of the ‘facilitating’ subjects which are the ones traditionally looked upon as ‘hard’ or complex including things like sciences, maths, history, geography, English, languages etc.

I'm sorry but the concept of 'facilitating' or 'respected' subjects no longer exists. It's an outdated idea that continues to be perpetuated by misinformed students, teachers and parents. Oxbridge and other elite universities have all confirmed that you can do pretty much any A level and you'll have a shot at any of the courses (assuming you also have the required subjects should there be any). Oxbridge admission tutors have also confirmed this on TSR.

@Lozie247, do whatever subjects you think you'll enjoy and will do well in. Don't worry about what's 'facilitating' or 'respected'; just do the subjects that you like because at the end of the day, the most important thing will be good grades which will be all the easier to get if you don't find actually like studying the subject.
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
I'm sorry but the concept of 'facilitating' or 'respected' subjects no longer exists. It's an outdated idea that continues to be perpetuated by misinformed students, teachers and parents. Oxbridge and other elite universities have all confirmed that you can do pretty much any A level and you'll have a shot at any of the courses (assuming you also have the required subjects should there be any). Oxbridge admission tutors have also confirmed this on TSR.

@Lozie247, do whatever subjects you think you'll enjoy and will do well in. Don't worry about what's 'facilitating' or 'respected'; just do the subjects that you like because at the end of the day, the most important thing will be good grades which will be all the easier to get if you don't find actually like studying the subject.

I’m very much informed thank you - the point I was making that some degrees such as law which I’ve personally been acquainted with require so many subjects out of a list of certain facilitating ones to be chosen. I didn’t say that any degree wouldn’t be open to anybody who doesn’t choose them but certain subjects become favoured for the skills they promote and rest, not simply because of their ‘respectability’. As stated, I said that the OP should choose whatever they enjoy, not whatever is deemed easy, hard or useful by anyone else.
the point I was making that some degrees such as law which I’ve personally been acquainted with require so many subjects out of a list of certain facilitating ones to be chosen.

This simply isn't the case anymore. Unless you can provide new and revolutionary evidence by admission tutors that, as you say, "universities do tend to look positively on candidates who have some of the ‘facilitating’ subjects which are the ones traditionally looked upon as ‘hard’ or complex including things like sciences, maths, history, geography, English, languages etc," it wouldn't be wise for future university applicants to not follow the current rhetoric that 'facilitating' subjects no longer exist and that they will not be viewed more favourably than those deemed otherwise.

OP and other future applicants only need to consider themselves with a) required grades and b) required subjects (if any).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
This simply isn't the case anymore. Unless you can provide new and revolutionary evidence by admission tutors that, as you say, "universities do tend to look positively on candidates who have some of the ‘facilitating’ subjects which are the ones traditionally looked upon as ‘hard’ or complex including things like sciences, maths, history, geography, English, languages etc," it wouldn't be wise for future university applicants to not follow the current rhetoric that 'facilitating' subjects no longer exist and that they will not be viewed more favourably than those deemed otherwise.

I said simply that they look positively on them which they undeniably do. I didn’t say they favour them over other subjects or that they don’t look positively on other candidates but for some subjects, what you’re implying simply isn’t true. At my own university interviews the admissions tutors were asked about this very topic and their answer is exactly what I’m saying - not that a traditional subject puts you in better stead than other subjects, but that it’s inevitable that the skills they use and test are looked positively on. Some subjects simply do require these subjects it’s not a case of me being a snob towards choices and subjects, it’s a case of university requirements for some courses. You’re nit-picking the rhetoric you’re critiquing and entirely missing the point. As I’ve said, anybody should pick what they’re passionate about😂😂😂😂
(edited 3 years ago)
I said simply that they look positively on them which they undeniably do.

Like I said, could you provide evidence of this?
Reply 9
Like I said, could you provide evidence of this?

My own admissions interviews haha. Subject requirements of ‘recommended’ subjects for certain degrees because as my point - they’re looking on the skills not the subject!!!!!!! You’re completely missing what I’m saying and picking out single sentences instead of reading the whole thing. Subject recommendations wouldn’t exist if what you’re saying is true haha.
I'm going to do history, geography and English language. could you not do history and geography
Reply 11
Hey! I’ve just finished year 13 and did history, English and philosophy (RS).
I’ll tell you how I found both English and history considering those are the ones I studied out of those you’re considering:
English Lit Lang - English for me was the easiest a level. It was pretty much the same as GCSE but different books. We had finished all of the content by December year 13. It was all of the same skills and unlike GCSE, we actually got to keep all of the texts in the exam so no remembering quotes etc. The workload was by no means strenuous and like everything, with balance, will become nothing of a problem. The coursework which we started at the end of year 12 might require a bit of getting used to but once that’s out of the way, it really is a walk in the park if you master the skills and the workload!
History - I loved history!!! The workload was a little bit more because of keeping up with so much content but it was so rewarding. The essay writing took a bit of readjusting because it was slightly different to how you would write a GCSE essay but by December year 12 our class had mastered it. With history, it really is just about getting your coursework out of the way which shouldn’t be too hard once you’ve got the hang of it, mastering the essay writing and I can’t stress enough - keeping up with all the content! There’s no sugarcoating that there is a lot to learn but it’s by no means too much if you keep up with it as you go and be sensible.
History and English are extremely useful and within reason will probably get you wherever you want to go but the same will go for the likes of geography and psychology. This is because they are all pretty similar essay subjects which test critical thinking, analytical thinking, logic, reason, argument and judgement etc.
I’m doing law at uni and am predicted 3 A*s if everything goes to plan.
Don’t be put off by anybody else’s opinion - the most important thing is picking what you love. Don’t listen to what’s easy/hard/useful - go with what you’re passionate about because this will make the hard revision on days you really don’t want to be doing it much more bearable! Plus, subjects you love will most likely lead to a degree you love and eventually a job too!
Happy to help with anything else!!! :smile:

Thankyou so much you’ve really helped me out! Xx
Reply 12
Original post by tuttifruity1206
Hey! Can't really talk for the others but I do A Level Geography and the workload is fine. I'm in year 12 and have never felt under a lot of pressure from the subject since I started the course. It's definitely the least work intensive out of my 3 (Geog, Maths and Biology). Geography is my favourite subject and I plan to study it at uni so maybe I don't find the workload that bad for that reason but geography isn't known for being too challenging.
Geography is a very versatile subject - can be applied to many degrees from anything science related to politics and economics so I would say that its very useful because the breadth of what geography covers is quite wide.
I have a few friends that study English Lit and History and both have heavy workloads. At the end of the day, A Levels are really challenging if you don't enjoy the subject so make sure whatever you choose is something that you're 100% passionate about.
Do consider that your mind might have changed given the current circumstances.
Just make sure you do what you will enjoy and trust your gut!
Sorry I couldn't be of much help with the whole English thing but just thought I'd let you know about geography.
Hope everything works out well for you!!

Thankyou so much! Xx
My own admissions interviews haha. Subject requirements of ‘recommended’ subjects for certain degrees because as my point - they’re looking on the skills not the subject!!!!!!! You’re completely missing what I’m saying and picking out single sentences instead of reading the whole thing. Subject recommendations wouldn’t exist if what you’re saying is true haha.

This is gaslighting on a whole new level. I really don't have the energy nor time of day for this.

In any case, I hope OP's gotten what they wanted from this thread because I sure have, and then some... :facepalm:
Reply 14
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi @Lozie247!

Perhaps, read the A-Level specification for English Literature. Your passion for it might be re-ignited.

You said your options were English Literature, Geography and Psychology. But you also want to do History. So do you want to take 4 A-Levels?

I personally do A-Level Psychology so I can provide a bit of information on it.

Workload:
It is very content heavy and essay-based but doable if you keep on top of it.
You have to learn evaluations (there are many!) but some of the them are very easy to memorise, in my opinion.

Course content:
What exam board do you do? I believe the content varies for each exam board but I may be wrong. I do AQA.

Usefulness in regards to university:
There is a misconception that universities don’t see Psychology as a ‘hard’ A-Level. This is not true!
Psychology is a very good subject to take if you want a fun, relaxed subject compared to hardcore A-Levels if that makes sense?

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Psychology!

Hi, im doing three a levels- I want to do history but I can’t workout which one of the three I’ve picked I want to drop! X thank you so much for the help! X
Hi, im doing three a levels- I want to do history but I can’t workout which one of the three I’ve picked I want to drop! X thank you so much for the help! X

Ah, I see. I would recommend looking at the course specifications for each of your subjects and then perhaps choosing that way?

Also, you could take all 4 subjects and see how they go once you start the course and drop one later. Another thing is perhaps email your school or ask older students at your school if there is any timetable clashes with your chosen subjects (although, I doubt there will be with your options!).

Just to re-iterate, since there was a bit of confusion on this thread, there is no such thing as a facilitating subject anymore. So if you want to choose Psychology A-Level, please do so!

DM or tag me into this thread with any Psychology questions/general questions about year 12 if you need any advice! I am currently in year 12 so hopefully I can provide some advice.

Whatever you choose, good luck and I wish you all the best x
Reply 16
Thankyou! You’ve been very helpful x
Hi, I’m currently a year 11 choosing their a level options and I’m very unsure about what to choose. English literature has always been one of my best subjects hence why I wanted to pick it for A-levels. I don’t know if it’s lockdown or something else, but recently I’ve gone off the idea of studying English lit- which has confused my family and friends massively. I think I feel somewhat pressured to pick it because everyone says I should- but I’m just not sure.Currently my choices are English lit, geography and psychology- but I really want to to history. Can anybody give their opinions on these subjects (the workload, the course, usefulness in regards to uni etc) I’m just really stuck at the minute and any advice from students currently studying a levels would be appreciated! Thankyou x

Hi @Lozie247,

I hope you are well,

I am glad you are seeking advice from The Student Room during these challenging times. Hopefully, I can help answer some of your questions and clear up any uncertainties you may have.

Firstly, you may want to consider selecting subjects which interest you the most. I can see from your post that you are conflicted between English Literature and History. Have you thought about what you would like to study at higher education or a career you would like to peruse after 6th Form/College? It may help you make a more informed decision on which A Levels you want to study.

From my experience, I studied (AQA) A Level Geography (2018/2019) and found the workload quite manageable. For many, understanding a breadth of the specification can be relatively straightforward. However, for others, the challenging part may be remembering the depth and details of case studies and processes.

An additional component to A Level Geography is the coursework (NEA- Non-examined Assessment). Depending on what your 6th Form/College decides to do, it may involve a field trip. Where you will likely plan an investigation and have to create a report discussing the data you have collected. The report for some can be quite a time consuming process. However, from my experience, it has been good practice for report writing at university, and it will likely help me with my future career.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest