The Student Room Group

Advice for Final Year LLB Law Student

Hi everyone!

Was just wondering if anyone has any advice for a final year law student in regards to my future plans.

I have not yet got a training contract, but do have a vacation scheme at an American Law Firm in London in June (if this still goes ahead of course...) Once this is completed I will automatically be placed on the application for a direct training contract at this firm. I also have a number of pending applications for training contracts at other top London law firms. I am unsure about what to do for my future. I have heard that London law firms tend to begin employing paralegals in June and July, but by this point I will not know if I have a training contract at all. I do not however want to miss out on paralegal jobs and end up without a legal job next year if I do not have a training contract.

My University, as usual, have not been particularly helpful, so was wondering whether anyone has any experience of being in a similar situation, or has any other advice for me. Anything would be really appreciated!

Thank you!
Original post by Student Guy 1998
Hi everyone!

Was just wondering if anyone has any advice for a final year law student in regards to my future plans.

I have not yet got a training contract, but do have a vacation scheme at an American Law Firm in London in June (if this still goes ahead of course...) Once this is completed I will automatically be placed on the application for a direct training contract at this firm. I also have a number of pending applications for training contracts at other top London law firms. I am unsure about what to do for my future. I have heard that London law firms tend to begin employing paralegals in June and July, but by this point I will not know if I have a training contract at all. I do not however want to miss out on paralegal jobs and end up without a legal job next year if I do not have a training contract.

My University, as usual, have not been particularly helpful, so was wondering whether anyone has any experience of being in a similar situation, or has any other advice for me. Anything would be really appreciated!

Thank you!

Strange you would slate Sheffield careers as have always found them to be lovely people and very helpful.
Just apply for both.
Get the best degree you can.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Strange you would slate Sheffield careers as have always found them to be lovely people and very helpful.
Just apply for both.
Get the best degree you can.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm sure they are lovely people but they probably won't help me as I do not go to that uni haha.
Original post by Student Guy 1998
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

I'd probably say apply for the paralegal roles since you have no other TC apps you're working on right now - I know a few final year students who are balancing exams (admittedly cw) with apps. Also, you cannot 100% rely on the TC conversion pulling though, and I feel like the conversion rates are particularly harsh at US firms. If you've got the knack of writing apps now then they shouldn't take too long to complete. Cover your own back!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending