The Student Room Group

Work experience in construction

Does anyone know where the best place to get work experience in the Construction Industry? I am very passionate about the industry and I am studying it for a degree? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Original post by albertft9
Does anyone know where the best place to get work experience in the Construction Industry? I am very passionate about the industry and I am studying it for a degree? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

It mainly depends on where you live/study and also can depend on what level of education you are in now. It might be worth having a look around at some local construction companies and seeing if they offer anything. Two years ago I did some work experience with AECOM which is an international engineering company, they don't directly do construction but they do work on the civil engineering side of some projects which is linked to construction.

It might be worth looking at some construction degree courses and trying to find out what companies graduates have gone on to work for, and then you could maybe try contacting those companies to see if the offer some kind of work experience...?
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Reach out to construction companies and engineering contractors via email and send a speculative application with your CV. Usually companies have an application process on their website though so take a look there first. If you're struggling for companies I'd highly recommend Gradcracker and just searching by industry.

Quick Reply

Latest