Suniya.m05
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey Guys! I just want to explain my current situation hoping that some of you could give me some valuable advice!
I’m currently in year 12 doing A Level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Halfway through year 12 I has to leave college as I moved houses. I was going through a rough patch with moving and other stuff. I started homeschooling and I’ve been doing well: I was well informed and researched how I would do exams, practicals and how to use UCAS etc. Since then COVID-19 has taken over and being at home all the time has really weighed me down. Normally I would take days out with friends, go to the library and Starbucks etc. but I just feel like with moving and COVID, that I’ve wasted year 12. I’ve also been in a dilemma with what to do at uni and have changed my mind a hundred times. I’m currently considering dentistry/medicine. I’m wondering if I should retake year 12 to catch up on content, get work experience and properly decide on what career I want to pursue. To add to that, I think retaking year 12 for me is a safe bet and my living situation may be rocky still due to family circumstances.
I’m predicted AAA
And this is what I got at GCSE:
English language-8
English Literature-9
Maths-7
Biology-6
Chemistry-6
Physics-6
Geography-8
Sociology-9
Child Development- A*
Art-6

Currently I’m a part time private tutor to a secondary student and I have 2 weeks work experience from an opticians.

If anyone could tell me if I have a chance for getting into dentistry/medicine if I retake year 12 it would be much appreciated! Or should I just cram in the content until September with no relevant work experience and no career direction.
Last edited by Suniya.m05; 5 months ago
Yazomi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Try your best the first time coz who knows you might get in if you work hard enough so you don’t need to wait another year.
UCLan Student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Suniya.m05)
Hey Guys! I just want to explain my current situation hoping that some of you could give me some valuable advice!
I’m currently in year 12 doing A Level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Halfway through year 12 I has to leave college as I moved houses. I was going through a rough patch with moving and other stuff. I started homeschooling and I’ve been doing well: I was well informed and researched how I would do exams, practicals and how to use UCAS etc. Since then COVID-19 has taken over and being at home all the time has really weighed me down. Normally I would take days out with friends, go to the library and Starbucks etc. but I just feel like with moving and COVID, that I’ve wasted year 12. I’ve also been in a dilemma with what to do at uni and have changed my mind a hundred times. I’m currently considering dentistry/medicine. I’m wondering if I should retake year 12 to catch up on content, get work experience and properly decide on what career I want to pursue. To add to that, I think retaking year 12 for me is a safe bet and my living situation may be rocky still due to family circumstances.
I’m predicted AAA
English language-8
English Literature-9
Maths-7
Biology-6
Chemistry-6
Physics-6
Geography-8
Sociology-9
Child Development- A*
Art-6

Currently I’m a part time private tutor to a secondary student and I have 2 weeks work experience from an opticians.

If anyone could tell me if I have a chance for getting into dentistry/medicine if I retake year 12 it would be much appreciated! Or should I just cram in the content until September with no relevant work experience and no career direction.
Hello there, :hello:

You sound liken you work hard and your predicted results show that! I think you should carry on to year 13 and start considering your uni options. You're going to be in a very similar boat to a lot of college students with the situation with Covid-19.

All the best,

Zach
Last edited by UCLan Student; 5 months ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Suniya.m05)
I’m predicted AAA
English language-8
English Literature-9
Maths-7
Biology-6
Chemistry-6
Physics-6
Geography-8
Sociology-9
Child Development- A*
Art-6

If you're thinking about medicine, retaking a year may make your application less competitive- but obviously there are exceptional circumstances going on right now!

Why not email some med schools and ask how they'd view a retake of Y12 given your circumstances?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
17.73%
I'm not sure (3)
2.13%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (48)
34.04%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (62)
43.97%

Watched Threads