The NHS has coped, The government line has worked

Watch
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
But reality seems to elude the British public.

A simple calculation should open some eyes...

Let's go back in time to March 15..when the UK had a mere 43 deaths....

Now let's take an average performance over those 65 days...

34,636 ÷ 65 =

Yes... The NHS lost 532 patients a day... Everyday for 2 month's... Just to a viral infection.

The UK has the youngest average population in the UK at 40.1 Years.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Probably more to do with the governments heinous policy of banishing the elderly to care homes, a move that has undoubtedly jacked the death toll up through the roof.
username5262632
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Probably more to do with the governments heinous policy of banishing the elderly to care homes, a move that has undoubtedly jacked the death toll up through the roof.
so they moved them to care homes for that reason?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by fortune816)
so they moved them to care homes for that reason?
They moved them to clear space in hospitals without testing many.
username5262632
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
They moved them to clear space in hospitals without testing many.
so where else were they meant to move them then
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The NHS has been able to treat those with Covid 19 who have required hospital treatment. It had the extra capacity available via the Nightingale Hospitals which the army helped build.

That is the only real area of success with the government approach. More people have died than would have been the case if large scale gatherings had been stopped before 3,000 people came from the Spanish Covid 19 hotspot Madrid to Liverpool, and if Cheltenham Races had been without spectators. The restrictions aka lockdown rules allowed people to go to beaches and tourist areas and increase infection there. Pubs and clubs should have been closed a week or more earlier. PPE and testing could have been available a lot sooner, especially when there were companies and labs offering to help.

Mr Johnson should be held accountable for these mass deaths, and I am convinced that another Tory leader would have acted sooner and so fewer people would have died.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Did we ever get around to proper testing BTW I thought we'd largely gave up on it, so it seems to render a lot of the data meaningless.
username5262632
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
The NHS has been able to treat those with Covid 19 who have required hospital treatment. It had the extra capacity available via the Nightingale Hospitals which the army helped build.

That is the only real area of success with the government approach. More people have died than would have been the case if large scale gatherings had been stopped before 3,000 people came from the Spanish Covid 19 hotspot Madrid to Liverpool, and if Cheltenham Races had been without spectators. The restrictions aka lockdown rules allowed people to go to beaches and tourist areas and increase infection there. Pubs and clubs should have been closed a week or more earlier. PPE and testing could have been available a lot sooner, especially when there were companies and labs offering to help.

Mr Johnson should be held accountable for these mass deaths, and I am convinced that another Tory leader would have acted sooner and so fewer people would have died.
Yeah but even if he had acted sooner some deaths would have been inevitable and he would have got blamed for it anyway so it’s kind of pointless as whatever the government does they’re going to get criticised for it - this is a pandemic, spreading is going to happen regardless
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Did we ever get around to proper testing BTW I thought we'd largely gave up on it, so it seems to render a lot of the data meaningless.
The deaths aren't exactly meaninglesss, as they determine the restrictions on our daily life.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Which then lead to mass infections in nursing homes....making an ageist decision on offering care by NHS consultants.. Because you fear the overflow of hospitals due to lack of capacity... Is the definition of not coping. So the government clearly lied at their daily pat on the back press conference... Hospitals aren't too full all fine.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The point was you don't move people in a pandemic without testing them first, which was the problem they created. Dispatching infected people back to carehomes who then infected others.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Which then lead to mass infections in nursing homes....making an ageist decision on offering care by NHS consultants.. Because you fear the overflow of hospitals due to lack of capacity... Is the definition of not coping. So the government clearly lied at their daily pat on the back press conference... Hospitals aren't too full all fine.
Indeed.
I am mildly curious who should get more of the blame though the NHS, who arguably were following orders, or PHE in which case it is decidedly the governments fault.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
The point of lockdown was actually to protect those most vulnerable, they should have isolated them and allowed them to die in hospital. By sending them back they allowed carehome staff without PPE to contract covid-19 and die at much higher rates then doctor's and nurses.. Also allowing this to cause massive spread in nursing homes.

Finally, the whole reason i at my pretty young fit age, have stayed home gladly was because i thought we were protecting older folks and saving lives. Rather all the government has done is robbed me of the gym for three month's and psychologically damaged me everyday around 3pm with their horrible death toll they keep pinging to my phone.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
But reality seems to elude the British public.

A simple calculation should open some eyes...

Let's go back in time to March 15..when the UK had a mere 43 deaths....

Now let's take an average performance over those 65 days...

34,636 ÷ 65 =

Yes... The NHS lost 532 patients a day... Everyday for 2 month's... Just to a viral infection.

The UK has the youngest average population in the UK at 40.1 Years.
Meanwhile, in 2018, there were 616,014 deaths. That is 1,687 a day. So simply looking at the figure of Covid deaths by itself is not very helpful.
Also, when you say the average age of the population is 40.1, are you talking mean, mode or median. All very different numbers. But the big question - is 40.1 good?
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)

It didn't even use those facilities... And they weren't ventilated beds. That's the issue, they just decided whom to let die, due to lack of ability or competence to treat. Germany has an average age of 47.1 year's... Much older and has faced 1/4 of the death's with a significantly larger population.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The deaths aren't exactly meaninglesss, as they determine the restrictions on our daily life.
I said data, not deaths. I don't have confidence that the figures presented have much in relation to reality at this point, they've been massaged so much they're perking up for a happy ending.
username5262632
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
The point was you don't move people in a pandemic without testing them first, which was the problem they created. Dispatching infected people back to carehomes who then infected others.
Care homes lowkey double up as hospitals anyway so it was the the best they could do at the time remember it’s really hard to contain a pandemic for gods sake so it makes sense and I don’t see how the hospital treatment would be much different from the care they would get in a care home, and what about the people in hospitals for reasons other than the virus, should we move them out too? Make hospitals Covid 19 only?
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Meanwhile, in 2018, there were 616,014 deaths. That is 1,687 a day. So simply looking at the figure of Covid deaths by itself is not very helpful.
Also, when you say the average age of the population is 40.1, are you talking mean, mode or median. All very different numbers. But the big question - is 40.1 good?
Obviously the median... Are you just trying to be clever or what's your point here....

Or are you not aware that having an older population is a negative in a disease like covid-19 which loves an older immune system is can trick?

The UK has a younger population then most EU countries what are you not understanding... That was the press/government line for claiming the death toll won't be so bad early on if you don't remember.

Italy and Germany for example have far older populations... 46.1 and 47.1....
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
I said data, not deaths. I don't have confidence that the figures presented have much in relation to reality at this point, they've been massaged so much they're perking up for a happy ending.
😂😂 I hear that.
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Rather all the government has done is robbed me of the gym for three month's and psychologically damaged me everyday around 3pm with their horrible death toll they keep pinging to my phone.
I saved myself from this 'psychological damage' early on by turning off the notifications from my guardian app.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (18)
32.73%
No - I have already returned home (8)
14.55%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (10)
18.18%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (2)
3.64%
No - I live at home during term anyway (17)
30.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed