The Student Room Group

What type of law allows you to practice in multiple countries?

I'm in Year 12, and hoping to study law at university. I've always wanted to be a lawyer since I admire the humanitarian aspect of it, I find law incredibly interesting, etc.
I'm not really sure where I want to study yet, but I'm open to many options.

One thing that I always found a bit limiting with law is that it is difficult to practice in other countries. Eg. if I study law in England (British law), I will be confined to practicing in the UK for the rest of my career. I could study Law with French/Italian/German law at university, but even then, I can only practice in 2 countries. My dream is to live across Europe and the Americas in my life.

Basically, is there any type of law that would allow me to practice in many different countries? I know this is a stupid question but I just wanted to know what you think! I've never studied law before so I'm really new to the topic :smile:
Reply 1
How about Human Rights law?
And thank you for your help. If it comes down to it, I'd pick law above travelling a lot, because I suppose you can still travel in holidays and retirement.
Original post by chloenix
I admire the humanitarian aspect of it, I find law incredibly interesting, etc.

classic aspiring lawyer

--

no there's essentially not. firstly, a degree in law is generally tailored the law of the country you're in, within only some areas applying to other countries since other countries have different laws. secondly, all countries have their own post graduate qualification system and having passed the bar in the uk does not entitle you to practice law somewhere in europe
Reply 3
This was so detailed, thank you so much! Do you know what European Law is, in simple terms? As I said, I have absolutely no knowledge of law (although I plan to do a lot of research and reading this summer once my exams are over).
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
classic aspiring lawyer

--

no there's essentially not. firstly, a degree in law is generally tailored the law of the country you're in, within only some areas applying to other countries since other countries have different laws. secondly, all countries have their own post graduate qualification system and having passed the bar in the uk does not entitle you to practice law somewhere in europe

Thank you for your reply :smile:
Reply 5
Ah okay I understand, thanks.
I'm not too bothered about the money to be honest. Of course I'd like enough to sustain myself but I don't aspire to be wealthy or anything like that.
I'm actually from France originally and moved here when I was 6 (so I have an EU passport). I've always has the option, therefore, of studying in France or studying law with French law and practicing over there. Would you recommend for me to practice in England instead? I like both countries equally so it's not really a problem, but if UK lawyers have a higher quality of work-life, then I will obviously opt to study and work here :smile:
Reply 6
Okay great, thank you so much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending