chibibotto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hola! I'm a year 12 Spanish student and the film my school has chosen to teach is Volver.
I am practising my essay writing and was looking at the question, "¿Como se presenta solidaridad femenina en la película Volver?" (How is female solidarity presented in Volver?)
If anyone can help me come up with some good, strong points I would be grateful!

Thanks!
Last edited by chibibotto; 6 months ago
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Do you mean mujer instead of muerte? The presentation of death would be quite a different essay question :lol:
chibibotto
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
Do you mean mujer instead of muerte? The presentation of death would be quite a different essay question :lol:
Oopsie, yes I did mean mujer! Well, female solidarity anyway haha
I just finished an essay on death and must've gotten confused 😂
Last edited by chibibotto; 6 months ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by chibibotto)
Oopsie, yes I did mean mujer! Well, female solidarity anyway haha
I just finished an essay on death and must've gotten confused 😂
Hahaha I was wondering as both make sense for Volver 😂
Spanishstarfish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Just did this essay! How strange😂
Have you already seen Volver? It’s a great film.
I talked about the how the difference between rural/ urban environment affected the solidarity. In the city, Raimunda has her sister look after her daughter, and enlists Regina to help bury paco even though she isn’t legally documented.
However, the way the way the women all unite admits death highlights a solidarity that goes beyond generations, and beyond immediate family. There seems a mutual understanding of what women must do to survive in their world.
I also discussed how solidarity provides a safety net for the women. Perhaps this can be seen as selfish.
I would also talk about Almodóvar’s life and his relationship with women and the importance of women in tradition in La Mancha.
Almodóvar was right to say that Almodóvar was wrote to say that Volver is a film about women, for women.
chibibotto
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
Hahaha I was wondering as both make sense for Volver 😂
Yep haha! You seem to have good knowledge of Spanish and Volver, are you Spanish or perhaps studying Spanish?

And any advice on this theme would be welcome I'm hoping to have this essay plan finished for a few days' time. I haven't done much work on themed essays yet, just death and this one on women and solidarity
chibibotto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spanishstarfish)
Just did this essay! How strange😂
Have you already seen Volver? It’s a great film.
I talked about the how the difference between rural/ urban environment affected the solidarity. In the city, Raimunda has her sister look after her daughter, and enlists Regina to help bury paco even though she isn’t legally documented.
However, the way the way the women all unite admits death highlights a solidarity that goes beyond generations, and beyond immediate family. There seems a mutual understanding of what women must do to survive in their world.
I also discussed how solidarity provides a safety net for the women. Perhaps this can be seen as selfish.
I would also talk about Almodóvar’s life and his relationship with women and the importance of women in tradition in La Mancha.
Almodóvar was right to say that Almodóvar was wrote to say that Volver is a film about women, for women.
Ah cool! I've seen it in bits because we were watching it as a class in my college but then it shut because of coronavirus 😖 So most of the film I'd say - no spoilers please!! Though I've looked up some of the plot to be able to practise these essays rn and get ahead before we do essays in my class.
Those points are absolutely amazing! I'm sure you'll do great on that essay / did great if it was a graded one. Do you take English by any chance because that analysis is great!

There's this list of essay titles I saw somewhere on the tes website where I've been finding these. First I did character essays, now I'm trying themes but it's waaaay harder 😅 I'm just glad they didnt include the movie in my recent mocks haha
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yep haha! You seem to have good knowledge of Spanish and Volver, are you Spanish or perhaps studying Spanish?

And any advice on this theme would be welcome I'm hoping to have this essay plan finished for a few days' time. I haven't done much work on themed essays yet, just death and this one on women and solidarity
I did Spanish A level and watched Volver but didn't study it sadly! We did El Laberinto del Fauno and Como Agua Para Chocolate.
It's been ages since I saw the film so I don't really feel qualified to advise in detail :sorry:
If it's any help I used the modern languages study guide for A level and there's one for Volver; maybe you could e-borrow it from your school library or something? For my set texts they had really great theme pages. This also looks quite interesting: https://www.asharperfocus.com/Volver.html If you have JSTOR access as well that can be useful for high-level critical stuff.
:goodluck:
Spanishstarfish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ah cool! I've seen it in bits because we were watching it as a class in my college but then it shut because of coronavirus 😖 So most of the film I'd say - no spoilers please!! Though I've looked up some of the plot to be able to practise these essays rn and get ahead before we do essays in my class.
Those points are absolutely amazing! I'm sure you'll do great on that essay / did great if it was a graded one. Do you take English by any chance because that analysis is great!

There's this list of essay titles I saw somewhere on the tes website where I've been finding these. First I did character essays, now I'm trying themes but it's waaaay harder 😅 I'm just glad they didnt include the movie in my recent mocks haha
Ah thank you!!
Yes I do study English lit and I love analysis so it makes it a bit easier
Themes can be harder, maybe have a google of some key themes like death, love, solidarity etc- that might help!
Do let me know if I can help at all with Volver or Spanish. I’m preparing for my mocks atm and a bit nervous for Spanish!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (658)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (832)
42.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (381)
19.44%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.54%

Watched Threads