The Student Room Group

Laptop storage help

The thing is, one is simply way faster but the other would help me avoid any limitations when it comes to storing games especially considerig most games now can go up to 100GB.

A 4TB HDD by WD or a 500GB SSD by Samsung
(edited 3 years ago)
Sorry I meant to write considering*
Are you comparing hard drives to SSDs?
Original post by Theloniouss
Are you comparing hard drives to SSDs?

Yes. It is so difficult to pay for a 500GB SSD when I can get 8 times the storage at least but HDD
Nice! My C drive is a 128gb SSD so I'm not sure if I should add an SSD or HDD (considering price).
Original post by Sorryforhurtingu
Yes. It is so difficult to pay for a 500GB SSD when I can get 8 times the storage at least but HDD

Get both
Get both

If I had to choose one to join the drive I use for my OS (a 128gb SSD) what would be better though?
If I had to choose one to join the drive I use for my OS (a 128gb SSD) what would be better though?

No idea. Up to you, depends what you use it for.
HDD is better imo as right now SSD prices are very expensive as such probably better off waiting for them to come down. HDD is not as fast but still fine and WD hard drives are very good quality i own 4 of them no complaints
Original post by Cheesybread
HDD is better imo as right now SSD prices are very expensive as such probably better off waiting for them to come down. HDD is not as fast but still fine and WD hard drives are very good quality i own 4 of them no complaints

I'm planning on getting WD My Passport 4TB. Most people say the read/write speeds are around 100mbps. Is that fine for standard gaming on the go? Also, is your hard drive by any chance loud?
The thing is, the SSD I would need is a M.2 2230 and the whole process of upgrading an internal component seems long. I feel like 128gb is perfectly fine for just Windows.
No idea. Up to you, depends what you use it for.

Yeah, I guess.
I'm planning on getting WD My Passport 4TB. Most people say the read/write speeds are around 100mbps. Is that fine for standard gaming on the go? Also, is your hard drive by any chance loud?

My 4tb is a little loud, but my 2tb is silent. I don't know what the read write speeds are but you can get special gaming hard drives on the WD website and a good discount if your a student
Original post by Cheesybread
My 4tb is a little loud, but my 2tb is silent. I don't know what the read write speeds are but you can get special gaming hard drives on the WD website and a good discount if your a student

I've noticed that under specifications for the 4TB version some websites mention some sort of battery component while for the 2TB version none ever mention anything to do with a battery so that might be the reason for the 4TB one being a little bulkier and louder. The gaming ones seem to be catered towards an actual PS4 but I get what you mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending