Harajukufruits
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello there! My friend recommended I ask for advice here so here it goes.

A bit of back story - my mum left me in 2011 and I lived with my dad up until 2 years ago when I cut ties due to issues. I lived at YMCA for a year until going to university. I hadn't spoken to my mum since 2011, up until very recently. Last year when applying for student finance I applied as an estranged student with supporting letters from my college and YMCA key workers.

Due to the current crisis, I am now living with my mum for the first time in almost a decade. I have been very emotionally traumatised from the entire experience, so our relationship isn't amazing and I wouldn't really class her as a mother. I am only living here out of having no choice. I'm not sure what my estrangement status would be classed as now? It's especially difficult when it comes to student finance. I am really stuck on what kind of decision to make. I feel like my relationship with my mum is on very rocky conditions, and isn't strong at all. I don't get financial support from her either. What should I do? I'm kind of freaking out. Because I don't want to be left in a financially difficult situation if I don't class as an estranged student anymore. I can provide any extra info needed.
Harajukufruits
Rep:
?
Hoping to get answers for this!!!
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Harajukufruits)
Hello there! My friend recommended I ask for advice here so here it goes.

A bit of back story - my mum left me in 2011 and I lived with my dad up until 2 years ago when I cut ties due to issues. I lived at YMCA for a year until going to university. I hadn't spoken to my mum since 2011, up until very recently. Last year when applying for student finance I applied as an estranged student with supporting letters from my college and YMCA key workers.

Due to the current crisis, I am now living with my mum for the first time in almost a decade. I have been very emotionally traumatised from the entire experience, so our relationship isn't amazing and I wouldn't really class her as a mother. I am only living here out of having no choice. I'm not sure what my estrangement status would be classed as now? It's especially difficult when it comes to student finance. I am really stuck on what kind of decision to make. I feel like my relationship with my mum is on very rocky conditions, and isn't strong at all. I don't get financial support from her either. What should I do? I'm kind of freaking out. Because I don't want to be left in a financially difficult situation if I don't class as an estranged student anymore. I can provide any extra info needed.
Hi there, this would be something an estrangement assessor would review, have you completed the estrangement form?
Thanks, Isaac
Harajukufruits
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi there, this would be something an estrangement assessor would review, have you completed the estrangement form?
Thanks, Isaac
I did last year for my first year on university and it got approved. I am now applying for the second year and have been in contact with my teacher to try and get them to confirm it for me.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Harajukufruits)
I did last year for my first year on university and it got approved. I am now applying for the second year and have been in contact with my teacher to try and get them to confirm it for me.
If your teacher writes a letter explaining the situation and then you send this in, our assessors will review your case.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.17%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (102)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
37.95%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed