Degree choice - Chemistry vs. English Literature

Watch
cbutler100
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
so im currently in y12, and thinking about what i want to apply to do at university and im torn between the two. I love both the subjects but in different ways and am at a samilar ability in both - target is an A* in Lit and targets an A in Chemistry. im worried about univeristy choice as i want to stay local and close to home as i suffer anxiety and other mental health issues and this reason im slightly put off studying chemistry as only 3 local unis offer chemistry while all 5 local ones offer english lit. Its stressing me out as i want to study an EPQ which we need to decide a topic on within the next month or so which i was hoping would be targeted towards my degree prospects. i know this is early as ucas isnt for months yet but i was wondering if anyone could give any advice on how to choose as im the most difficult person in the world for making decisions ahah.
CaramelCamel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I'm indecisive as well (and also Y12) but don't worry as we still have at least until September to make a decision.

Chemistry and English literature are very different subjects. A chemistry degree is likely to involve a lot of lab work and some maths, whereas English literature will have a lot of reading and, depending on the university/course, drama. So the first thing to do would be to consider what you'd want to actually be doing on your course, whether you'd rather read books or do experiments. That is a very simplified version of the courses but it's one way to look at it. Have a look at what the universities you want to go to teach because different courses will vary as some are more hands-on than others or look at topics that do or don't interest you.

Also, look at what jobs you can do afterwards. Lots of jobs are open to graduates in any subject but there are others where either chemistry or English literature might be a requirement or an advantage. For example, English literature graduates often go into teaching, publishing or marketing, whereas chemistry graduates become chemical engineers, research scientists or forensic scientists and I imagine it would also be a great subject to do if yo decide to do a masters in something healthcare-related.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Which A levels would you do? Lets say you take maths, chemistry and Eng lit, or Chem, bio and Eng lit. Both perfectly good options for either course. You really don't need to do an EPQ which is related to the course you wish to study at university for either course at university. Certainly not for chemistry.

Its great that you have a few local options for either course. You only need one so the difference between 3 and 5 is not significant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (294)
43.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed