The Student Room Group

What have people done with their Gap years?

I am thinking of taking a gap year this year and applying to oxford. I would work and study in the first half of the year and then travel or do something else in the second half.
What do people think about taking a gap year in the current climate?
Who else is thinking of differing this year and reapplying?
if you have clear plans only. Apply to places first, plan out travel fee, visa, accom etc... and be sure you can go.
Of course, in light of these events, taking a gap year doesn't have the stigma it used to have. But uni like oxford like to look carefully at everything, so make sure you have done something meaningful in your gap year!
Reply 2
Original post by Arctic Kitten
if you have clear plans only. Apply to places first, plan out travel fee, visa, accom etc... and be sure you can go.
Of course, in light of these events, taking a gap year doesn't have the stigma it used to have. But uni like oxford like to look carefully at everything, so make sure you have done something meaningful in your gap year!

Sorry, what do you mean apply to places first?
Jobs are going to be hard to come by this year. Loads of people will be looking. Travelling will also have major restrictions and could be more costly in order to keep running with the lower amount of predicated travellers.
Original post by CheltBoii
Sorry, what do you mean apply to places first?

You say you would work right? then you should apply for jobs :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Arctic Kitten
You say you would work right? then you should apply for jobs :smile:

Ah sorry i get you. I already have a job but i mean i dont want to be bored for the gap year but think would like to take a gap year in order to decide waht to do at uni etc. I dont feel ready to commit to uni at this point

Quick Reply

Latest