Urgent! Retake yr12? Can i do dentistry?

Watch
Suniya.m05
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey Guys! I just want to explain my current situation hoping that some of you could give me some valuable advice!
I’m currently in year 12 doing A Level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Halfway through year 12 I has to leave college as I moved houses. I was going through a rough patch with moving and other stuff. I started homeschooling and I’ve been doing well: I was well informed and researched how I would do exams, practicals and how to use UCAS etc. Since then COVID-19 has taken over and being at home all the time has really weighed me down. Normally I would take days out with friends, go to the library and Starbucks etc. but I just feel like with moving and COVID, that I’ve wasted year 12. I’ve also been in a dilemma with what to do at uni and have changed my mind a hundred times. I’m currently considering dentistry/medicine. I’m wondering if I should retake year 12 to catch up on content, get work experience and properly decide on what career I want to pursue. To add to that, I think retaking year 12 for me is a safe bet and my living situation may be rocky still due to family circumstances.
I’m predicted AAA
And this is what I got at GCSE:
English language-8
English Literature-9
Maths-7
Biology-6
Chemistry-6
Physics-6
Geography-8
Sociology-9
Child Development- A*
Art-6

Currently I’m a part time private tutor to a secondary student and I have 2 weeks work experience from an opticians.

If anyone could tell me if I have a chance for getting into dentistry/medicine if I retake year 12 it would be much appreciated! Or should I just cram in the content until September with no relevant work experience and no career direction.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm pretty sure you have posted about this already and the advice you got was to contact med schools and see how they would view you retaking the year.

So, that's what you need to do.
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You would have to check but i think some medical schools would want you to have done your a levels in 2 years so you would have to enquire about resits.
In terms of grades, i know some medical schools would want at least 7s in GCSE sciences
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Suniya.m05)
Hey Guys! I just want to explain my current situation hoping that some of you could give me some valuable advice!
I’m currently in year 12 doing A Level Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Halfway through year 12 I has to leave college as I moved houses. I was going through a rough patch with moving and other stuff. I started homeschooling and I’ve been doing well: I was well informed and researched how I would do exams, practicals and how to use UCAS etc. Since then COVID-19 has taken over and being at home all the time has really weighed me down. Normally I would take days out with friends, go to the library and Starbucks etc. but I just feel like with moving and COVID, that I’ve wasted year 12. I’ve also been in a dilemma with what to do at uni and have changed my mind a hundred times. I’m currently considering dentistry/medicine. I’m wondering if I should retake year 12 to catch up on content, get work experience and properly decide on what career I want to pursue. To add to that, I think retaking year 12 for me is a safe bet and my living situation may be rocky still due to family circumstances.
I’m predicted AAA
And this is what I got at GCSE:
English language-8
English Literature-9
Maths-7
Biology-6
Chemistry-6
Physics-6
Geography-8
Sociology-9
Child Development- A*
Art-6

Currently I’m a part time private tutor to a secondary student and I have 2 weeks work experience from an opticians.

If anyone could tell me if I have a chance for getting into dentistry/medicine if I retake year 12 it would be much appreciated! Or should I just cram in the content until September with no relevant work experience and no career direction.
Retaking year 12 is not normally a problem but it might be for Dentistry and Medicine which are very difficult to get in. You really need proper advice from the universities that you are interested in. It is odd to see that you are looking at science subjects and courses when your grades suggest you are better at humanities. To be honest I suspect you will struggle to get into these courses.
Suniya.m05
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Retaking year 12 is not normally a problem but it might be for Dentistry and Medicine which are very difficult to get in. You really need proper advice from the universities that you are interested in. It is odd to see that you are looking at science subjects and courses when your grades suggest you are better at humanities. To be honest I suspect you will struggle to get into these courses.
I was a few marks off 7’s in sciences and had supply teachers for science at secondary school. During my time at college, I was getting all A’s and A*s which were the same grades achieved by people who had 9’s at GCSE. I think I’m not going to retake year 12 and just stick at it and put the time in. Thanks for your advice
Suniya.m05
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily5243)
You would have to check but i think some medical schools would want you to have done your a levels in 2 years so you would have to enquire about resits.
In terms of grades, i know some medical schools would want at least 7s in GCSE sciences
Thanks for this, I’ll have a look.
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I'm pretty sure you have posted about this already and the advice you got was to contact med schools and see how they would view you retaking the year.

So, that's what you need to do.
Yes, sorry I just wanted to make sure it was out there. Thanks for your advice
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I was a few marks off 7’s in sciences and had supply teachers for science at secondary school. During my time at college, I was getting all A’s and A*s which were the same grades achieved by people who had 9’s at GCSE. I think I’m not going to retake year 12 and just stick at it and put the time in. Thanks for your advice
The problem is that with Medicine and Dentistry there are many times more applicants rejected than accepted and 6s in Science courses dont look good against other applicants. These are amongst the hardest courses to get onto.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Having supply teachers won't be considered an extenuating circumstances, just so you're aware- not that 7s will be a problem.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Having supply teachers won't be considered an extenuating circumstances, just so you're aware- not that 7s will be a problem.
Chemistry, Biology and Physics were all 6s
Suniya.m05
Rep:
?
So do you think I won’t be able to go into dentistry with 6’s?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Chemistry, Biology and Physics were all 6s
So do you think I won’t be able to go into dentistry with 6’s?
In some cases, 6s are fine. There's a good summary of admissions requirements here: https://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/d...uirements.html

It will limit where you can apply to, but there are unis that will accept 6s for dentistry- but usually not A-level resits, although the current circumstances may mean they will accept a resit year. I think most unis that accept 6s will need you to sit the UKCAT, though.

ETA: Manchester will consider students with resits and 6s if you get A*AA.
Last edited by SarcAndSpark; 6 months ago
Suniya.m05
Rep:
?
In some cases, 6s are fine. There's a good summary of admissions requirements here: https://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/d...uirements.html

It will limit where you can apply to, but there are unis that will accept 6s for dentistry- but usually not A-level resits, although the current circumstances may mean they will accept a resit year. I think most unis that accept 6s will need you to sit the UKCAT, though.

ETA: Manchester will consider students with resits and 6s if you get A*AA.
This is so helpful thanks so much.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This is so helpful thanks so much.
I'd strongly suggest contacting unis before you apply- they will usually tell you outright if you've got no chance at all of getting an offer, which will save you wasting a space on your UCAS form for a uni who won't accept you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads