EleanorNoble
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hiya everyone, I am taking AH biology, chemistry and English this year and wondering if anyone has recommendations for textbooks etc?
HarisMalik98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For Biology and Chemistry,

Combine SCHOLAR notes with the BrightRed study guides and you will be sorted.

Some people recommend uni-level textbooks for AH topics but I don't. Unless you plan on doing biology or chemistry at uni, it will be a waste of money because you will only read about 20% of it - if that! Also, the level of detail can often exceed the AH content - whereas the BrightRed and SCHOLAR books are written specifically for the AH course.

If you're struggling with a particular topic and need more insight than what SCHOLAR or BrightRed offer... instead of consulting a uni-level textbook - i'd recommend watching youtube animations and videos. There are certain topics (especially cellular processes in unit 1) that are much easier learned when visualised.

Or of course you can just ask questions on here and someone can help you out!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by EleanorNoble)
Hiya everyone, I am taking AH biology, chemistry and English this year and wondering if anyone has recommendations for textbooks etc?
For Advanced Higher English, I'd recommend reading some books for your dissertation. Make sure they're of quite a high literary standard. If you've already read them before the start of term in August, this will help quite considerably.

Some books that I'd recommend for dissertations are:

- 1984 by George Orwell
- The Colour Purple by Alice Walker
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
- Man in the High Castle by Philip K ****
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Catcher in the Rye by L.D Salinger
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by HarisMalik98)
... SCHOLAR books are written specifically for the AH course.
Thanks for the recommendation HarisMalik98! Our online materials are available to download as PDF Study Guides via the Resources menu in each SCHOLAR course. If you would prefer printed versions, these are available to purchase, and are then printed on demand, from: https://books.scholar.hw.ac.uk/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
14.1%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
26.92%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.03%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.74%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed