Lozie247
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Which a- level is better and why? History or English lit??
(My other subjects are psychology and geography)
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lozie247)
Which a- level is better and why? History or English lit??
(My other subjects are psychology and geography)
Hi I've moved this to the A-level forum, hopefully someone will be able to help here
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Both are equally as good.
If you're talking about subjectively, as in which one is good for the course you want to do at university or which one you're more likely to excel at, then that's another thing and you haven't provided any information on that.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What do you want to do in the future? What do you enjoy more? What do you like about them and what do you dislike?
Watermelon286
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Im yr 13 and did AQA English lit. Personally I think English is better and easier. The level of essay writing is a big jump from GCSE and it shocked me quite a bit so I was doing pretty bad throughout AS like D’s and C’s. However I ended up getting a B at AS so it was okay. And then the level jumps up again when you enter yr13 ( your expected to write at a higher level and be more in-depth with analysis). If you like/don’t mind reading and can write a good essay I think you will find English easier than History. I didn’t do History but I can imagine there’s a lot of random stuff u have to remember as well as write decent essays. And although you have to remember stuff for English - it isn’t anything specific. Like your not cramming information, you get me? If you’ve read the books at least once and understand stuff in class I think it’s not too difficult.

And if you enjoy studying literature, and debating the intricate details as to why YOU think an author did something in order to achieve a specific effect. And can form your argument in a clear, though out, thorough way. You’ll do well and enjoy the course.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions.
lixxy0714
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i take history, english lit, psych and economics
i think i can help but can you tell me which subjects you think you'd enjoy, what you want to do after alevel etc?
Lozie247
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by lixxy0714)
i take history, english lit, psych and economics
i think i can help but can you tell me which subjects you think you'd enjoy, what you want to do after alevel etc?
Hi, I’m doing psychology and geography and I want to do a degree in criminology x
lixxy0714
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lozie247)
Hi, I’m doing psychology and geography and I want to do a degree in criminology x
in that case i'd recommend english literature, my sister took psych, crim and sociology and is now doing a degree in law and always wishes she'd taken english literature.

personally i find english lit to be a more interesting subject than history, they're both content heavy and are obviously very essay based so do take that into consideration. one key difference between the two is that whilst both include alot of analysation lit is more about literary techniques, interpretations and technicalities as well as your own opinion whereas history is a lot more of regurgitating facts and adding your opinion to that, what are your strong points when it comes to essays?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (90)
28.3%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.58%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
19.18%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.06%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
29.87%

Watched Threads