The Student Room Group

Friendship destroyed after he caught feels

Ok so I have a question for you guys

So imagine you’re really good friends with someone. You two are really close. And you start to develop feelings for that person. You tell them, and they politely decline and try not to make it awkward. Would you stop talking to them all together after that?

This happened to me... I told him really politely that I didn’t like him like that in the nicest way possible. I just wanted to see if u guys thought his reaction (ie ending our friendship) is normal.
Of course not. Just because your best friend does not like you back does not mean the end of a friendship so not worth it man.
Original post by Anonymous

So imagine you’re really good friends with someone. You two are really close. And you start to develop feelings for that person. You tell them, and they politely decline and try not to make it awkward. Would you stop talking to them all together after that?

This happened to me... I told him really politely that I didn’t like him like that in the nicest way possible. I just wanted to see if u guys thought his reaction (ie ending our friendship) is normal.

l dont think its very normal it was your choice l think you should still talk with the guy

It kinda is. If that person has feelings for you, he might need some space to get over you and it is probably difficult for him to act as if nothing happened. It’s pretty normal according to me
Reply 4

possibly...

Got rejected by a guy friend in a really nice way and we're still friends. For some people it's more difficult to deal with especially of they went into the friendship with a relationship in mind. Depends on who you deal with it.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for the replies- I just wanted to see what other people thought lol as I tried putting myself in his shoes and honestly didn’t know what to think :smile:
He has started talking to me again a little bit but baby steps I guess. It’s nice seeing everyone else’s perspective here:smile:

He is overreacting. You should stay friends.
Thanks everyone for the replies- I just wanted to see what other people thought lol as I tried putting myself in his shoes and honestly didn’t know what to think :smile:
He has started talking to me again a little bit but baby steps I guess. It’s nice seeing everyone else’s perspective here:smile:

Yh, but I see where he's coming from. When I got rejected I went cold turkey on the guy for a bit just because I wanted to sort myself out and figure out what I wanted and talking to him didn't help because I was still in the wanting to date mindset. So give him time. :smile:
Reply 9

hey, i had a friend of mine who went through the same thing. she didn't handle it well at all. she rejected him slightly, but to some extent still gave him hope saying that the 'timing wasn't right' and ''who knows in the future', knowing full well that she didn't like him. she only said all of this because she didn't want to lose the friendship with him or make it awkward between them. the guy is my best friend so i know his perspective on this, and he feels like she's leading him on, and if anything it's only making it harder for him to get over her. my best advice (the same advice i gave to him) is to give it time, and have a bit of distance between you, at least until he's cleared his head a little. there's no saying that he'll get over you, but if he values the friendship more than his feelings for you then you guys will be fine.
Original post by emily_000
He is overreacting. You should stay friends.

I disagree. Getting rejected by someone can really hurt. I don’t think he is overreacting. I probably would react the same way. They can stay friends but he should have some space first for a while to get over her.
Original post by JaCariah
I disagree. Getting rejected by someone can really hurt. I don’t think he is overreacting. I probably would react the same way. They can stay friends but he should have some space first for a while to get over her.

Bee rejected does hurt so much its like when you have been cheated on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending