Bananasplit101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So I deferred uni last year and I’m heading there in September. It’s been 2 years since I did media at college and decided I wanted to work in marketing. I am now worried I won’t be as good as I was then. Do I need to know much before I go to uni? Or can I start fairly fresh on the subject?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Bananasplit101)
So I deferred uni last year and I’m heading there in September. It’s been 2 years since I did media at college and decided I wanted to work in marketing. I am now worried I won’t be as good as I was then. Do I need to know much before I go to uni? Or can I start fairly fresh on the subject?
Fresh will be fine. I expect the most you will need are study skills, research, problem solving , essay writing.
More people will be interested in getting to know each other and having a laugh in year 1.

Something like this. You really dont have anything to worry about.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Study-Skill...9840978&sr=8-3
Plaguedbyfoibles
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2784071 might be of use to you - from what I can glean, it might be wise to brush up on your statistics and maybe some psychology (at least the components relevant to marketers).

SEMRush are offering free digital marketing courses via https://www.semrush.com/academy/, so you might want to look at them

Also look at HubSpot, who offer free courses on inbound marketing (i.e. directing traffic from other sources back to your website).

You should look at A-level Business Studies resources if you can, as the qualification also features a few units on marketing IIRC.

There is also https://learndigital.withgoogle.com/...ital-marketing

Quite a few other free online accredited digital marketing courses you can undertake, but just wanted to give you some idea of what is available.

Might also be worth looking into the CIM (Chartered Institute of Marketing).
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi Bananasplit101!

I'm a second year digital marketing student and when I started in first year, I had no prior marketing/media knowledge so don't worry! You are already at an advantage as you did media previously.

If you have any marketing related questions feel free to ask me!

Erin - Official Student Rep
Bananasplit101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi Bananasplit101!

I'm a second year digital marketing student and when I started in first year, I had no prior marketing/media knowledge so don't worry! You are already at an advantage as you did media previously.

If you have any marketing related questions feel free to ask me

Hey Erin,

That’s really reassuring to hear as its actually Portsmouth university I am going to.
Thank you so much
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey Erin,

That’s really reassuring to hear as its actually Portsmouth university I am going to.
Thank you so much
Hi Bananasplit101

That's great to hear! Best of luck and feel free to ask us any questions regarding Portsmouth

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads