GCSE english language

Watch this thread
Madz178
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
so my English teacher asked me to write a short piece of descriptive writing describing and I am LOST! literally don't know what to do. can someone help me like how should I approach and do this piece of writing and like HOW DO I DESCRIBE MYSELF! I would really appreciate it if someone could help me. thanks
LiSkinDicaprio
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
if you can't write from your own perspective write from someone else like "I know the ........". as in someone else is describing you
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I assume you got a picture prompt with the question. If you didn't I highly recommend you get something. From there on, pick out a few parts of the image you can focus on. Interesting things which make it stand out. Whether that is wrinkles on someones face, waves clashing with the shore, or bustling townsfolk in a market.
When you're writing, remember everything can be pinpointed to the five senses. Always try to add some sort of depth to the description by including sounds, smells, touch or taste.
What always works great is personifying things. You can morph inanimate objects into animals, sentient beings, celestial beings, anything.
Imagine you are there. Close your eyes and think of that you would be feeling. Try to add a story. You can create a story between the different aspects of the image, how they work together, is it in harmony or is it chaotic, do they fight or support each other. Does something stand out like a sore thumb or does something glue the whole piece together. Why are you there, what brought you to see this scene, bring out nostalgia, give some real life touches to things, pain, emotion, grief, these are things you can easily touch when writing.
You're not expected to be the next Shakespeare, Stephen King or Terry Pratchett! Do your best and good luck!
Madz178
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Broque_)
I assume you got a picture prompt with the question. If you didn't I highly recommend you get something. From there on, pick out a few parts of the image you can focus on. Interesting things which make it stand out. Whether that is wrinkles on someones face, waves clashing with the shore, or bustling townsfolk in a market.
When you're writing, remember everything can be pinpointed to the five senses. Always try to add some sort of depth to the description by including sounds, smells, touch or taste.
What always works great is personifying things. You can morph inanimate objects into animals, sentient beings, celestial beings, anything.
Imagine you are there. Close your eyes and think of that you would be feeling. Try to add a story. You can create a story between the different aspects of the image, how they work together, is it in harmony or is it chaotic, do they fight or support each other. Does something stand out like a sore thumb or does something glue the whole piece together. Why are you there, what brought you to see this scene, bring out nostalgia, give some real life touches to things, pain, emotion, grief, these are things you can easily touch when writing.
You're not expected to be the next Shakespeare, Stephen King or Terry Pratchett! Do your best and good luck!
thanks for the advice and help. I didn't get a picture prompt because all I need to do is write a descriptive piece about myself (like me!) like i don't know what to talk about. please help.
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Madz178)
thanks for the advice and help. I didn't get a picture prompt because all I need to do is write a descriptive piece about myself (like me!) like i don't know what to talk about. please help.
Imagine the different features of you which make you you. Like your distinct (or not so distinct) hair colour, your eye colour, traces of puberty, structure. Create a setting around yourself. Where are you, why are you there. It’s all the same when you go at the fundamentals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.8%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.28%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.52%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (23)
17.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.55%

Watched Threads