beccahill24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, so I’m going into year 12 and I can’t decide which alevels to take. I’m definitely doing English Lit and History (both AQA) but I can’t decide whether to do Psychology (AQA) or Maths (Edexcel). Does anyone who has taken similar subjects have any advice? Thank youu x
bleepbloop63
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
hi, i’m just finishing year 13 and one of my alevels was maths. personally i really enjoyed it and found the course interesting. i’m probably biased towards maths though because i did further maths and chemistry as well. if you have any questions feel free to dm me
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I do both history AQA and maths Edexcel. What do you like about both? Anything do you dislike?
aw03
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
do not pick maths if you don’t genuinely enjoy it or if it won’t contribute anything to your chosen degree. it’s ****ing hard.
Watermelon286
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did AQA psychology, currently in yr13. Overall I did enjoy it and I would choose it again. It was my best subject. There is a lot of information to learn but it’s not impossible. The research methods aspect I didn’t not expect to be learning about so I was kinda shocked when we had to learn about it, but in the end I didn’t mind. It’s probably my favourite subject, I also did English Lit btw. I would recommend Psychology. But the research methods bit was so boring, but it’s only a small part of the syllabus in the long run. And also my teacher was super boring so that didn’t help. If u have more questions about English Lit or Psychology just ask.
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Depends what you want to do after a levels
lixxy0714
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by beccahill24)
Hi, so I’m going into year 12 and I can’t decide which alevels to take. I’m definitely doing English Lit and History (both AQA) but I can’t decide whether to do Psychology (AQA) or Maths (Edexcel). Does anyone who has taken similar subjects have any advice? Thank youu x
hi! i think i can help, i actually take the exact same subjects. i do english literature, ancient history, psychology and economics. i took maths for the first two weeks but then switched to ancient history, the first question is how confident are you in your math skills? i got an 8 in the majority of my gsce's but just did not vibe well with maths

even tutors at my college advise that if you do not want to go to uni for maths, physics or engineering not to take maths as first of all it's such a difficult subject (one of my friends got 6 9's at gcse and is still struggling a tad, she's aiming for cambridge or oxford only with no safety's)

i highly highlyyy recommend psychology, it so much more enjoyable and interesting - so much so that it's currently my favourite subject

what is it you want to do after alevels?
beccahill24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
thank you for all of your responses! I’m pretty sure I want to go into law after alevels so I’m leaning towards Psychology, however I keep getting told that universities would prefer me to have maths. I’m good at maths, I’m aiming for a 9 at GCSE however I’m also aiming for 9’s in English so I don’t think the essays in Psychology would be too big of a jump. Once again, thanks for the responses!
lixxy0714
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by beccahill24)
thank you for all of your responses! I’m pretty sure I want to go into law after alevels so I’m leaning towards Psychology, however I keep getting told that universities would prefer me to have maths. I’m good at maths, I’m aiming for a 9 at GCSE however I’m also aiming for 9’s in English so I don’t think the essays in Psychology would be too big of a jump. Once again, thanks for the responses!
honestly, go with your instinct, psychology
universities will only prefer you to have maths for more math based degrees such as economics, medical sciences, engineering etc
for other degrees where maths is not essential to the actual courses in the degree, what'll matter more than the subject is the grade you got, what i mean is that if you got the sane grade in pscyh as maths, for a subject like law, it won't matter which subject you took but the grade you got

my sister is currently training to be a barista and doing a law degree, she took psych at alevel and maths at as level, she got a u in maths at as level, so she dropped it, nevertheless she's still gotten into a top uni with psychology, and not maths

to be honest, the essays in psychology aren't all that difficult as there is a structure to them, it's more about remembering all the content as it's so content heavy
Watermelon286
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lixxy0714)
honestly, go with your instinct, psychology
universities will only prefer you to have maths for more math based degrees such as economics, medical sciences, engineering etc
for other degrees where maths is not essential to the actual courses in the degree, what'll matter more than the subject is the grade you got, what i mean is that if you got the sane grade in pscyh as maths, for a subject like law, it won't matter which subject you took but the grade you got

my sister is currently training to be a barista and doing a law degree, she took psych at alevel and maths at as level, she got a u in maths at as level, so she dropped it, nevertheless she's still gotten into a top uni with psychology, and not maths

to be honest, the essays in psychology aren't all that difficult as there is a structure to them, it's more about remembering all the content as it's so content heavy
Yeah totally agree with you on the statement that psychology essays aren’t hard. They have a structure , so if I follow that you’re gunna get the marks. The difficult part is for sure learning the content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (87)
27.8%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.78%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.17%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.22%
No - I live at home during term anyway (94)
30.03%

Watched Threads