The Student Room Group

Can’t decide which uni to go to

Basically, I will be applying for unis next year. I want to be a financial advisor, and cannot decide between taking finance and accounting at UOB or finance at Aston. Which one should I take?
Original post by jun.1g
Basically, I will be applying for unis next year. I want to be a financial advisor, and cannot decide between taking finance and accounting at UOB or finance at Aston. Which one should I take?

You apply for up to 5 universities. You don’t list any preference at the point of applying.

If you get offers from your choices then in April 2021 you can pick your top (firm) choice.

There’s no need to be worrying about which to choose now - right now you can choose both.
Original post by jun.1g

Hopefully unis will be able to offer Open Days again before the point at which you need to make a definite decision - make sure you go to both Open Days so you can make a decision about which uni feels better to you.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
You apply for up to 5 universities. You don’t list any preference at the point of applying.

If you get offers from your choices then in April 2021 you can pick your top (firm) choice.

There’s no need to be worrying about which to choose now - right now you can choose both.

Thanks, but out of the two unis and courses which would be the better choice? Im certain about choosing one of the two.
Original post by jun.1g
Thanks, but out of the two unis and courses which would be the better choice? Im certain about choosing one of the two.

There is no "better choice". The better choice is the one you prefer and feel happiest at not what anyone else thinks.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
There is no "better choice". The better choice is the one you prefer and feel happiest at not what anyone else thinks.

But what I’m asking is if a finance&accounting course or a finance course with a sandwich year is more accepted for my desired career
Whilst its super important to go somewhere you feel happy, UOB is arguably more well regarded in terms of how companies look at it than Ashton. Finance is a competitive area and you need to set yourself up as best as possible. Rightly or wrongly 'university of XYZ' is generally more well regarded than what were once 'polys' the reason being companies think they have higher academic standards. Obviously there are exceptions and im not saying I agree with that assumption, and you need to work hard to get the grades where ever you go. But if you are looking to pursue a career in a competitive area like finance, you'll make life easier for yourself if you come out with a degree from a university considered more academically rigorous. UNLESS, the year out in industry allows you to get some great work experience...
Original post by jun.1g
But what I’m asking is if a finance&accounting course or a finance course with a sandwich year is more accepted for my desired career

Ok

So why are you asking on a forum mainly populated by 17/18 yr olds?

Ask your potential employers for their preference.
Original post by iwannabealawyer
Whilst its super important to go somewhere you feel happy, UOB is arguably more well regarded in terms of how companies look at it than Ashton. Finance is a competitive area and you need to set yourself up as best as possible. Rightly or wrongly 'university of XYZ' is generally more well regarded than what were once 'polys' the reason being companies think they have higher academic standards. Obviously there are exceptions and im not saying I agree with that assumption, and you need to work hard to get the grades where ever you go. But if you are looking to pursue a career in a competitive area like finance, you'll make life easier for yourself if you come out with a degree from a university considered more academically rigorous. UNLESS, the year out in industry allows you to get some great work experience...

Aston isn’t an ex poly :rofl:
It’s been a university for the same length of time as Warwick!
Original post by PQ
Aston isn’t an ex poly :rofl:
It’s been a university for the same length of time as Warwick!

Ok my mistake... although it used to be a technical college and I take your point about Warwick but it’s hardly built the same reputation as somewhere like Warwick has it...? Some unis that used to be polys have done really well to shed their stereotype but others haven’t been as successful. It’s like university of bristol vs university of the west of England, one is generally regarded as ‘better’ Than the other in terms of academic standards. Not saying it’s right etx but I think for something like finance you have to set yourself up as best as possible
Original post by iwannabealawyer
Ok my mistake... although it used to be a technical college and I take your point about Warwick but it’s hardly built the same reputation as somewhere like Warwick has it...? Some unis that used to be polys have done really well to shed their stereotype but others haven’t been as successful. It’s like university of bristol vs university of the west of England, one is generally regarded as ‘better’ Than the other in terms of academic standards. Not saying it’s right etx but I think for something like finance you have to set yourself up as best as possible

Aston was never a poly. It’s a plate glass university from the 60s.

UWE was a polytechnic that was made a university in 1994.

The two are not comparable. The polytechnic in Birmingham became BCU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending