The Student Room Group

Failed on evaluation essay?

For the first time ever, I failed on an essay and the feedback states it was an exceptional essay, very well-written but it misses out on one of the learning outcome.

Basically we had a group presentation to work on 40%, following a personal evaluation 20%. It was organised into groups of 3. The presentation was a technology game design to present to students and then talk about the feedback. One was delaying the process and the other always has "personal issues" and is "struggling". I got on with it, completing 90% of the work, because I raise a big familyand work full time, I, therefore, have to move at certain speed.

I generally enjoyed it and didn't mind, as long as I didn't get sucked into group messages reading repetitive personal issues, that usually seemes to happen towards a month before essays are due but otherwise, loud and "know it all" in classroom.

In between I tried to use humor to hype things up so we can sort this presentation but to no avail. I don't know what's wrong with me but I generally cannot deal with people who express themselves with emotions, I tend to shy away from it. When completing the work, I had the intention to be helpful and make it easy for them.

Eventually the one with issues had dropped out of presentation stating she couldn't cope with life and the other was ready to get started 3 weeks before submission date. My enthusiasm returned and pretty much guided her on what she could do (she asked) and how we could aim for higher grades. I took the role of designing the educational game, power point, video for the presentation, referenced, pros and cons to why this particular game, research and theorists. She presented the game, designed the PowerPoint background and collected feedback from students.

For the presentation we both got 68, which is awesome. However. in my personal evaluation task I talked about the challenges and the development. Yet, failed it because I didn't include a learning outcome. She got 52 and her feedback also that she missed out on LO. She got a pass! I'm not sure what the girl who dropped out got.

I feel unjustified, how can I go from amazing feedback to fail? I cannot argue against it based on what the other person got because that was personal information that she chose to tell me and to be honest, haven't seen it to compare. I asked my lecturer to elaborate on the feedback and she said I didn't include the challenges of the recourse development and focused entirely on the group development, challenges etc and that if I'd have been on a placement, I'd have been OK.

We all had a role, my role eventually was the background stuff and talked about that. I don't know what to do and feel so bumped about it. I asked if I could retake the essay and my lecturer said as it weighs 20% I cannot attempt the essay and the other 80% should make the whole module a pass overall. How would you move on from this? Have I been disadvantaged? Is this based on favouritsm?
Original post by Wray-Richardson
For the first time ever, I failed on an essay and the feedback states it was an exceptional essay, very well-written but it misses out on one of the learning outcome.

Basically we had a group presentation to work on 40%, following a personal evaluation 20%. It was organised into groups of 3. The presentation was a technology game design to present to students and then talk about the feedback. One was delaying the process and the other always has "personal issues" and is "struggling". I got on with it, completing 90% of the work, because I raise a big familyand work full time, I, therefore, have to move at certain speed.

I generally enjoyed it and didn't mind, as long as I didn't get sucked into group messages reading repetitive personal issues, that usually seemes to happen towards a month before essays are due but otherwise, loud and "know it all" in classroom.

In between I tried to use humor to hype things up so we can sort this presentation but to no avail. I don't know what's wrong with me but I generally cannot deal with people who express themselves with emotions, I tend to shy away from it. When completing the work, I had the intention to be helpful and make it easy for them.

Eventually the one with issues had dropped out of presentation stating she couldn't cope with life and the other was ready to get started 3 weeks before submission date. My enthusiasm returned and pretty much guided her on what she could do (she asked) and how we could aim for higher grades. I took the role of designing the educational game, power point, video for the presentation, referenced, pros and cons to why this particular game, research and theorists. She presented the game, designed the PowerPoint background and collected feedback from students.

For the presentation we both got 68, which is awesome. However. in my personal evaluation task I talked about the challenges and the development. Yet, failed it because I didn't include a learning outcome. She got 52 and her feedback also that she missed out on LO. She got a pass! I'm not sure what the girl who dropped out got.

I feel unjustified, how can I go from amazing feedback to fail? I cannot argue against it based on what the other person got because that was personal information that she chose to tell me and to be honest, haven't seen it to compare. I asked my lecturer to elaborate on the feedback and she said I didn't include the challenges of the recourse development and focused entirely on the group development, challenges etc and that if I'd have been on a placement, I'd have been OK.

We all had a role, my role eventually was the background stuff and talked about that. I don't know what to do and feel so bumped about it. I asked if I could retake the essay and my lecturer said as it weighs 20% I cannot attempt the essay and the other 80% should make the whole module a pass overall. How would you move on from this? Have I been disadvantaged? Is this based on favouritsm?

You can't appeal against academic judgement, and if you definitely didn't include that learning outcome, then it's not as though the lecturer is making up reasons for giving you fewer marks. If you are confused still, I suggest talking to one your course reps or someone at your student union.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You can't appeal against academic judgement, and if you definitely didn't include that learning outcome, then it's not as though the lecturer is making up reasons for giving you fewer marks. If you are confused still, I suggest talking to one your course reps or someone at your student union.

Thank you, I made peace with it. I know where I went wrong and my pride was bruised at the time. Lesson learnt :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending