Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi everyone, I am hopefully starting my A-levels this September (Depending on the whole COVID-19 situation) 😶and I have some questions regarding A-level textbooks for specific subjects:

1. Do teachers expect/Do we need textbooks on the first day back?

my subjects are:

OCR A chemistry
AQA Biology
AQA English Lang.

2. For Biology, I preferably want a textbook for both yr 1 and yr 2 combined and I was wondering if the 2nd edition Oxford book (the man is holding a test tube with a plant in it) combined both years of study?
3. Also in general which Biology TEXTBOOK is the best (the categories are amount of questions and quality of explanation) because my school sell the cgp textbook at a discount.

Thanks you, if you were able to get to the end of this😁
username4247768
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
your school normally recommends which ones to buy when you get back.

In my school, everyone was told to buy the same one, made by the exam board
Tkt12345
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My school gave us textbooks
chibichibi_xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I almost bought them before the year began, but then I found out my college gave them to us, so definitely wait until you get back before buying anything as TEXTBOOKS ARE EXPENSIVE.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amelia 123)
your school normally recommends which ones to buy when you get back.

In my school, everyone was told to buy the same one, made by the exam board

Ok. It's probably varied amongst schools, because I know in my school, our textbooks are a mish mash of stuff from 1980 to 2018!

what subjects did you do? if I may ask.
username4247768
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
Ok. It's probably varied amongst schools, because I know in my school, our textbooks are a mish mash of stuff from 1980 to 2018!

what subjects did you do? if I may ask.
chemistry biology mathematics and english literature
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They have textbooks in my school and some schools may even have access to Kerboodle (which has exam-questions and the online version of the textbook).

I wouldn’t recommend buying the textbook as they are crazy expensive and you are honestly better off buying the revision guide!
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by chibichibi_xx)
I almost bought them before the year began, but then I found out my college gave them to us, so definitely wait until you get back before buying anything as TEXTBOOKS ARE EXPENSIVE.
(Original post by Tkt12345)
My school gave us textbooks

That's odd. Maybe my school is just trying to make us skint, but we are expected to buy them
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I wouldn’t recommend buying the textbook as they are crazy expensive and you are honestly better off buying the revision guide!
What revision guide would you recommend?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What revision guide would you recommend?
I use CGP but I haven’t tried any other guide.
studentlemon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
At my sixth form it wasn't a requirement to have the textbooks but it was recommended. As someone else has mentioned, we had Kerboodle which let us access the textbooks online but I prefer looking at a physical book so I bought all my textbooks.

I studied AQA biology and we used the AQA biology 2nd Edition A Level textbook by Glenn Toole and Susan Toole (the cover has a guy with black curly hair holding a test tube). This was the one recommended by my teachers and our classes followed the topics in the textbook.

I also did OCR A chemistry and we used A Level Chemistry for OCR A by Rob Ritchie and Dave Gent (the cover has a mesh crisscross pattern on it) and likewise, this was the one recommended by my sixth form. A revision guide also goes alongside this textbook which summaries the topics quite well but I always just used the textbook because I wanted to learn all the topics in depth to ensure I understood everything.

Textbooks are expensive, I think both the bio & chem ones I used were around £40-£45 each when bought new. I bought both of mine off Ebay though so they ended up being around £20 each. I think the price is worth it if you know you'll benefit from having textbooks. Personally I found them so useful just because I find it harder to read off a screen but everyone has preferences so just do what works for you.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
Hi all! Depending on the COVID-19 situation, I will be starting my A-levels in September 😂 I'm doing AQA English Lang and I know at GCSE level, English Lang isn't textbook based. I have the following questions:

1. What textbook (if any) is recommended, because the only one I know is if the Oxford AQA approved textbook?

2. Do you need textbooks on the first day back based on experience, because since the whole pandemic, everything has gone topsy turvy.

Thanks, if you've read this far!😁
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Dont get books until youre in yr 12 and no you dont need any textbooks on the first day back
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
you dont need any textbooks on the first day back
Thanks! So there is a textbook based structure of teaching English Lang. at a-level. Intriguing. The complete opposite to my GCSE experience
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks! So there is a textbook based structure of teaching English Lang. at a-level. Intriguing. The complete opposite to my GCSE experience
You wont be expected to get textbooks so soon and if you want to get textbooks, wait till yr 12 and ask your teacher if that book will be good and ask what textbooks would be good. For me, I got books for physics and maths while I didnt get a book for history it was in the school library and my teachers class so I didnt really need to buy any books unless I wanted to
sam3439
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
You wont be expected to get textbooks so soon and if you want to get textbooks, wait till yr 12 and ask your teacher if that book will be good and ask what textbooks would be good. For me, I got books for physics and maths while I didnt get a book for history it was in the school library and my teachers class so I didnt really need to buy any books unless I wanted to
i love you panda!
chatsmilady
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
CHEAP GCSE AND ALEVEL EBOOKS FOR SALE!

I am selling cheap ebooks for people who can't afford a physical copy. I know lot of schools ask the students to buy their own books due to this COVID-19 pandemic. Thus, please take a lot of interest thank you.

If you want to purchase any message me! GCSE books are £4.99. They are £7.99 each for just AS or A2 but if buying two years (whole A level) they are £14.99. I cover most examboard but mostly AQA. If you want any other textbooks for other subjects or year (eg. GCSE) please request via message.

I have eg. biology, chemistry, physics, maths - CGP, oxford and hodder education versions for Alevel (AS+A2). Or inspector calls book + study guide.

PAYMENT VIA PAYPAL.

Also if anyone want a novel for reading during free times I have some available eg. fault in our stars, harry potter the cursed child, red queen, thirteen reasons why, lord of ring full...etc.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by chatsmilady)
CHEAP GCSE AND ALEVEL EBOOKS FOR SALE!

I am selling cheap ebooks for people who can't afford a physical copy. I know lot of schools ask the students to buy their own books due to this COVID-19 pandemic. Thus, please take a lot of interest thank you.

If you want to purchase any message me! GCSE books are £4.99. They are £7.99 each for just AS or A2 but if buying two years (whole A level) they are £14.99. I cover most examboard but mostly AQA. If you want any other textbooks for other subjects or year (eg. GCSE) please request via message.

I have eg. biology, chemistry, physics, maths - CGP, oxford and hodder education versions for Alevel (AS+A2). Or inspector calls book + study guide.

PAYMENT VIA PAYPAL.

Also if anyone want a novel for reading during free times I have some available eg. fault in our stars, harry potter the cursed child, red queen, thirteen reasons why, lord of ring full...etc.
I hope you know that this thread is 4 months old.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads