The Student Room Group

I've had a runny nose for three days

I've tried hayfever tablets and Chinese medicine. Even tried Vaseline but nothing works. I have a nasal spray but I used it for a week and nothing works. I don't know if it's a cold or hayfever. Should I try lemsip? It's been running through the whole day for three days.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by GeolPhysics
I've tried hayfever tablets and Chinese medicine. Even tried Vaseline but nothing works. I have a nasal spray but I used it for a week and nothing works. I don't know if it's a cold or hayfever. Should I try lemsip?

I have had the same problem as you except my nose has been stuffier than runny. I am going to assume that it is hayfever because it is the time of year. Don't think of the worst. Lemsip works more for colds so you might have a summer cold as it is called.
Do you feel like you've got a cold in other ways? A lemsip won't stop a runny nose. Are you taking your hay fever tablets daily?
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Do you feel like you've got a cold in other ways? A lemsip won't stop a runny nose. Are you taking your hay fever tablets daily?

I only have a runny nose and nothing else. I just started taking the tablets today.
Reply 4
It's probably just a runny nose.
I only have a runny nose and nothing else. I just started taking the tablets today.

If you just started the tablets they won't have taken full effect yet if it's hay fever. Best to take one a day (assuming they're loratadine?) at the same time.
I've lost my sense of taste and sense of smell now.
I've lost my sense of taste and sense of smell now.

If you think you might have coronavirus (which this is a symptom of),then see here about what to do. Do not go to your GP surgery, and if you live on your own then you can self-isolate for seven days. If you feel that your illness is getting worse, then use the NHS 111 Covid sevice, which you can find here
With antihistamines there are different ingredients for different brands. Maybe look at the active ingredient in the antihistamine that you tried and look for another brand with a different active ingredient? There are at least 2 or 3 different ones
Original post by Anonymous
With antihistamines there are different ingredients for different brands. Maybe look at the active ingredient in the antihistamine that you tried and look for another brand with a different active ingredient? There are at least 2 or 3 different ones

Good idea.
I found out it's actually a cold. It's a lot better today but still have a runny nose sometimes.
Original post by Reality Check
If you think you might have coronavirus (which this is a symptom of),then see here about what to do. Do not go to your GP surgery, and if you live on your own then you can self-isolate for seven days. If you feel that your illness is getting worse, then use the NHS 111 Covid sevice, which you can find here

yh you MAY have corona...unforntunately

Quick Reply

Latest