pharmacy at University

Watch this thread
sarahussein604
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am a GSCE student and I am currently thinking about A-level options.If I want to do pharmacy at university, would it be acceptable if I pick: Chemistry,Maths,Nutrition and health ?Or do I need another one of Biology or physics?
k1255
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I would say chemistry and biology
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sarahussein604)
I am a GSCE student and I am currently thinking about A-level options.If I want to do pharmacy at university, would it be acceptable if I pick: Chemistry,Maths,Nutrition and health ?Or do I need another one of Biology or physics?
Hey sarahussein604!

I am a second year pharmacy student and I studied biology, chemistry and psychology at A-level.
The entry requirements for most unis are chemistry and one of biology, maths or physics.
So yes you can take those A-levels if you wish to!

However I would say A-level biology has helped me a lot during the course, as we learn about cells and body systems etc. So having the A-level knowledge does give you a head start.
Although the content is covered again during the degree it will be a lot harder to understand/teach yourself without a biology A-level.

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Kim.023
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Biology definitely helps, Chemistry too. But you could do some wider reading if you don't want to learn it for 2 years
username5584114
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You need chemistry and biology although some unis might let u on without biology
hana1306
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You don't need biology to study Pharmacy, and physics was not relevant in the degree (except some bits about Gibbs free energy). Majority of unis will teach everyone the basics (Maths, Chemistry, Biology) in your first year. Doing 3 stem subjects (inc. maths) at A-levels be exhausting and is not a requirement, so you don't have to worry much. But if you're interested in doing 3, I don't see why not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
42.56%
The paper was reasonable (257)
41.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
8.58%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.28%

Watched Threads