The Student Room Group

EY Reserve List (FS Assurance 2020)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hiya, I've also been put on the reserve list for assurance and heard the same as you guys. Does anyone know if they usually have quite a lot of people on it or if they're putting quite a few on due to COVID. Seems like a lot of extra work for themselves to do with all positions already filled, there were a few ac's scheduled for after i'd done mine.
Reply 21
Original post by SkrillaWave
What location are you in?

Applied for the London role. AC is this week.
Original post by CC__
Hiya, I've also been put on the reserve list for assurance and heard the same as you guys. Does anyone know if they usually have quite a lot of people on it or if they're putting quite a few on due to COVID. Seems like a lot of extra work for themselves to do with all positions already filled, there were a few ac's scheduled for after i'd done mine.

I think its due to the COVID pandemic. It would make no sense for them to have this many people on the reserve list and to still have AC's planned for ahead. I've been speculating that this is maybe them trying to scope out how things are going to play and if so decide whether or not they will hire from the reserve list.
Reply 23
Just had my AC. 55 people were in the initial talk from the manager. After that, as already said, you have a scheduled meeting time with your assessor. The assessment consists of several parts including:
- One exercise where you have to come up with a solution to a problem.
- Numerical test (was bizarrely much easier than the one in the job simulation? and also quite short).
- One exercise where you in essence give motivations for wanting to do certain things over other things.

Overall the assessor was polite. I had quite a few technological problems, but managed to get there in the end. There was no opportunity to have any discussion or questions with the other graduates nor was there any group exercise.

I found MS teams, the technology to carry out the assessment, very clunky and annoying to use on my tablet. I'd strongly recommend using a Laptop/ Desktop instead.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 24
Just mentioned in another thread, got rejected within about an hour of the AC ending, so I must have done utter shite. Didn't feel that way but yeah. Ah well. Good luck to everyone else!
Reply 25
I think its due to the COVID pandemic. It would make no sense for them to have this many people on the reserve list and to still have AC's planned for ahead. I've been speculating that this is maybe them trying to scope out how things are going to play and if so decide whether or not they will hire from the reserve list.

Yh, might just be wishful thinking, but it seems like a huge waste of partner time for acs and final interviews, especially when they've had to revamp the process, if its just in case some people drop off or turn down offers, i mean who would say no in this climate tbh
Reply 26
@nealnaik @westrict @H.C62 @SkrillaWave @CC__

After being told that I'd be expected to complete pre-employment screening as a pre-emptive step a few weeks ago, I finally received the link from Sterling (third party) and completed/submitted it a few days ago. They asked for further 'add-on' information yesterday so they operate quite fast, it seems.

I wanted to ask if you guys (tagged, and anyone else reading who is on the reserve list) have also received and completed the pre-employment screening form from Sterling? I'm trying to gauge if virtually everyone from the reserve list has completed the forms or if it is only some of us.

Thanks
Original post by RadioBird
@nealnaik @westrict @H.C62 @SkrillaWave @CC__

After being told that I'd be expected to complete pre-employment screening as a pre-emptive step a few weeks ago, I finally received the link from Sterling (third party) and completed/submitted it a few days ago. They asked for further 'add-on' information yesterday so they operate quite fast, it seems.

I wanted to ask if you guys (tagged, and anyone else reading who is on the reserve list) have also received and completed the pre-employment screening form from Sterling? I'm trying to gauge if virtually everyone from the reserve list has completed the forms or if it is only some of us.

Thanks

I had to complete one as well. They sent me back an email requesting suitable documents for my GCSE results as the ones I possess right now are not the best. It seems strange that they are asking me for proof of my results from something 7 years ago and that they expect me to have these in possession.
Reply 28
I had to complete one as well. They sent me back an email requesting suitable documents for my GCSE results as the ones I possess right now are not the best. It seems strange that they are asking me for proof of my results from something 7 years ago and that they expect me to have these in possession.

Haha, it's quite a bit of hassle isn't it? I scoured my entire house looking for my GCSE certificates. Didn't think I'd ever really need them! Eventually found them neatly organised in a folder...it was a huge relief!

If you can't find them, then you'll need to request a substitute for the certificates from the relevant exam board (they won't give you replacement ones). Best bet is to phone them up as a matter of urgency, because online orders for substitutes have been halted because of the public health situation! :O
Reply 29
Just confirming that I am also in the same position as many of you. Passed my partner interview and on the reserve list, I have also completed the Sterling Pre-employment screening.

I can add that I asked my partner what being on the reserve list means (I was told I was on it before the interview). He said that he doesn't know exactly because it's the recruiting department that is in-charge of it. But he speculated, like a few others in this thread, that it may be a COVID precaution.

So I guess for the time being we just wait with fingers crossed.
Just another update, EY recruitment contacted me directly asking for documents for a DBS check. anyone else?
Reply 31
Original post by westrict
Just another update, EY recruitment contacted me directly asking for documents for a DBS check. anyone else?

Same here, submitted them a short while ago.
Thus far, it seems everyone on the reserve list is going through the same steps!
Same here, submitted them a short while ago.
Thus far, it seems everyone on the reserve list is going through the same steps!

Yeah, sent it yesterday.
Reply 33
Just some insights regarding FS audit/assurance hiring that likely affects EY as well:

I very recently had a virtual assessment centre with a final stage interview the day after. This was with a top 10 prof. services firm (I don't want to name them until after the interview outcome, cos I'm extra like that!). The correspondence and booking took place within a week from when they contacted me in late June. It was out of the blue because they had previously emailed me in April to tell me the intake was closed for 2020 (even though I was then in the process of booking an AC).

I asked the Director interviewing me what the outlook was for hiring, because my application had previously been halted but now suddenly reinstated. She explained that the firm had realised that they definitely needed grad hires. She stated that FS audit business was up 20% more than pre-coronavirus levels and it works well with remote working as opposed to general audit which may, for example, require visits to double check retail inventory numbers etc.

My interview was for an offer and not for any reserve list, and I was told by my assessment centre assessor that others were also going through the AC and interview process now, and that they are definitely in need of grads. So spaces clearly hadn't been filled - hiring was simply frozen, which the assessor AND Director heavily alluded to. It is, funnily enough, around this same time (past month or so) that EY has been emailing us all for pre-employment and DBS checks.

So what I gather is that the FS audit/assurance sector as a whole is ready to begin hiring again, and we are being screened by EY pre-emptively for that reason. I also have my suspicions that we aren't necessarily on a reserve list, but rather a 'freeze' list owing to EY's (then) uncertainty on whether to fill roles or not. It would be strange otherwise to book valuable partner time for what seems to be vast numbers of reserve list candidates, while also keeping FS Assurance applications open until somewhat recently (I think) and paying at cost for screening and criminality checks for those on the list. This is all obviously just speculation, but still interesting to think about...
(edited 3 years ago)
Just some insights regarding FS audit/assurance hiring that likely affects EY as well:

I very recently had a virtual assessment centre with a final stage interview the day after. This was with a top 10 prof. services firm (I don't want to name them until after the interview outcome, cos I'm extra like that!). The correspondence and booking took place within a week from when they contacted me in late June. It was out of the blue because they had previously emailed me in April to tell me the intake was closed for 2020 (even though I was then in the process of booking an AC).

I asked the Director interviewing me what the outlook was for hiring, because my application had previously been halted but now suddenly reinstated. She explained that the firm had realised that they definitely needed grad hires. She stated that FS audit business was up 20% more than pre-coronavirus levels and it works well with remote working as opposed to general audit which may, for example, require visits to double check retail inventory numbers etc.

My interview was for an offer and not for any reserve list, and I was told by my assessment centre assessor that others were also going through the AC and interview process now, and that they are definitely in need of grads. So spaces clearly hadn't been filled - hiring was simply frozen, which the assessor AND Director heavily alluded to. It is, funnily enough, around this same time (past month or so) that EY has been emailing us all for pre-employment and DBS checks.

So what I gather is that the FS audit/assurance sector as a whole is ready to begin hiring again, and we are being screened by EY pre-emptively for that reason. I also have my suspicions that we aren't necessarily on a reserve list, but rather a 'freeze' list owing to EY's (then) uncertainty on whether to fill roles or not. It would be strange otherwise to book valuable partner time for what seems to be vast numbers of reserve list candidates, while also keeping FS Assurance applications open until somewhat recently (I think) and paying at cost for screening and criminality checks for those on the list. This is all obviously just speculation, but still interesting to think about...

Thanks for that information. I had a feeling that as you said its a "freeze" rather than all the applications are full. It would seem pointless to waste this much time and effort for such a role seeing as it is still recently going on in regards to interviews. I can only hope that it is this.

I spoke with the recruitment team whilst doing my background check and asked them what it meant to be on the reserve list. They themselves seemed quite unsure aswell as to the nature of the list. They were also quite focused on being able to do to background and dbs checks asap. So fingers crossed.
Thanks for that information. I had a feeling that as you said its a "freeze" rather than all the applications are full. It would seem pointless to waste this much time and effort for such a role seeing as it is still recently going on in regards to interviews. I can only hope that it is this.

I spoke with the recruitment team whilst doing my background check and asked them what it meant to be on the reserve list. They themselves seemed quite unsure aswell as to the nature of the list. They were also quite focused on being able to do to background and dbs checks asap. So fingers crossed.

Just thought I might add. Given that I (we) got placed on the reserve list prior to our partner interview, it definitely does seem odd. Plus I've been trying to find out as much as I can on what being on the list means and to be honest there isn't much. Alot of the applications I've seen for assurance have been in July so it does add to the case that it isn't actually a reserve list.
Just thought I might add. Given that I (we) got placed on the reserve list prior to our partner interview, it definitely does seem odd. Plus I've been trying to find out as much as I can on what being on the list means and to be honest there isn't much. Alot of the applications I've seen for assurance have been in July so it does add to the case that it isn't actually a reserve list.

Lets hope we all hear something this week! good luck!
What sub-service line is everyone in btw (If you have one)?
I applied assurance for the Glasgow office and I am also in the same position as many of you. Passed my partner interview and on the reserve list, I have also completed the Sterling Pre-employment screening. Dunno what the next step will be. The only thing is waiting:frown:.
Reply 39
@SkrillaWave
My sub-service line is Financial Services Assurance. And as for the sector, I would like to work with banking and capital markets clients if given the choice...good networking potential and makes for solid eventual exit opportunities!

And yeah, agreed - there's barely any info on the reserve list! This thread was created because there was almost no information available at all on reserve lists across the web, inc. WikiJobs and the Career Inspiration websites.

@westrict
Yeah, hopefully we'll be updated more often now that we're being screened! DBS checks take 3/4 weeks from what I remember, so I think we'll hear back after it has been processed/verified :biggrin:

@Nina11111_
Congrats on passing :smile: Glasgow as well eh? I'm getting more and more convinced that it really was just a hiring freeze, especially if it's national based on your experience. And now they're screening us all with the intention of handing out offers. Speculation ofc. Ultimately, we just have to wait and be hopeful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending