The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Modern Foreign Languages at Warwick?

Hello! Just wondering if there's anyone here that studies languages at Warwick? Just wanted to have opinions on the course structure and reputation and how the department compares to other Russell group and high ranking unis :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I study Spanish at Warwick (and politics) and I'm currently a 2nd year. I really like the course and the structure. For post-a level spanish for years 1 and 2 you have 4 hours of language classes a week: a 2 hour language in use e.g. reading/listening/grammar class, a 1 hour oral class and a 1 hour translation class. You can then do cultural modules which vary by language and are either 1 term or full year in length. How many culture modules you take depends on how many languages you want to study as each language module is 30 CATS and you do 120 CATS per year so if you do 3 languages that would be 90 of your CATs, you only do either one full year (30 CAT) culture module or two one term (15 CAT) culture modules.

The department and Warwick as a uni is very well respected so no worries about career etc. - e.g. I'm now a future trainee at a Magic Circle law firm.

I actually also started out doing an MFL degree at Durham (Spanish, French and ab inito Arabic) but I left as I didn't like it there/how they taught.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions I can help with! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Thank you so much! Also congratulations on securing a training contract with a magic circle law firm- that's amazing! May I ask what it was about the course at Durham that put you off? Also, what are the assessments like at Warwick? Are you required to write essays in the target language and English?

Sorry for all the questions!
Original post by aconstanthamlet
Thank you so much! Also congratulations on securing a training contract with a magic circle law firm- that's amazing! May I ask what it was about the course at Durham that put you off? Also, what are the assessments like at Warwick? Are you required to write essays in the target language and English?

I don’t do languages but from what I heard the department is well respected and thanks to its international outlook, it’s known across Europe, making study abroads easier for their students I hear the assessments are essay based (not sure what you have to do either)

I can answer questions about the uni in general :smile:

So I was at Durham for about 8 weeks before I left. I just wasn't a fan of how it was being taught (NB this was in 2016, it might not still be the same now) in that we only had speaking class and then translation every other week on a rotational basis, class sizes were big and seminars for culture modules were only once a fortnight. Also, I was really struggling with Arabic and I wanted to drop it but I was told I couldn't.

I think each language is slightly different in terms of how they assess (what languages do you want to do and at what level? Then I can go into our intranet and get exact details for you :smile:), but you can find details on each module's webpage starting from this link https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/modernlanguages/applying/undergraduate/.

For culture modules, essays are written in English but for some modules, there might be some sources etc. in the target language. As all languages (except French I think) are offered at both beginner and post-a level, culture module teaching is in English to accommodate all :smile: Culture module assessment might be all essay based or a mix of exam and essay - it varies from module to module and most 2nd year culture modules let you decide whether you would rather be assessed by 100% essay or 50% exam and 50% essay

As an example my 1st year Spanish language module (post a level) was assessed by:
- 2 10% in-class exams (one at the end of term 1, one at the end of term 2). One was listening based and the other grammar-based
- oral exam worth 20% where we prepared a presentation in advance and then afterwards got asked questions on it, then discussed the book we had been studying all year
- E-portfolio worth 15% which you submit after the Easter hols which is written in Spanish and is about your language learning process over the year
- 45% final written exam inc. reading, translation both ways and a writing task

I agree the department is well respected, there's loads of year abroad destinations for all languages and they're so, so supportive! I'm deaf which means studying foreign languages is hard and I need a lot of adjustments but they've been amazing with me!

Don't apologise for the questions - happy to help feel free to ask more either about the department or the uni in general! :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by coffeeneeded27
So I was at Durham for about 8 weeks before I left. I just wasn't a fan of how it was being taught (NB this was in 2016, it might not still be the same now) in that we only had speaking class and then translation every other week on a rotational basis, class sizes were big and seminars for culture modules were only once a fortnight. Also, I was really struggling with Arabic and I wanted to drop it but I was told I couldn't.

I think each language is slightly different in terms of how they assess (what languages do you want to do and at what level? Then I can go into our intranet and get exact details for you :smile:), but you can find details on each module's webpage starting from this link https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/modernlanguages/applying/undergraduate/.

For culture modules, essays are written in English but for some modules, there might be some sources etc. in the target language. As all languages (except French I think) are offered at both beginner and post-a level, culture module teaching is in English to accommodate all :smile:

As an example my 1st year Spanish language module (post a level) was assessed by:
- 2 10% in-class exams (one at the end of term 1, one at the end of term 2). One was listening based and the other grammar-based
- oral exam worth 20% where we prepared a presentation in advance and then afterwards got asked questions on it, then discussed the book we had been studying all year
- E-portfolio worth 15% which you submit after the Easter hols which is written in Spanish and is about your language learning process over the year

I agree the department is well respected, there's loads of year abroad destinations for all languages and they're so, so supportive! I'm deaf which means studying foreign languages is hard and I need a lot of adjustments but they've been amazing with me!

Don't apologise for the questions - happy to help feel free to ask more either about the department or the uni in general! :biggrin:

Did you do a GDL after graduating? Also did the brand of uni help you get into a magic circle firm

For culture modules, essays are written in English but for some modules, there might be some sources etc. in the target language. As all languages (except French I think) are offered at both beginner and post-a level, culture module teaching is in English to accommodate all :smile: Culture module assessment might be all essay based or a mix of exam and essay - it varies from module to module and most 2nd year culture modules let you decide whether you would rather be assessed by 100% essay or 50% exam and 50% essay

By the way, could I ask?
What accommodation were you in the first year?
I’m already at Warwick but I’m applying to be on campus again and wanted to know which ones except Sherborne (was there in my first year) are good?
Original post by TheStarboy
By the way, could I ask?
What accommodation were you in the first year?
I’m already at Warwick but I’m applying to be on campus again and wanted to know which ones except Sherborne (was there in my first year) are good?

Ahhh I was in Sherbourne as well I’m afraid!
Ahhh I was in Sherbourne as well I’m afraid!

That’s a coincidence 😂. Nice to see another Warwick student here though. I hoped you enjoyed your second year (before the pandemic of course)
Did you do the GDL after to end up in a good firm
Also did the uni reputation help with entering that firm
Original post by Anonymous
Did you do the GDL after to end up in a good firm

Is this aimed at me? If so, I’m still a uni student doing my non-law undergrad but after I graduate in 2021 I will be going my GDL and LPC then starting my TC At the firm in 2023 :smile:
Also did the uni reputation help with entering that firm

Really don’t want to take over a thread asking about the language department at Warwick by hijacking it with law. Feel free to make a new thread/ message me if you have questions.

The reputation helps in that firms come to campus so you can meet them but your grades, extra curriculars/part time jobs, commercial awareness, how well you interview and your experience are far more important than your uni’s reputation. My law firm interviews CV blind.
Is this aimed at me? If so, I’m still a uni student doing my non-law undergrad but after I graduate in 2021 I will be going my GDL and LPC then starting my TC At the firm in 2023 :smile:

Wait I thought you work at the magic firm already ??
Wait I thought you work at the magic firm already ??

No. If you read literally the first sentence of the first post I made in this thread I say “I study Spanish at Warwick (and politics) and I'm currently a 2nd year.”

Please stop hijacking this poor person’s thread with something completely off topic.
No. If you read literally the first sentence of the first post I made in this thread I say “I study Spanish at Warwick (and politics) and I'm currently a 2nd year.”

Please stop hijacking this poor person’s thread with something completely off topic.

Lmao says the one that said “I’m now a future trainee at a magic law firm” calm down & stop being melodramatic. I just got the impression that you got an offer early or something and would later be joining the firm. People like you need to calm down 😂😂. Literally tryna start an argument out of nowhere. And yes Ik this is a thread to do with a language but I’m pretty sure she or he or they don’t mind me asking you a question off topic. 🤚🏽
Lmao says the one that said “I’m now a future trainee at a magic law firm” calm down & stop being melodramatic. I just got the impression that you got an offer early or something and would later be joining the firm. People like you need to calm down 😂😂. Literally tryna start an argument out of nowhere. And yes Ik this is a thread to do with a language but I’m pretty sure she or he or they don’t mind me asking you a question off topic. 🤚🏽

Of*

That sounds great! At the moment I'm thinking about French post A-Level with either German or Spanish ab initio. I'm currently an offer holder at Warwick but over lockdown I've been thinking that a language degree would be more suited to me as I've realised it's my passion and the degree would be a great way to integrate my love for cultures, history and literature. I'm currently debating whether to reapply or contact the university to inquire about changing courses. Slightly stressed as to what I should do but advice like this is extremely helpful, so thank you! :smile:

Also, how intense is the Spanish element of your degree? I hear a lot of people stating that language degrees are less challenging in terms of workload and expectations at many universities in comparison to other courses, would you say this is true for Warwick?
That sounds great! At the moment I'm thinking about French post A-Level with either German or Spanish ab initio. I'm currently an offer holder at Warwick but over lockdown I've been thinking that a language degree would be more suited to me as I've realised it's my passion and the degree would be a great way to integrate my love for cultures, history and literature. I'm currently debating whether to reapply or contact the university to inquire about changing courses. Slightly stressed as to what I should do but advice like this is extremely helpful, so thank you! :smile:

Also, how intense is the Spanish element of your degree? I hear a lot of people stating that language degrees are less challenging in terms of workload and expectations at many universities in comparison to other courses, would you say this is true for Warwick?

What degree do you currently hold an offer for? (Sorry if I'm being blind and missed you saying ahaha essays frying my brain lolll)

I'm totally bias but do Spanish! I did French as well and I'd say it will be really helpful for learning Spanish as the 2 really complement each other! Depending on what your current offer is for I would deffo approach them about seeing if you can change (they might as for a new personal statement though...)

I have a lot more contact hours for the Spanish language side of my degree than I do for the politics (e.g. 4 hours a week language class but my politics modules are just one 1 hour lecture, then a 1-hour seminar). I've heard that ab initio classes are very intense and move very fast (I think they have 5 hours a week and they expect you to be a level standard by the end of the first year) so there is deffo a lot of work to do outside of the contact hours.

If anything I would say the Spanish side of my degree has higher expectations than the politics. For politics, I just have to do my weekly readings but for Spanish I have to do grammar work, translation work and writing pieces weekly. However, I really enjoy it and you see yourself coming on SO quickly so it's really worth it! Obviously there are some degrees at the uni that are more intense e.g. maths and STEM subjects but that's a whole different kettle of fish...

Here's the links to the French, Spanish and German info pages for the 1st year language modules:

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/modernlanguages/applying/undergraduate/frenchmodules/fr101ps/
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/modernlanguages/applying/undergraduate/hispanicmodules/hp102ps/
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/modernlanguages/applying/undergraduate/germanmodules/ge103ps/

As I said feel free to keep asking questions as I know how daunting thinking you want to change courses is and how many questions I had when changing from straight modern languages to politics and Spanish so am more than happy to help as much as poss :smile:
What degree do you currently hold an offer for? (Sorry if I'm being blind and missed you saying ahaha essays frying my brain lolll)

I'm totally bias but do Spanish! I did French as well and I'd say it will be really helpful for learning Spanish as the 2 really complement each other! Depending on what your current offer is for I would deffo approach them about seeing if you can change (they might as for a new personal statement though...)

I have a lot more contact hours for the Spanish language side of my degree than I do for the politics (e.g. 4 hours a week language class but my politics modules are just one 1 hour lecture, then a 1-hour seminar). I've heard that ab initio classes are very intense and move very fast (I think they have 5 hours a week and they expect you to be a level standard by the end of the first year) so there is deffo a lot of work to do outside of the contact hours.

If anything I would say the Spanish side of my degree has higher expectations than the politics. For politics, I just have to do my weekly readings but for Spanish I have to do grammar work, translation work and writing pieces weekly. However, I really enjoy it and you see yourself coming on SO quickly so it's really worth it! Obviously there are some degrees at the uni that are more intense e.g. maths and STEM subjects but that's a whole different kettle of fish...

Here's the links to the French, Spanish and German info pages for the 1st year language modules:

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/modernlanguages/applying/undergraduate/frenchmodules/fr101ps/
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/modernlanguages/applying/undergraduate/hispanicmodules/hp102ps/
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/modernlanguages/applying/undergraduate/germanmodules/ge103ps/

As I said feel free to keep asking questions as I know how daunting thinking you want to change courses is and how many questions I had when changing from straight modern languages to politics and Spanish so am more than happy to help as much as poss :smile:

Thank you for the links! Currently holding a law offer. I've been torn between the two degrees for a few months now. I'm doing as much research as I can though to make sure whatever decision I make is the right one for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending