The Student Room Group

core maths or EPQ

i dont know whether to do core maths (half an a level) or an EPQ
any suggestions/advice?
If you’re planning to do something Maths related at uni, I’d say go for Core Maths, but if it’s anything else, defo do an EPQ - it’s also way more interesting!
What do you want to do in the future?
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
What do you want to do in the future?

law!
Reply 4
Original post by oh.no.mal
If you’re planning to do something Maths related at uni, I’d say go for Core Maths, but if it’s anything else, defo do an EPQ - it’s also way more interesting!

thanks!
Original post by agrimakaph
law!

Defo epq. I always recommend it for any social sciences. I also want to apply for law and epq so far has given me the chance to explore an area of law I was interested in so it lets you learn more and its great showing skills for uni but gives you something to put into your personal statement or talk about in interviews. Tbh I don’t recommend core maths unless you want to gain more maths skills without taking a level maths or you need extra ucas point, which for law the good unis don’t rely on ucas points but your main 3 a levels so you want to focus on that + anything that you want to put in your personal statement.
Original post by oh.no.mal

Nope nope nope!!! Core maths is useless for anything directly maths related. Think of it as L3 version of functional skills maths- easy UCAS points.
But yeah, go with an EPQ.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by agrimakaph
i dont know whether to do core maths (half an a level) or an EPQ
any suggestions/advice?

it depends what you want to do after...
If you want to do anything analytical then do core maths. (IMO learning things like calculus isjust interesting, and worth doing, irrespective of if you need it, but im a maths nerd so...).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending