The Student Room Group

A level revision for year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ATHAN123
Mate I have no idea... I cant answer that. R u doing anything like that now for a levels

? I'm asking you what you've done so far, what resources you've used etc.

I'm waiting for transition work which should arrive in a few days or so. (Not looking forward to it haha)
Reply 21
Original post by TakeALittleWalk
? I'm asking you what you've done so far, what resources you've used etc.

I'm waiting for transition work which should arrive in a few days or so. (Not looking forward to it haha)

Oh right

As for everything ive done:

Biology
Topic 1- biological molecules
Topic 2- the cell, structure and functions
Topic 3- ecology and biodiversity
Topic 4- Circulation and ventilation in organisms

Topics 1-4 cover AS or Year 12.

Chemistry (many modules in topic 2, 3 and 4)
Topic 1- experiments and designing
Topic 2- Electrons, the atom and more
Topic 3- Physical chem
Topic 4- Organic chemistry by far the hardest but ive got my head around it phew

Used CGP
Oh right

As for everything ive done:

Biology
Topic 1- biological molecules
Topic 2- the cell, structure and functions
Topic 3- ecology and biodiversity
Topic 4- Circulation and ventilation in organisms

Topics 1-4 cover AS or Year 12.

Chemistry (many modules in topic 2, 3 and 4)
Topic 1- experiments and designing
Topic 2- Electrons, the atom and more
Topic 3- Physical chem
Topic 4- Organic chemistry by far the hardest but ive got my head around it phew

Used CGP

Revision guide or cgp textbook?
Reply 23
Original post by TakeALittleWalk
Revision guide or cgp textbook?

Both
Both

Proppps to you then my guy you’re definitely set! Just ensure you make the most out of the break.
Are people revising in year 11 now for a levels? Ive done bio and chem as/year 12 content but is that too much? Should I be revising what r others doing

My school set us A level transition work - although in most subjects it is the equivalent of read through the textbook and make notes, and make sure you remember your GCSE stuff so you don't fall out of practice.

If you've only looked at bio/chem I'd recommend checking out your third a level as well. Also, if you're taking a fourth or AS, then starting that would be a good idea, or looking at possible EPQ topics to get a head start on that.
Sparing

- 3 pages for chem
5 pages for bio

Yes- thats for biology topics 1-4

Chem topics 1-4

Wdym by 'pages' ?
How are 3 pages 4 biology topics?
Sorry if this question sounds stupid lol
Reply 27
Original post by limitlesspuffy
Wdym by 'pages' ?
How are 3 pages 4 biology topics?
Sorry if this question sounds stupid lol

Pages in a particular topic
Reply 28
Are people revising in year 11 now for a levels? Ive done bio and chem as/year 12 content but is that too much? Should I be revising what r others doing

I'm a year 13 student and have studied bio and chem, i think you've done quite a lot and should probably leave it at that stage. I think challenging yourself in ways other than a level content will be more useful for now. Maybe start recapping your AS around August time to be prepared for school. Hope this helps.

I havent really started much yet-although i will do the transition work the school set. Wow i cant believe you have already learnt so much- I wouldnt worry to much about revising it as most yr 12s dont start with that knowledge normally !!
Original post by Lucy98654
I havent really started much yet-although i will do the transition work the school set. Wow i cant believe you have already learnt so much- I wouldnt worry to much about revising it as most yr 12s dont start with that knowledge normally !!

oh good on u guys you're prob gonna do really well, im also y11/12 but I've jus been chilling since school ended n wasnt planning on doing much oops
Original post by diamondzz
oh good on u guys you're prob gonna do really well, im also y11/12 but I've jus been chilling since school ended n wasnt planning on doing much oops

I don’t intend to stop chilling anytime soon tbh

I've done all of AS maths, idk if you are taking maths and I've started topics in bio and chem. We could be study buddies if you want?
Original post by diamondzz

HAHA i havent even started yet just enjoying the lovely weather everyday although the transition work set is compulsory its not a lot thankfully and I havent started it yet lol
Yeah I’ve started studying alevel maths on top of doing bridging tasks the college set us, I think it’s important to get ahead and get familiar with the content especially if you’re doing retakes in November - you don’t want to be struggling with the alevel work while stressing about GCSEs. But I don’t put too much pressure on myself, I only do about an hour a day and if I really don’t understand something then I write it down and wait until I get taught it in college - this way I can identify my weak spots so I have questions to ask when we cover it in lessons
Original post by sophieiw03
Yeah I’ve started studying alevel maths on top of doing bridging tasks the college set us, I think it’s important to get ahead and get familiar with the content especially if you’re doing retakes in November - you don’t want to be struggling with the alevel work while stressing about GCSEs. But I don’t put too much pressure on myself, I only do about an hour a day and if I really don’t understand something then I write it down and wait until I get taught it in college - this way I can identify my weak spots so I have questions to ask when we cover it in lessons

How much have you done in A level Maths?
I’m working my way through all the topics for year 12, I’m about half way through now and I’ll probably finish year 12 by the time I get my gcse results! Being prepared always helps!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sophieiw03
I’m working my way through all the topics for year 12, I’m about half way through now and I’ll probably finish year 12 by the time I get my gcse results! Being prepared always helps!

Please remember although it's good that you are getting ahead, it can be good if is a teacher is the first person to teach you something. For example in Maths there may be certain steps that are unnecessary in working out the question but are needed to get the marks - you may miss these out while teaching yourself and because you 'know it already' you wont be paying full attention when the teacher says this important point in class (you may say you will listen now but trust me when you start alevels you wont pay attention when you dont have to). Just bare that in mind :smile:
Reply 38
You all say youve done a level maths; how much do you understand though of it...? Me; not much.

Wtf I’m not revising 🤣🤣the schools are bunch of jokers if they think I even care loool

Quick Reply

Latest