Questions about private sixth form entrance exams (16 plus)

Watch
ILikeChina87181
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am currently in yr9 (going on yr10 now) but I want to know everything I need to do to properly prepare for the entrance exam as I haven’t seen that many resources to help. I know for certain I will take maths and physics A-level. I will perhaps also take a Mandarin or economics if I enjoy it.

Here are my questions:
1. Are the tests just on the gcse syllabus or will there be extra things they’ll ask?

2. What were the entrance exams like for you? (Specifically the ones I said I was going to take)

3. Was there an interview? What was it like?

4. Is there an test if you want to do economics? How do they test that? Will I need to learn gcse economics to do the test?

5.what are the language tests like?

I don’t expect one person to answer all of these but if you do know the answer to any of them then I’ll be very great full.
Thanks for reading
Enyala
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ILikeChina87181)
I am currently in yr9 (going on yr10 now) but I want to know everything I need to do to properly prepare for the entrance exam as I haven’t seen that many resources to help. I know for certain I will take maths and physics A-level. I will perhaps also take a Mandarin or economics if I enjoy it.

Here are my questions:
1. Are the tests just on the gcse syllabus or will there be extra things they’ll ask?

2. What were the entrance exams like for you? (Specifically the ones I said I was going to take)

4. Is there an test if you want to do economics? How do they test that? Will I need to learn gcse economics to do the test?

I don’t expect one person to answer all of these but if you do know the answer to any of them then I’ll be very great full.
Thanks for reading
Hi there! I changed to a private sixth form (Cardiff Sixth Form College) after attending a state school for the rest of my education.
The entrance exams content will probably depend on where it is that you are thinking of applying to but I can answer to the best of my ability based on my experience. I did an entrance exam in Maths and Chemistry (although I know lots of people who did a physics one), and I'm pretty sure that there was nothing on there that was not GCSE content. I went to the college for an interview, to take the two entrance exams and for an online reasoning test which was all done over one day.
When I took the entrance exams I hadn't actually finished the GCSE syllabus yet for chemistry so there were couple of questions that I didn't know at all, and also because I did all my exams under the WJEC and they used the AQA syllabus to create the questions - possibly look into different exam board's syllabuses if you want to be extra prepared. Other than that though, the exams were fine and I got away with only doing about a week's worth of 'revision'.
As I mentioned, there was an interview, but it was pretty informal. They were very friendly and didn't ask any actual academic questions, mostly trying to ascertain your other hobbies and just how good you are at conversing in general. This will probably vary from college to college, although CSFC does have a reputation of being fairly difficult to get into so I'm sure it will be the same if not better in most other places.
There is a test for economics, but I truly cannot tell you what its like because I have never studied it. I would imagine that if there is though, you will need to make the college aware that you haven't done GCSE econs and just do your best - it could never hurt to learn a bit of GCSE economics just in case!

That's about all of the questions that you had that I feel like I can give a good answer to - sorry it wasn't all of them and I hope that this was helpful to you in some way
ILikeChina87181
Rep:
?
(Original post by Enyala)
Hi there! I changed to a private sixth form (Cardiff Sixth Form College) after attending a state school for the rest of my education.
The entrance exams content will probably depend on where it is that you are thinking of applying to but I can answer to the best of my ability based on my experience. I did an entrance exam in Maths and Chemistry (although I know lots of people who did a physics one), and I'm pretty sure that there was nothing on there that was not GCSE content. I went to the college for an interview, to take the two entrance exams and for an online reasoning test which was all done over one day.
When I took the entrance exams I hadn't actually finished the GCSE syllabus yet for chemistry so there were couple of questions that I didn't know at all, and also because I did all my exams under the WJEC and they used the AQA syllabus to create the questions - possibly look into different exam board's syllabuses if you want to be extra prepared. Other than that though, the exams were fine and I got away with only doing about a week's worth of 'revision'.
As I mentioned, there was an interview, but it was pretty informal. They were very friendly and didn't ask any actual academic questions, mostly trying to ascertain your other hobbies and just how good you are at conversing in general. This will probably vary from college to college, although CSFC does have a reputation of being fairly difficult to get into so I'm sure it will be the same if not better in most other places.
There is a test for economics, but I truly cannot tell you what its like because I have never studied it. I would imagine that if there is though, you will need to make the college aware that you haven't done GCSE econs and just do your best - it could never hurt to learn a bit of GCSE economics just in case!

That's about all of the questions that you had that I feel like I can give a good answer to - sorry it wasn't all of them and I hope that this was helpful to you in some way
Thanks for your reply it was really helpful! To specify I am considering mainly going to North London Collegiate but also any other private school sixth form so talking about the exam in general is helpful.
AliceB12345
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks for your reply it was really helpful! To specify I am considering mainly going to North London Collegiate but also any other private school sixth form so talking about the exam in general is helpful.
Hi. I sat the NLCS sixth form exam and am currently there now. The maths exams are challenging and require problem solving, you have to be fairly quick when answering them. Economics, they understand that most people don't do it for GCSE, so it will be generic Econ questions you can find online. Mandarin, I am not too sure. Physics, will be GCSE, but maybe some more challenging questions at the end.

You will have an interview for each subject and a general interview as well. They will ask you questions and you answer as well as you can, most will be GCSE knowledge, but some may be advanced. However, they will help guide you through the more complicated answer.
In the interview, speak through your thought process and always listen to the interviewer, as they ultimately want to see if they will be able to teach you in sixth form. General interview is fine, just the typical questions... why this subject? why you are moving school? clubs?

Use other school 16+ papers. I think Westminster, MTS and Habs posted some a few years back. Use any resources that are available, even GCSE questions when you are in year 10/11.

Don't stress too much about these exams, and make sure you see the school before you apply and have a tour, as I have toured people who have come and realised that they would rather go somewhere else.

Hope this helps.
ILikeChina87181
Rep:
?
(Original post by AliceB12345)
Hi. I sat the NLCS sixth form exam and am currently there now. The maths exams are challenging and require problem solving, you have to be fairly quick when answering them. Economics, they understand that most people don't do it for GCSE, so it will be generic Econ questions you can find online. Mandarin, I am not too sure. Physics, will be GCSE, but maybe some more challenging questions at the end.

You will have an interview for each subject and a general interview as well. They will ask you questions and you answer as well as you can, most will be GCSE knowledge, but some may be advanced. However, they will help guide you through the more complicated answer.
In the interview, speak through your thought process and always listen to the interviewer, as they ultimately want to see if they will be able to teach you in sixth form. General interview is fine, just the typical questions... why this subject? why you are moving school? clubs?

Use other school 16+ papers. I think Westminster, MTS and Habs posted some a few years back. Use any resources that are available, even GCSE questions when you are in year 10/11.

Don't stress too much about these exams, and make sure you see the school before you apply and have a tour, as I have toured people who have come and realised that they would rather go somewhere else.

Hope this helps.
Wow, thanks for the response!
I do tend to over stress about these types of things so thanks for explaining it clearly.
username5250818
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

Here are my questions:

Thanks for reading
Heyy I took the exams for NLCS last year and am going to be going there in September

Maths was increasing in difficulty to the end of the test but with relatively attainable questions asked at the start. To be honest i missed loads of questions in the second part. It's very logicyyy by the end but quite GCSE based too.
Physics had core elements of all the GCSE curriculum, i think useful prep would be GCSE physics olympiad questions, that was what i used to prepare. same for maths doing UKMT papers might help w ur logic skills
The interviews were really nice. maths was doing questions in front of the interviewer. just make sure to talk through what you're thinking - i blanked and forgot quite easy things but the interviewer gave me clues and hints which i responded to. i think they like to see you respond to what they say and not to be afraid to explain your thought process even if you don't get the answer. Physics was similar to that. General was really nice can't lie the teachers are all very sweet.

I'm afraid I can't help with the rest because i didnt take econ or any language tests but i hope this has helped x
ILikeChina87181
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by buoynancy)
Heyy I took the exams for NLCS last year and am going to be going there in September

Maths was increasing in difficulty to the end of the test but with relatively attainable questions asked at the start. To be honest i missed loads of questions in the second part. It's very logicyyy by the end but quite GCSE based too.
Physics had core elements of all the GCSE curriculum, i think useful prep would be GCSE physics olympiad questions, that was what i used to prepare. same for maths doing UKMT papers might help w ur logic skills
The interviews were really nice. maths was doing questions in front of the interviewer. just make sure to talk through what you're thinking - i blanked and forgot quite easy things but the interviewer gave me clues and hints which i responded to. i think they like to see you respond to what they say and not to be afraid to explain your thought process even if you don't get the answer. Physics was similar to that. General was really nice can't lie the teachers are all very sweet.

I'm afraid I can't help with the rest because i didnt take econ or any language tests but i hope this has helped x
Wow, if you had to use Olympiad questions to prepare then they must have been hard. I’m beginning to think that I may need all the time I can get so thanks for replying

You have also reminded me of some few extra questions that I had (if you don’t mind):
Are you doing A-levels at nlcs?
Is the entrance exam different for those who want to do IB?
username5250818
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Wow, if you had to use Olympiad questions to prepare then they must have been hard. I’m beginning to think that I may need all the time I can get so thanks for replying

You have also reminded me of some few extra questions that I had (if you don’t mind):
Are you doing A-levels at nlcs?
Is the entrance exam different for those who want to do IB?
im a bit of a mess i have an offer for a levels but may switch to IB im still thinking about is as terrible as that sounds. and i don't think the exam is different as far as i know you just do exams for your HL subjects but don't quote me on that as i don't know x
also for physics i missed/guessed about half the questions so dw too much
sixthformapp
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I got a habs girls interview but does everyone gte interviewed in all a levl subjects and is it like another exam interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise