The Student Room Group

Biochemistry jobs and salary?

I was just wondering if I was to go and do a degree in biochemistry what sort of options would I have for jobs in the future ? I am planning on studying biochemistry and then going on to do a vet degree but if that wasn’t possible I want to make sure if I decided to persue a career in biochem that i would be happy and not have to worry about not making much money etc
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
you can go into finance with a biochemistry degree

Warwick website says this:
Graduates on our courses have gone on to work for employers including: Astra Zeneca, NHS, Civil Service, KPMG, Johnson & Johnson, Tesla, ALS: Sarstedt Ltd, Novartis, universities and schools.

They have pursued roles such as: graduate-entry medicine students; NHS scientists; biomedical research and development scientists; scientific publishing professionals; laboratory technicians; teachers; business, marketing and accountancy professionals; or have gone on to complete postgraduate study or research.

Oxford website says this:
Biochemists play an important role in biological, environmental and clinical fields, with employment areas stretching from healthcare through forensic science to the food and pharmaceutical industries. Typically about 60% of our biochemistry graduates go on to do research or further study, mostly in the biochemistry field, while others find employment in industry, commerce or other areas, such as finance and the law. Further details of careers in biochemistry can be found on the UK Biochemical Society website.
Original post by mio.648
you can go into finance with a biochemistry degree

Warwick website says this:
Graduates on our courses have gone on to work for employers including: Astra Zeneca, NHS, Civil Service, KPMG, Johnson & Johnson, Tesla, ALS: Sarstedt Ltd, Novartis, universities and schools.

They have pursued roles such as: graduate-entry medicine students; NHS scientists; biomedical research and development scientists; scientific publishing professionals; laboratory technicians; teachers; business, marketing and accountancy professionals; or have gone on to complete postgraduate study or research.

Oxford website says this:
Biochemists play an important role in biological, environmental and clinical fields, with employment areas stretching from healthcare through forensic science to the food and pharmaceutical industries. Typically about 60% of our biochemistry graduates go on to do research or further study, mostly in the biochemistry field, while others find employment in industry, commerce or other areas, such as finance and the law. Further details of careers in biochemistry can be found on the UK Biochemical Society website.

Thank you very much :smile:, however I was kind of hoping to hear from a biochemistry graduate or someone who is currently studying it
Reply 3
Hi :smile: I don't do biochemistry I'm afraid, but I'm a current vet student, so if you've got any questions about studying veterinary medicine I can try to answer those!

Vet surgeon salaries aren't bad - graduate salaries are good, but salary progression overall is poor. While you can, in most cases, still live without having to worry about money, you won't make a bucketload (nowhere near what human doctors will make).

Obviously if vet is your second degree, then you will have to find a way to fund it yourself (no student finance for second degree) so you will be having to find money for 4/5 years of studying and potentially paying off student debt/loans for a long time. But then if you do decide on veterinary medicine, you'll be going into it for the love of it rather than the money anyways.

Hope this helps xx
I'm a Biochem undergrad on placement. I totally agree with all the things mio said - I've been shocked at the opportunities available to me. I currently work within life sciences manufacturing and within my company alone they recruit Biochemists for lab-based roles, sales roles, quality control roles and roles such as team leaders within manufacturing as well as R&D:smile:
Original post by Cookie0799
I'm a Biochem undergrad on placement. I totally agree with all the things mio said - I've been shocked at the opportunities available to me. I currently work within life sciences manufacturing and within my company alone they recruit Biochemists for lab-based roles, sales roles, quality control roles and roles such as team leaders within manufacturing as well as R&D:smile:

Would you say the pay is good, because what scares me the most is to be underpaid in this career

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending