Vegan milk substitutes

Watch
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Today I brought some 'oat' drink which is intended as a milk substitute.
I noticed that it had NO from of fortification. With in the context of increasing amounts of young people becoming vegan, the government needs to develop legislation forcing companies to start fortifying all milk substitutes.
I do really worry about people's health and veganisum. It is possible to be healthy and vegan BUT it is equally very easy to become malnourished as a vegan.
If the government doesn't take action they are going to end up with a massive public health crisis (yeah another one).
Thoughts?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Education about a balanced dairy free diet is one thing.
But I disagree with forcing companies to fortify dairy free milks.

There are plenty of fortified options on the market for those who want them.
I'm not vegan, my best friend is dairy allergic and I have plenty of vegan friends.
I've been eating and making a variety of vegan milks, cheeses & ice creams since I was school aged.
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Education about a balanced dairy free diet is one thing.
But I disagree with forcing companies to fortify dairy free milks.

There are plenty of fortified options on the market for those who want them.
I'm not vegan, my best friend is dairy allergic and I have plenty of vegan friends.
I've been eating and making a variety of vegan milks, cheeses & ice creams since I was school aged.
How do you view the fortification of flour then?

Part of the problem is that fortified vegan milks are more expensive than non fortified milks.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 year ago
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by glassalice)
How do you view the fortification of flour then?
Part of the problem is that fortified vegan milks are more expensive than non fortified milks.
I'm not a fan of that law.
Nor the folic acid fortification in america and canada.
My mother's family are still eating unfortified flour, drinking raw milk and don't use electricity (equate it with evil & the devil).

It depends where the vegan supplies are being sold; shops in areas with a large religious vegan population and asian groceries stores often offer much better prices than the high street.
glassalice
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
I'm not a fan of that law.
Nor the folic acid fortification in america and canada.
My mother's family are still eating unfortified flour, drinking raw milk and don't use electricity (equate it with evil & the devil).

It depends where the vegan supplies are being sold; shops in areas with a large religious vegan population and asian groceries stores often offer much better prices than the high street.
(Sorry for the interrogation)
So it may be culturally unacceptable for some people to consume fortified products, so therefore discriminatory.
Some areas of the UK aren't multicultural in anyway, at my school there was only one girl who appeared black out of 450 pupils and NO Asians what so ever. So in some area there just aren't those kind of shops.

Is your concern based mainly around indervidual choice? Do you think that fortification could at all improve public health?
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by glassalice)
(Sorry for the interrogation)
So it may be culturally unacceptable for some people to consume fortified products, so therefore discriminatory.
Some areas of the UK aren't multicultural in anyway, at my school there was only one girl who appeared black out of 450 pupils and NO Asians what so ever. So in some area there just aren't those kind of shops.

Is your concern based mainly around indervidual choice? Do you think that fortification could at all improve public health?
Mostly individual choice.
There is probably a lot of potential to improve health, same as with a few of the most popular vitamin supplements health shops and fitness centres stock.

I do have some concerns about the unintended consequences of mandatory fortification and the possibility that changing vegan milk recipes could have adverse heath consequences for some people.
It could risk generating antagonism amongst traditionalist communities, people who have chosen eccentric dietary habits/lifestyle regimes and people with allergies or pre-existing health vulnerabilities whose bodies may react negatively to encountering updated vegan milk recipes.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think people need to be more well educated generally about healthy diets tbh.
greenapples2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
depends on the brand. The soy milk I have is fortified
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (110)
27.57%
England (138)
34.59%
Belgium (30)
7.52%
Germany (41)
10.28%
Spain (9)
2.26%