Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, I’m confident I’ve referenced correctly and the content is generally alright but I realised I didn’t put the location of the publishing books in my bibliography? I feel silly not taking this into account, should I worry or will they not deduct too many marks for it. Thanks.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I’m confident I’ve referenced correctly and the content is generally alright but I realised I didn’t put the location of the publishing books in my bibliography? I feel silly not taking this into account, should I worry or will they not deduct too many marks for it. Thanks.
HI,
I'm a current PhD History Student at Hull
I know that there have been occasions where I have been unable to find a location for publications with some of the works which I have used (usually Palgrave Macmillan as well as few others) and so I have had gaps in my bibliography where its referenced as publisher and year and I don't believe I have been marked down for it.
Whilst I don't know which university you are at, so, therefore, can't advise how they mark pieces of work, I would advise that so long as it is generally referenced with the publisher and year you should be ok.
My advice would be that if you are worried to check your mark scheme if you were provided with one as that should include how they mark referencing.
Hope this is helpful/slightly reassuring
Emily
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
HI,
I know that there have been occasions where I have been unable to find a location for publications with some of the works which I have used (usually Palgrave Macmillan as well as few others) and so I have had gaps in my bibliography where its referenced as publisher and year and I don't believe I have been marked down for it.
Whilst I don't know which university you are at, so, therefore, can't advise how they mark pieces of work, I would advise that so long as it is generally referenced with the publisher and year you should be ok.
My advice would be that if you are worried to check your mark scheme if you were provided with one as that should include how they mark referencing.
Emily
Yeah this has helped reassure me a little, thanks Emily!
blueboy1134
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
HI,
Emily
Hiya, just wanted to know whether you get marked down for missing references in bibliography, when there is an in text citation. Seems that I have missed out three references from my biblio, of a 12,000 word dissertation with 170 references. Quite stressed as I've also spotted some missing commas in other references (Harvard style)??
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not all referencing styles require you to put the location of the publisher, so you're probably fine anyway.
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Not all referencing styles require you to put the location of the publisher, so you're probably fine anyway.
Agree with the above, whether you need the location depends on your referencing style. Maybe look at the reference guide for your system e.g. Harvard referencing guide. Your university may also have a specific referencing guide so that’s worth looking out for too.
Last edited by lawcalling; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads