The Student Room Group

Was what my tutors did to me okay?

When I was studying at University, I carried out A LOT of free work for my tutors. They would be calling me into their office to carry out their admin tasks for them, they also had me painting walls and windows, hoovering floors, taking their clothes to the dry cleaners, sorting out their timetables, sending me into London to pick/up drop off for them and lots more. I would also like to add, that I didn't get paid for this and if I had to go to London (for example) I would have to pay out of my own pocket. They told me it was valuable 'work experience.' However, it wasn't until I left University that I felt I might have been used? Also, I left University nearly two years ago and didn't get a job at the end of it, despite all the free work I completed (and not just for them). Now, I think about this everyday and feel horrible about it. I'm so angry that I might have let them take advantage of me. After all, it's not like they asked any other students to help them out with their work? It was only me even though I was in full time education and also had a part-time job to think about. Was what they did okay? Does anyone have any tips on how to move on and forget about this?

Scroll to see replies

They clearly used you. You could consider consulting a solicitor regarding your legal rights.
Reply 2
What action can you bring about them in retrospect?
Original post by jegrah
When I was studying at University, I carried out A LOT of free work for my tutors. They would be calling me into their office to carry out their admin tasks for them, they also had me painting walls and windows, hoovering floors, taking their clothes to the dry cleaners, sorting out their timetables, sending me into London to pick/up drop off for them and lots more. I would also like to add, that I didn't get paid for this and if I had to go to London (for example) I would have to pay out of my own pocket. They told me it was valuable 'work experience.' However, it wasn't until I left University that I felt I might have been used? Also, I left University nearly two years ago and didn't get a job at the end of it, despite all the free work I completed (and not just for them). Now, I think about this everyday and feel horrible about it. I'm so angry that I might have let them take advantage of me. After all, it's not like they asked any other students to help them out with their work? It was only me even though I was in full time education and also had a part-time job to think about. Was what they did okay? Does anyone have any tips on how to move on and forget about this?

What university was this, then? The University of Pyongyank?
Original post by jegrah

You should tell your university's governing body about that. That is not okay. Who know's if they're exploiting more students like this?
Original post by jegrah

Don't take this the wrong way, but didn't you ask/look around and see that no one else was being an unpaid PA for their lecturers? Surely you wouldn't think that that is expected lecturer-student behaviour...

Why didn't you just say "No, I'm too busy studying"?
I would sue them, this is not okay.
What are you, a personal assistant? It baffles me you're even having to ask this question.
I feel so bad for u , they clearly did take advantage of u , I'm sorry you had to go through that
Original post by jegrah
they also had me painting walls and windows, hoovering floors, taking their clothes to the dry cleaners, sorting out their timetables, sending me into London to pick/up drop off for them and lots more. I would also like to add, that I didn't get paid for this and if I had to go to London (for example) I would have to pay out of my own pocket.

Original post by jegrah
painting walls and windows, hoovering floors, taking their clothes to the dry cleaners

No. What they did was wrong.
Reply 10
And you just did everything without question? Tell the uni but expect nothing you should have thought it through before doing it all.
So many trolls.
"Here you, do all this stuff!"

"No thanks, I don't work here"
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
They clearly used you. You could consider consulting a solicitor regarding your legal rights.

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Reply 14
Original post by Reality Check
What university was this, then? The University of Pyongyank?

It was University for the Creative Arts in Epsom, Surrey.
Original post by jegrah

In case you didn't realise university is a scam no better than the "learn how to make money by teaching people how to make money courses". People that can, do. People that can't, teach.
Reply 16
Original post by pineapple201
You should tell your university's governing body about that. That is not okay. Who know's if they're exploiting more students like this?

Thanks for your reply, I'll look into it.
Reply 17
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Don't take this the wrong way, but didn't you ask/look around and see that no one else was being an unpaid PA for their lecturers? Surely you wouldn't think that that is expected lecturer-student behaviour...

Why didn't you just say "No, I'm too busy studying"?

It's fine, I didn't take that the wrong way. The thing is, we were expected to be unpaid PA's, as we had to carry out a 'work experience' unit. It was compulsory. Except, that was only supposed to last for 1-3 months. This went on for over a year.
Reply 18
Original post by Fermion.
What are you, a personal assistant? It baffles me you're even having to ask this question.

I'm asking because I just wanted to know if anyone else had shared a similar experience and before I report/sue/whatever, I needed to gain more perspectives. They also said it was 'work experience' hence which made me think it was okay at first. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
I feel so bad for u , they clearly did take advantage of u , I'm sorry you had to go through that

Thanks, I just wish I'd never gone to university now. If I'd known all this was going to happen, then wouldn't have bothered. Got nothing out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending