Grace Appleby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So I know I’m definitely doing History and Philosophy in September, but I’m struggling to pick a final option. Does anyone know any subjects which will combine well with them, I also want to be a criminal analyst when I’m older or become a lawyer I’m not sure
Luwei
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Psychology; if you know what criminals think that would be an advantage.
Littlegeekgirl_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
In sociology (aqa which most schools do) there is a topic in crime from a governmental perspective such as race, class, age and critical theories. Sociology would go very well with your other A levels. Also A level Law which has a whole paper on criminal law with cases and the more theoretical side. I would say either of these would be perfect for you. Other options could include psychology, English, politics, economics, chemistry. Hope this helps and keep me updated!
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Grace Appleby)
So I know I’m definitely doing History and Philosophy in September, but I’m struggling to pick a final option. Does anyone know any subjects which will combine well with them, I also want to be a criminal analyst when I’m older or become a lawyer I’m not sure
I'd probably consider Psychology, Law or Sociology if you prefer essay-based subjects. A-Level law covered criminal law over both years when I took it, but it's probably worth checking if the spec has changed.
Last edited by lawcalling; 8 months ago
emegan02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Littlegeekgirl_)
In sociology (aqa which most schools do) there is a topic in crime from a governmental perspective such as race, class, age and critical theories. Sociology would go very well with your other A levels. Also A level Law which has a whole paper on criminal law with cases and the more theoretical side. I would say either of these would be perfect for you. Other options could include psychology, English, politics, economics, chemistry. Hope this helps and keep me updated!
You might find taking a Language here helps or a humanities.
lixxy0714
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
psychology for sure, you cover a lot to do with crime (e.g eyewitness testimonies and psychopathology, social influence) and it's a very well respected subject. for many top universities it can be considered a science when applying for social science degrees (as you want to be a criminal analyst

it's still a good subject for law, my oldest sister took sociology, psychology, criminology and maths at alevel and has said herself that she is so glad she took psych

law is a good idea as it does cover some of the first year content however some unis do advise you either not to take law or prefer you to not have taken law at alevel as they consider alevel law to not be in depth enough and so, prefer to teach you themselves so predetermined ideologies from alevel don't impact their teaching

sociology also is a good subject to combine but it is to be said that psych is a tad more respected than sociology purely on the basis of psych being more of a science

do all of these subjects interest you at all? it's moreover more important that you tale a subject you think you will like than just a subject you think will combine well
emegan02
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'd advise looking at what subjects are really respected and are a good combination. If you don't enjoy your subjects, it will be a struggle. I would recommend looking at the specification to see what you might be covering over the course and maybe trying to contact current year 13s to ask for their opinions.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'd recommend a foreign language. I did what you did + English Lit + languages, and languages were definitely a nice break from so much essay writing. All the reading and writing can get dense and exhausting. Definitely refreshing to do something different that's also quite similar at the same time.
Anonymousamie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Sociology 100%! It ties in with History so well and as an above user mentioned, there’s a topic on Crime and Deviance!
emegan02
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'd recommend a foreign language. I did what you did + English Lit + languages, and languages were definitely a nice break from so much essay writing. All the reading and writing can get dense and exhausting. Definitely refreshing to do something different that's also quite similar at the same time.
On the same wave length as you. English Lit goes so well as it helps you to write coherently.
My suggestions would be
Languages
English Lit
Psychology
Sociology
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by emegan02)
English Lit goes so well as it helps you to write coherently.
I actually think you can pick up rather good writing skills from History (as well as Philosophy). In fact, I feel that the writing skills I acquired from History prepared me the most for my undergraduate degree, even for the modules I did on literature.

I definitely don't think English Lit is necessary to learn how to write coherently. I would only do it if you like it. :rambo:
emegan02
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What did you enjoy at GCSE? I know someone people love it at GCSE and hate it at A level but it might help you decide between some.
Grace Appleby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by emegan02)
What did you enjoy at GCSE? I know someone people love it at GCSE and hate it at A level but it might help you decide between some.
I did History, German, Drama, Rs, English, Maths and Foundation Science, I didn’t particularly enjoy German and Drama and I can’t get onto the Maths and Science courses as I was on foundation
emegan02
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In that case I think English Lit, Sociology or Psychology. Have you spoken to your parents about it? If you want to do law at uni, any of the combinations would work well. My advice would be to find out what exam board your school offers and maybe email subject leaders. If your school or college has a sixth form page or document, then I would advise looking at the individual subject pages to see what you'll be covering over the two years. This may be of comfort to you bit when I was choosing my a level subjects, it was a huge struggle for me. At first I choose Maths, Geography and Biology then in September it was French, Biology and Sociology then after October it was French, English Lit and Sociology.
leoakise
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Have you considered sociology or criminology? I know both of these courses receive good feedback from others, and tie into your career goals well!
eva.bailey24
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What subjects do you enjoy most? Definitely consider future prospects, but, because law has no specific subject requirements, doing what you like and are good at will help you to get the grades you need to get onto a law course. Of course, A Level Law would be a good option if you can take it, but like I said there really are no specific requirements for going into law
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi Grace ApplebyI think you should consider taking Psychology! It would fit in well with being a criminal analyst or lawyer and it is a really fun subject. Let me know if you have any questions about it as I took it for A-Level and got an A. Also have a look at the courses you want to apply to on the University's websites which you want to apply to and see what the entry requirements are as this is always a good way to check that you are on the right track.

Erin - Official Student Rep
millly
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would just say, make sure your 100% happy with taking 3 essay based subjects if you choose to do so. From experience I’ve heard it is very heavy, especially having the lessons back-to-back and in exam season.

It is good you want your subjects to go well together, but imagine your timetable next year; could you manage having 3 essays due in one day? Would you mind going from a philosophy lesson on the reasons for crime, to a psychology lesson on the causes crime? Sometimes it isn’t helpful having such similar subjects if they can get mixed up (which my friends have done with psychology and sociology)
Obviously if you enjoy these type of subjects and you’re good at them, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Personally, I would suggest having a different subject to break up the days, maybe biology, or a foreign language? These are always useful subjects to have.

Career choices change so much in sixth form I wouldn’t recommend choosing your a levels based on that; choose the subjects you enjoy, and you’ll end up where you want to be
emegan02
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by millly)
I would just say, make sure your 100% happy with taking 3 essay based subjects if you choose to do so. From experience I’ve heard it is very heavy, especially having the lessons back-to-back and in exam season.

It is good you want your subjects to go well together, but imagine your timetable next year; could you manage having 3 essays due in one day? Would you mind going from a philosophy lesson on the reasons for crime, to a psychology lesson on the causes crime? Sometimes it isn’t helpful having such similar subjects if they can get mixed up (which my friends have done with psychology and sociology)
Obviously if you enjoy these type of subjects and you’re good at them, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Personally, I would suggest having a different subject to break up the days, maybe biology, or a foreign language? These are always useful subjects to have.

Career choices change so much in sixth form I wouldn’t recommend choosing your a levels based on that; choose the subjects you enjoy, and you’ll end up where you want to be
Hey, that is so true. You definitely want a variety. Even a random subject that you might not have previously about might turn out to be the best decision you ever made. I'd definitely be inclined to opt for Biology or a language due to the density and intensity of a levels on general.
Career options may change so with this mind, it's good to have facilitating subjects which open as many doors in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (275)
56.35%
I don't have everything I need (213)
43.65%

Watched Threads