The Student Room Group

Am I going to have a terrible time at university?

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice/reassurance here.

I had a truly awful time at school. In the year before my GCSESs, my family moved across the country and my sister were put in a new school. Within weeks of me starting there, someone sprained my wrist when they pushed me over. The school barely did anything at all, she was put in isolation and a week later she was out. It then got worse, it would happen everyday; I'd walk home and the other kids would throw stones at me. One kid stuck a compass in my hand when I wasn't looking.

I complained to teachers, who honestly did nothing.
Over the next two years I went from being the top 1-2 student in my class to genuinely not caring. I did everything I could to avoid school. It was awful. It got to the point when I was a few months away from doing my final exams, my mother pulled me out of the school and rang them up and said I'd be doing the rest of my studies from home. I ended up getting Bs and Cs. I had been originally predicted for predominately A*s. It has, to this day, massively affected my confidence.

The school I was at was so notorious for bullying problems I begged my mother not to put my lovely younger brother through the same school. He ended up going somewhere 30 odd miles further away.

A couple of years after I left, the school underwent an ofsted inspection and was put in special measures within the day, the headteacher resigned and it made the local paper. Apparently several students and parents had come forward to talk about the schools complete lack of duty of care of students, and a number of victims had been self-harming.

Anyway, I'm 26 now, and really want to return to education. One abusive relationship and god knows how many jobs I hate, I've really had enough. I found out within the last year that I'm autistic, which probably accounted for a lot. I'm wanting to study Mathematical Physics at Edinburgh, but I'm still worried. Am I going to be really old out of all the students and have a horrible time of it again? I know it might sound daft but its been on my mind a lot lately.

Thanks in advance
Original post by HelenBusy
Hi all,

I had a truly awful time at school. In the year before my GCSESs, my family moved across the country and my sister were put in a new school. Within weeks of me starting there, someone sprained my wrist when they pushed me over. The school barely did anything at all, she was put in isolation and a week later she was out. It then got worse, it would happen everyday; I'd walk home and the other kids would throw stones at me. One kid stuck a compass in my hand when I wasn't looking.

Over the next two years I went from being the top 1-2 student in my class to genuinely not caring. I did everything I could to avoid school. It was awful. It got to the point when I was a few months away from doing my final exams, my mother pulled me out of the school and rang them up and said I'd be doing the rest of my studies from home. I ended up getting Bs and Cs. I had been originally predicted for predominately A*s. It has, to this day, massively affected my confidence.

The school I was at was so notorious for bullying problems I begged my mother not to put my lovely younger brother through the same school. He ended up going somewhere 30 odd miles further away.

A couple of years after I left, the school underwent an ofsted inspection and was put in special measures within the day, the headteacher resigned and it made the local paper. Apparently several students and parents had come forward to talk about the schools complete lack of duty of care of students, and a number of victims had been self-harming.

Anyway, I'm 26 now, and really want to return to education. One abusive relationship and god knows how many jobs I hate, I've really had enough. I found out within the last year that I'm autistic, which probably accounted for a lot. I'm wanting to study Mathematical Physics at Edinburgh, but I'm still worried. Am I going to be really old out of all the students and have a horrible time of it again? I know it might sound daft but its been on my mind a lot lately.

Thanks in advance

Aww so sorry for what you have been through man! People dont really care how old you are at university so it really does not matter! Just have fun at university:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Aww so sorry for what you have been through man! People dont really care how old you are at university so it really does not matter! Just have fun at university:smile:

Did anyone else have a horrible at school and then do really at uni?
Reply 3

Did anyone else have a horrible at school and then do really at uni?

Right....

1) age genuinely doesn't matter at uni.
2) I know someone who passed about 2 GCSEs (got GCSE English first time and took 3 attempts to get a C in GCSE maths), got DDE at A level, went through clearing to get a place at uni where the only condition was maths GCSE which they fortunately got the C result a week later, and got a 1st in a computer science degree. This person now has a decent job with Microsoft. The friends this person has are the ones who really matter.
3) those that judge really aren't worth your time and effort. Promise.
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Hi @HelenBusy

I'm sorry you had to go through that. However I would say in my experience people in university are a lot more mature and friendlier. Also there are students of all different ages at uni. And not much attention is paid to age, so I wouldn't worry too much. I hope everything goes well good luck:smile:

Zaira :smile:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

This wouldnt happen at university. The culture & environment is very different to school.

Is their any immaturity, yes, but this is kept outside of education and more student messing around having fun with their mates away from the academic setting.

You will pick your peers, and what you do.

unis dont have the sort of enclosed feeling where you cant get away from your peers, you pick where and what you do. The academics should have a more serious feel thenm school ever did.
Reply 6
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for replying, it's been weighing on my mind for a while.

Xxx
Hi @HelenBusy
Im a student at Lancaster university and I’m here to reassure you ! I wouldn’t worry to much about being older than other students and bullying ! On my course there were a couple of students who were slightly older than us, not massively but some had took gap years and they settled in just fine. And at many universities there’s also services to report bullying and get help and support if needed so this should reassure you that you can get the help if you need it ! And it’s a good idea to let the university know your autistic if you feel comfortable doing do, they can offer you support and advice. Overall the you can reach out to the universities if your struggling in any aspect of life and they should support you. Have a great time at university !
Student ambassador Holly at Lancaster Uni

Quick Reply

Latest