The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I went to that small shop in Stevenage I mentioned before and got a couple of big bottles of Mountain Dew, and I decided to try some of the A&W root beer.

At first I couldn't get over how much it smelled like Listerine, but it tasted pretty nice :biggrin:
Reply 21
Sainsburies has some bottles. No idea what brand it is, but it isn't Sainburies own.

It is good, but no where as good as the actual American stuff. This thread has prompted me to go to my local Asda, however...
Keziah
Ooh, I'm definitely interested if I can get it in an actual shop rather than expensively online.

I'll be trying Asda when I get back to England, and if not, I shall hunt for a Waitrose. I think Waitrose is only in posh southern places, but maybe there are more...

There's a big Waitrose in Sheffield, so theyre not all in posh southern places (just most of them) anyway if you're in Derbyshire its probably not that far to Sheffield. Also one in Nottingham I think...
Reply 23
toddlers crossword
There's a big Waitrose in Sheffield, so theyre not all in posh southern places (just most of them) anyway if you're in Derbyshire its probably not that far to Sheffield. Also one in Nottingham I think...

Thanks.
Yeah, I looked it up on their website, and there's one in Nottingham, which is only about 10 miles away. :smile:
Reply 24
Carters is to root beer as Reliant Robins were to cars! :yep:

Sainsburys ALSO stock Carters root beer too, i buy it sometimes.

Does anyone know any asian supermarkets (names of them and location) where we can get A+W? i might take a trip over there to get some :biggrin:
Your best bet is Chinatown. Not sure what the name of the shop is but it's right next to a cake shop, if I'm not mistaken. Hmm or maybe it is in the cake shop itself. Sells A&W 2L bottles, too. A year ago I bought two 2L bottles for under 5 quids. Mmmm A&W. Heaven.
Reply 26
Hi there - well if in need of A&W root beer - and in north london - I've found some at the Wing Yip oriental supermarket in Staples Corner on the A5 Nr cricklewood. It's a bargin 65p a can.

It's just sad McDonalds stopped selling it.

Happy root beer hunting

F
Reply 27
I think someone's already mentioned it but "Bundaberg" from Waitrose is really good, it's the proper old recipe, it's delicious. "Carter's" isn't bad but it's a little sweet - I think Bundaberg is of a higher quality. Plus you can buy Bundaberg in glass bottles in small packs of four for relatively cheap, so it adds a bit of freshness. Either that or just go into London and get all the American stuff. Iv'e never seen root beer in Budgens, there should be some petition to bring this stuff over here properly. I'd buy it constantly, such a nice drink.
Reply 28
Just put in my vote to Mcdonalds!

I live in Bristol. Carters is available at Asda, and is ok. It's also by far the cheapest (£1.20 for 6). Bundaberg is ok, but not really worth the cost. The best I've tasted is Goose Island, which a local pub has started stocking. It has a good wintergreen taste, and very vanilla without being sweet.

I'm thinking of buying up a bunch from here: http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2_12&products_id=337 (if I can't get it cheaper from whoever stocks the pub!)

Bundaberg has a good aftertaste.
Carters is probably the most similar to the old McDonalds root beer, but Carters is a bit sweeter, and not so wintergreeny.

I've also heard that there are loads of places in London that you can get root beer from. I think I'm going soon, so I'll try to get a crate.
This thread is making me crave a root beer float. :coma:
Reply 30
Some good replies, i might try and get to manchester some time and go around the chinese shops, they have a big wing yip there, could be worth an investigate. I'll report back!
Reply 31
The 'carters' root beer, has nothing on A&W. i want some!!!! need to be back in the states :frown:
dont know that it smells of listerine, i was told germaline.
Heck i dont care, tastes darn good.
Theres a waitrose in queens gate in kensington if anyones in london.
Reply 32
Hi ,Someone mentioned a shop in Stevenage, do you know where in Stevenage it is?

Thanks
Reply 33
frank121
Hi there - well if in need of A&W root beer - and in north london - I've found some at the Wing Yip oriental supermarket in Staples Corner on the A5 Nr cricklewood. It's a bargin 65p a can.

Confirmed they also sell lots of other goodies real cheap like Schweppes cream soda and Mountain dew. Best bet if you live in london or near a Wing yip.
Reply 34
Got some A&W off Ebay...damn great.
Reply 35
i think its too costly off ebay
Reply 36
I'd also like to know where in Stevenage you can get hold of A&W, please!
Should have quoted me, I would have responded faster! :p:
Reply 38
I saw Wing-Yip have an online store, you can shop online. A&W Root Beer is 72p a can :smile:

And yeah, Ebay is a joke for root beer - really expensive.
jazz4
I saw Wing-Yip have an online store, you can shop online. A&W Root Beer is 72p a can :smile:

And yeah, Ebay is a joke for root beer - really expensive.

I can now confirm Wing Yip now sell it for 58p/can...wow.

I'm off to Cambridge on Saturday to see a mate and will try and get some there, otherwise I'm off to Cricklewood on Sunday.

Latest