The Student Room Group

Started off as fairytales and now we don’t go a day without arguing

i love my bf. we been through a lot but throughout he’s always shown his love for me . usually he’s very romantic and people have told me they see so much love in the way he looks at me/talks about me. our biggest problem has been communication, we are both very stubborn and hot headed so we often go round in petty circles and small very irrelevant issues become HUGE full blown rows. Sometimes he can be so rude and not think of how i feel, then completely smitten and funny soon after we made up.

We’ve been through how to argue better etc and idk we both slacked and then the other person who is trying feels like it’s pointless.

recently (during lockdown) its been hell. arguing everyday and it hasn’t been a good time for us. i decided we needed a break after we had an argument and he was shouting and being petty, not listening (v hard to get him out of that mindset once he’s set on being right) and i was hurt but trying to reason w him .... but i just couldnt and said ‘i’m going to block you on everything and i need a break’ . Obviously this annoyed him and he mimicked my voice and said ‘blocking you.. break’ and i just said he’s childish and hung up. I didn’t contact him for 4 days and in that time he did try and email me and message me but i needed space so didn’t reply.
I messaged him after the 4th day with a very long reason for the break and what needed to change. and he was very upset and said that he assumed we were over and he no longer wants to work it out. i was shocked and said i felt stronger for him and the time apart had been a great reminder of what’s important. he said he felt betrayed that i could go those days without speaking and didn’t like how i just cut contact. He said he’s used this time to try and move on... in 4 days...

I basically had to convince him to give us a chance and explain why i did what i did (his temper, his immaturity, i’m the one constantly reasoning). I then had to apologise for going about the break wrong and now he wants to meet in person this weekend to finally talk about everything and how we feel. until then he just wants us to be normal.

Today we had 2 arguments because i was being insecure and needy (as i feel like he doesn’t love me the same now) and he said some horrible things like he was at peace when we were on a break free from my nagging. He also said ‘he needs a few days space to collect his thoughts’. It just seems to me that he is trying to get back at me by wanting this space.... we made up lovingly and obviously he doesn’t actually want a few days space, he says he’ll work on his arguing style and hopefully arguments will be kept to a minimum before our talk this weekend.

My friends are convinced he’s twisted the whole break and made it seem like i’m in the wrong without understanding that i had a very good reason for needing space. Also he’s bringing up that he needs his own break to upset me and punish me.

what do i do. i just want things to go back to how they were but all these rows and crying i just feel so drained
You guys have communication issues. I would recommend couples counselling.
Reply 2
but we do have great times when we are together. we’ve always been long distance tho so met once a month. and it’s always when we are apart do we lose focus
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
i love my bf. we been through a lot but throughout he’s always shown his love for me . usually he’s very romantic and people have told me they see so much love in the way he looks at me/talks about me. our biggest problem has been communication, we are both very stubborn and hot headed so we often go round in petty circles and small very irrelevant issues become HUGE full blown rows. Sometimes he can be so rude and not think of how i feel, then completely smitten and funny soon after we made up.

We’ve been through how to argue better etc and idk we both slacked and then the other person who is trying feels like it’s pointless.

recently (during lockdown) its been hell. arguing everyday and it hasn’t been a good time for us. i decided we needed a break after we had an argument and he was shouting and being petty, not listening (v hard to get him out of that mindset once he’s set on being right) and i was hurt but trying to reason w him .... but i just couldnt and said ‘i’m going to block you on everything and i need a break’ . Obviously this annoyed him and he mimicked my voice and said ‘blocking you.. break’ and i just said he’s childish and hung up. I didn’t contact him for 4 days and in that time he did try and email me and message me but i needed space so didn’t reply.
I messaged him after the 4th day with a very long reason for the break and what needed to change. and he was very upset and said that he assumed we were over and he no longer wants to work it out. i was shocked and said i felt stronger for him and the time apart had been a great reminder of what’s important. he said he felt betrayed that i could go those days without speaking and didn’t like how i just cut contact. He said he’s used this time to try and move on... in 4 days...

I basically had to convince him to give us a chance and explain why i did what i did (his temper, his immaturity, i’m the one constantly reasoning). I then had to apologise for going about the break wrong and now he wants to meet in person this weekend to finally talk about everything and how we feel. until then he just wants us to be normal.

Today we had 2 arguments because i was being insecure and needy (as i feel like he doesn’t love me the same now) and he said some horrible things like he was at peace when we were on a break free from my nagging. He also said ‘he needs a few days space to collect his thoughts’. It just seems to me that he is trying to get back at me by wanting this space.... we made up lovingly and obviously he doesn’t actually want a few days space, he says he’ll work on his arguing style and hopefully arguments will be kept to a minimum before our talk this weekend.

My friends are convinced he’s twisted the whole break and made it seem like i’m in the wrong without understanding that i had a very good reason for needing space. Also he’s bringing up that he needs his own break to upset me and punish me.

what do i do. i just want things to go back to how they were but all these rows and crying i just feel so drained

keep praying to God for a breakthrough and answers, i am praying for you. Please don't get too annoyed and then regret it later on, please maintain a cool head. Remember forgiveness is so vital in relationships, God Bless truly

Troll troll troll
Reply 5
Troll troll troll

i’m not? i just wanted some helpful advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending