The Student Room Group

Alternative Careers to the Armed Forces?

I was aiming and working towards a career in the Armed Forces; however due to medical reasons (diagnosed with Coeliac Disease) I know I wouldn't be eligible to send an application in. It's not recent news (19 months) but it's still certainly a spanner in the works! I am struggling to think of alternatives.

With career offices (the civvy ones) closed I was wondering if anyone could throw in their perspectives of decent alternative careers? My interests for the Armed Forces were: Royal Military Police, Infantry and Guardsman. I have started to look into the civilian Police but I am not set on anything! I also thought about getting an SIA Close Protection license but: I wouldn't get a sniff of the 'hostile' gigs without prior military experience, and although I could (more realistically compared to hostile gigs) go for executive protection jobs; the market I would be up against would still be extremely tough, competing with seasoned guards, ex-coppers, ex-military etc.

A few short reasons for wanting to join the Armed Forces are: helping people, protecting my country, and the opportunity to travel.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
MoD Police?
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
MoD Police?

MOD Police could be worth looking into a bit more. Thanks.
Original post by Stb1750
MOD Police could be worth looking into a bit more. Thanks.

If I was 15 years younger I’d consider the Merchant Navy. Some great opportunities and you get a lot of travel. Some roles support the Royal Navy.

Quick Reply

Latest