Senior Physics Challenge (year 12) vs Oxford PAT

Watch
jojicr7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
hi there
im preparing for the oxford admission test PAT, but since its really hard i cant just dive into the past papers. so i was looking through senior physics challenge papers first instead.
Is it less difficult than the PAT? if not, suggest easier papers (other than AS papers coz ive done those)
thanks
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
KingoftheBRUCE do you have any insight in senior physics challenge, in relation to PAT?
KingoftheBRUCE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Some of the questions in the Y12 Physics Challenge can be quite helpful as a starting point for your PAT prep. In my opinion the maths-y ones are a very good starting point to move up to the PAT, they are definitely easier than the real thing but harder than regular A levels. The multiple choice section is also good prep for the multiple choice part of the PAT. The wordier questions may be good at getting you to think about tricky scenarios, but they have a fairly different style to PAT questions, which are very maths-focused.

If you're struggling with the more recent PATs, the older ones are easier.

Isaac Physics is another good source of questions. They split their questions into difficulty levels, you want level 4 or 5 questions for PAT prep.

Hope this helps
jojicr7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Thanks!
So I can just have a go at SPC papers first then do the PAT papers?

Also I find the math section of the PAT quite easy compared to the physics section. I got 46/50 in the 2016 paper. But the physics portion is sooo difficult...which is why I was thinking of other resources. Is there anything easier than the SPC?
KingoftheBRUCE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jojicr7)
Thanks!
So I can just have a go at SPC papers first then do the PAT papers?

Also I find the math section of the PAT quite easy compared to the physics section. I got 46/50 in the 2016 paper. But the physics portion is sooo difficult...which is why I was thinking of other resources. Is there anything easier than the SPC?
Yes, do SPC first, then PAT.

I also found the maths section a lot easier than the physics section. But 46/50 is an absolutely amazing score; you'd only have needed to get 14/50 in the physics section to get to interview in that year!

As for your question, Isaac Physics has a lot of physics questions at a range of difficulty levels, so look there for something easier. The PAT is equivalent to their level 4 and 5 questions; you can start at level 3 and work your way up if jumping straight into levels 4/5 is too hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (416)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (320)
43.48%

Watched Threads