a level chemistry

Watch this thread
claireyeboah22
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hi can any one help me please to explain this two questions and how to write it

C) Explain the products that would be formed when cholestrol is reacted with bromine in organic solvent. Outline a mechanism for the reaction that takes place.
State the type of reaction that takes place when cholesterol is warmed with excess of hydrogen gas in the presence of a nickel catalyst and give the structure of the organic product.

D) State the type of reaction and give the structure of the product when cholesterol is heated with ethanoic acid ( CH3COOH) in the presence of concentracted sulphuric acid as catalyst.

Oestradiol Testosterone.
ALikesGeetars
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by claireyeboah22)
hi can any one help me please to explain this two questions and how to write it

C) Explain the products that would be formed when cholestrol is reacted with bromine in organic solvent. Outline a mechanism for the reaction that takes place.
State the type of reaction that takes place when cholesterol is warmed with excess of hydrogen gas in the presence of a nickel catalyst and give the structure of the organic product.

D) State the type of reaction and give the structure of the product when cholesterol is heated with ethanoic acid ( CH3COOH) in the presence of concentracted sulphuric acid as catalyst.

Oestradiol Testosterone.
Cholesterol is a sterol (steroid alcohol) and has a C=C as well as an OH group in its structure.

c) if you react an alkene with a halogen such as bromine you will form a haloalkane. For a mechanism, it's an electrophilic addition I believe.
Heating with a Ni catalyst is a hydrogenation (or addition) reaction where an alkene becomes an alkane.

d) this looks like an esterification reaction to me where an ester is produced from a Carboxylic acid and an alcohol. The ester bond is formed between the OH groups of the ethanoic acid and the cholesterol and water is produced (hence why it is known as a condensation reaction)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (34)
18.48%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (48)
26.09%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (91)
49.46%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (11)
5.98%

Watched Threads