claireyeboah22
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
hi can any one help me please to explain this two questions and how to write it

C) Explain the products that would be formed when cholestrol is reacted with bromine in organic solvent. Outline a mechanism for the reaction that takes place.
State the type of reaction that takes place when cholesterol is warmed with excess of hydrogen gas in the presence of a nickel catalyst and give the structure of the organic product.

D) State the type of reaction and give the structure of the product when cholesterol is heated with ethanoic acid ( CH3COOH) in the presence of concentracted sulphuric acid as catalyst.

Oestradiol Testosterone.
ALikesGeetars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by claireyeboah22)
hi can any one help me please to explain this two questions and how to write it

C) Explain the products that would be formed when cholestrol is reacted with bromine in organic solvent. Outline a mechanism for the reaction that takes place.
State the type of reaction that takes place when cholesterol is warmed with excess of hydrogen gas in the presence of a nickel catalyst and give the structure of the organic product.

D) State the type of reaction and give the structure of the product when cholesterol is heated with ethanoic acid ( CH3COOH) in the presence of concentracted sulphuric acid as catalyst.

Oestradiol Testosterone.
Cholesterol is a sterol (steroid alcohol) and has a C=C as well as an OH group in its structure.

c) if you react an alkene with a halogen such as bromine you will form a haloalkane. For a mechanism, it's an electrophilic addition I believe.
Heating with a Ni catalyst is a hydrogenation (or addition) reaction where an alkene becomes an alkane.

d) this looks like an esterification reaction to me where an ester is produced from a Carboxylic acid and an alcohol. The ester bond is formed between the OH groups of the ethanoic acid and the cholesterol and water is produced (hence why it is known as a condensation reaction)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (609)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (756)
41.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.43%

Watched Threads