gomp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
There seemed to be some interest on the official postgrad 2020 thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6182062), so starting this one.

I will be on the MSc ML in Sept. My background is - graduated some years ago, been working as a software developer for a few years in finance and related fields. Did thesis on ML related topic but as this was some years ago, the field wasn't so developed.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gomp)
There seemed to be some interest on the official postgrad 2020 thread (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6182062), so starting this one.

I will be on the MSc ML in Sept. My background is - graduated some years ago, been working as a software developer for a few years in finance and related fields. Did thesis on ML related topic but as this was some years ago, the field wasn't so developed.
Hi! I'm also starting MSc in ML and interested in finance/trading stuff. What made you apply for a master's degree when you already have a job in the related field? Also may I ask what sort of electives you are thinking of?
gomp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! I'm also starting MSc in ML and interested in finance/trading stuff. What made you apply for a master's degree when you already have a job in the related field? Also may I ask what sort of electives you are thinking of?
I have always been interested in ML. I'm not necessarily thinking of returning to finance- there are many fields in which ML is applicable. I've considered life sciences for various reasons.

Probably easier to list the electives I am not interested in... if I look at https://www.ucl.ac.uk/computer-scien...e-learning-msc - The ones I am not really interested in are

Affective Computing and Human-Robot Interaction
Robot Vision and Navigation
Robotic Systems Engineering
gomp
Rep:
?
Starting from the list on the course homepage, I'm just going down in order and doing a skim read of the course to get a better idea before I start. Have only started looking at https://www.ucl.ac.uk/module-catalog...rning/COMP0083 but I only got notified of my place last Friday, so only been doing it for 4 days.
gomp
Rep:
?
What about yourself- what electives are you considering?
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Thanks for the info! Yh same here. I'm not that interested in machine vision. I'd probably take a couple of machine learning modules and I'll fill the rest with deep learning. Multi agent learning seemed quite interesting too.
gomp
Rep:
?
I suppose machine vision is also second order for me, my main interest in it is for medical imaging. Not so interested in self driving cars or facial recognition.
SaiboH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I've been admitted to CSML for 20/21. Financial Economics background - I worked on the trading floor of an investment bank for a few years, then in fintech for a year. The progamme does seem very interesting, but I'm currently still debating with myself, whether it is the educational experience I was hoping for when I applied given that there seems to be a substantial chance that it will be taught online and I'm wondering whether it is still a good deal as an online programme.
gomp
Rep:
?
I can only give my own reasons for continuing even though I know it may well be mainly online- not trying to convince you either way, you need to make your own decision.

I am going to continue with the course because I think one of the aspects that is important to me is the proximity to interesting projects eg. the Crick Institute and the Gatsby Centre. That isn't going to change whether it's online or not. I think I'll still get a good education but that's based on my metric of what's a good education. It might not be the same as yours.

Good luck with whatever you decide
gomp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm currently reading https://www.amazon.co.uk/Course-Mach.../dp/1498738486 as preparation
jaid1996
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi all,

Gongrats on your offers!

I was wondering how many of you will be going to London to start your masters in October? I'm planning to go from the start (I have an offer ML), but as the course will also be offered online, I'm afraid that maybe a lot of students will follow their course remotely?
gomp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I live in London, so, me.
uhua842
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'll go to London from the start on (also for ML).
lloydelloyd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, nice to meet you all! Just accepted a place on CSML and feeling super excited. I know this is a bit of an uncertain time with coronavirus etc but I'm confident we are going to get a good education next year, universities will adapt and it might end up being good training in a new way of working that will emerge post pandemic? Feeling positive anyway.

On a personal level I'm going to use this course to make a career change and get a new direction in life. I've been working at hedge funds for the past few years ("disillusioned in finance" anyone?) and want to move into bioinformatics. Would be nice to have a sense of purpose in my career, over and above enriching myself!

I'm currently chilling in East London, keeping busy doing some groundwork for the course and some professional development. The most entertaining thing I did recently is build myself a computer with a shiny Turing series graphics card which I am obviously only going to use for NN training and not computer games.

Quite keen to join, or start, some sort of messaging group for offer holders. Have been on one for Kings and that has been a useful resource. Would be keen for example to share a bunch of pdf textbooks I've got knocking around, free lecture courses, chat about computer builds etc. Anyone know of one? The one at Kings sort of emerged out of an online student q&a sesh, not sure if UCL have done this yet.

Cheers,

Lawrence
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Hi guys can someone please tell me how long after you applied did it take to get your offer?
gomp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys can someone please tell me how long after you applied did it take to get your offer?
References complete Feb 24, offer received May 15 for ML. Close to 12 weeks
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Oh wow quite a while then. Thanks
gomp
Rep:
?
Oh wow quite a while then. Thanks
Was supposed to be 6 weeks but I applied just before the covid lockdown kicked off so I guessed all bets were off
tttaras
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi guys,

Do you know if there are any changes to the ML modules that will be delivered this year?
gomp
Rep:
?
(Original post by tttaras)
Hi guys,

Do you know if there are any changes to the ML modules that will be delivered this year?
They're going to be online to start with. What do you mean by "any changes"?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed