The Student Room Group

Are you all just going to sit back and watch your lives cancelled?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serenity-M
300,000 people are dead, 10% of those in the UK and you call it hysteria just because you want 'the proper uni experience'?

He's the kind of self centered goon who doesn't register that there are other people at universities. No comprehension of cleaners, admin, security staff, to name but a few, and the risks that they would be exposed to if a university reopened in full.
PHE has the annual death toll from influenza in the UK at roughly 17 000. Now, we are in full lockdown and have been for several months now - and yet our COVID death toll is over 30000 and thats not even the full statistic yet since many deaths are unaccounted for. It's most likely much higher. Imagine how many deaths we would see if there was NO LOCKDOWN? 15% of COVID infections require oxygen and 5% are critical infections. These numbers, along with the mortality rate, are all much higher than seasonal influenza. And one more time, this is during a time of lockdown and intense social distancing accross the world. If we hadn't practiced social distancing do you want to imagine how much blood we would have on our hands?

If you're seriously trying to say this is no different from the flu then I think you need to get a bit more clued up before insulting people and acting bratty. If the user is saying they're scared for their safety, I think the evidence absolutely shows that's completely understandable.

Do you want to try and tell the family members of people who have died that this is "just like the flu and nothing serious", or that their deaths are okay as long as it means you can get out to stretch your legs and go to a lecture instead of just watching it online - which i'm struggling to see what the problem is with that anyway?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TigerDad
You talk about risks, so prove it. Demonstrate to me that you are at greater risk from this bug, NOW, and for the next year, than you would be from flu, for example.

Haha, I think you're tipping your hand and trying rather too hard to be obnoxious, but sure, I'll bite.

My proof is that at least 325,000 people are dead despite the most restrictive global lockdown measures in memory, (and likely in history).

Now your turn. Prove to me that I, and everyone I know, are not at any greater risk from this than we are from flu.
Original post by Drewski
He's the kind of self centered goon who doesn't register that there are other people at universities. No comprehension of cleaners, admin, security staff, to name but a few, and the risks that they would be exposed to if a university reopened in full.

Yh I'm starting to think he's a troll. 🙁 Coronavirus isn't deadly per say it's highly contagious which is the issue so the impact is great.
Yh I'm starting to think he's a troll.

14 posts in 4 years is an odd post history.
oh shut up and go troll somewhere else
Original post by Drewski

The reason I respect this one more than most is that they have played the long game, rather creating a new account and immediately rambling about grooming gangs and suchlike.

Interesting to note that the account was originally that of a concerned dad, IE. an older bloke and exactly the kind of person who is more at risk when lockdown is lifted :smile:
Yeah pretty much. Not sure what else I can do
Original post by Drewski

Hmm 😂😂
Reply 29
Original post by Reality Check
Don't be so ridiculous, or at least any more ridiculous than you can help. There is no need for AO to prove anything, least of all to a salty student. This is their assessment of the risk - and that's where the analysis can end.

It isn't a rational assessment, is it? Where are the numbers? What is it based on? The country is locked down because of frightened, ignorant people.
Reply 30
Hmm 😂😂

Yeah that's the way to deal with hard questions. Ignore the questions. Attack the questioner.
Yeah that's the way to deal with hard questions. Ignore the questions. Attack the questioner.

I have you an answer to your question here:

300,000 people are dead, 10% of those in the UK and you call it hysteria just because you want 'the proper uni experience'?
Reply 32
I have you an answer to your question here:

So do we close all our universities every flu season? 30k dead, 40k dead - these are not unusual figures.
So do we close all our universities every flu season? 30k dead, 40k dead - these are not unusual figures.

300k dead in the midst of a global lockdown might be considered to be somewhat unusual. Come on, put some effort in.
Original post by Drewski

Funny you say that, I reported an 11 year + account for extremely childish trolling yesterday, somethings up, mods say they're looking for account connections.
Reply 35
Original post by Admit-One
300k dead in the midst of a global lockdown might be considered to be somewhat unusual. Come on, put some effort in.

No it really isn't unusual. The numbers of dead are right in the lower/middle range of normal flu outbreaks. The Asian and Hong Kong flus of the 50s and 60s were massively bigger killers. Why is everything different this time?
Reply 36
Original post by StriderHort
Funny you say that, I reported an 11 year + account for extremely childish trolling yesterday, somethings up, mods say they're looking for account connections.

Yes, you need to make sure that any dissent from lockdown orthodoxy is silenced don't you?

Why is that?
Are you genuinely going to accept every university putting 21/22 online only? And will you pay nine grand for the privilege of watching Zoom? i can't believe more people aren't angry. I cannot believe the NUS are doing nothing. This is about our futures. To guard against a minimal risk - one that most of us do not face at all, in fact - we're having our futures put on hold. What is the point of going to university?

As someone who is closer to the teaching side of the exchange, I think you really should appreciate that lecturers and professors will be working extremely hard to help you get the most out of this initial semester (perhaps even year) of teaching. In the case of some programmes this is going to be incredibly difficult to do but the coronavirus outbreak isn’t their fault. They have a responsibility to their current students to not have this year of their lives be a waste, as it would be for many of them if the university simply closed for a year. And they also have a responsibility to the public, whose taxes fund their existence, to offer a path to a degree for them/their children who are leaving high school so that a year of their lives isn’t spent waiting around for the next phase of their education to start either.

I honestly think that most universities will be extremely energetic about offering students as much as they possibly can, operating within these limits.

The last thing I would say is that you rightly point out that coronavirus is not a problem most students “face at all” (although you’re pretty cavalier about the death of what would probably be a hundred to a few hundred students) but seem to be forgetting that students are not the only people in the world. The universities also have a responsibility to keep their staff safe, and to stop you from pottering back home for the weekend and sneezing on your grandmother.

I’m all for students advocating for themselves and pushing for good value but this contempt that people increasingly have for universities on this forum over this subject is the antithesis of the kind of relationship you should want to have with a place that will be really formative in your life.
Yes, you need to make sure that any dissent from lockdown orthodoxy is silenced don't you?

Why is that?

Actually it was some wee berk whining about stabbing people with a pen, but you do you.

30k dead due to corona with lockdown Vs 30k dead due to flu without lockdown. There's a difference. Of there hadn't been a lockdown it would be far far worse. I think someone said earlier that it's 16000 per year due to flu Vs 30000 in 4 months due to covid
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending