The Student Room Group

Working whilst doing Nursing degree

(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I know a fair few student nurses who work in bars, supermarkets, even nightclubs lol. As long as your employer is okay with you working flexibly, particularly around placement, you should be able to fit in work around it. It's an intense degree, but it's not all-consuming. (A lot of student nurses choose to join the bank or other agency staffing:smile:)
Reply 2
Original post by Multitaskingmum
Any student nurses out there?

Ive got a place for september, but as a mature student I am taking a good size income cut to do it. I know the degree is full on in comparison to other courses, but is it possible to do other flexible minimum part time work alongside ?

Apologies if this has been covered on another thread.

Thanks

My hospital takes student nurses as Bank HCA’s
As a bank worker you can pick your shifts and hours so can do a twighlight Or weekend shift or whenever is convenient for you really.
You can do 6-12 hr shifts.
I think it would be hard to do other jobs as you don’t always have much notice of shifts during placements.
Another thing to take into account is holiday entitlement, you get increased holiday entitlement In the NHS after 5 years and again at 10 yrs.
If you do bank HCA for 3 years this counts as entitlement years.You do need to do certain amount of hours though .
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3

Ive got a place for september, but as a mature student I am taking a good size income cut to do it. I know the degree is full on in comparison to other courses, but is it possible to do other flexible minimum part time work alongside ?

Thanks

I’m due to start in September also and am taking an income cut to do so. I have spoken to a former student who said she did bank work whilst studying. I’m hoping to be able to do this alongside too.
Reply 4

Thanks

Perfectly possible. I worked on nurse bank as a HCA throughout - quite a few of us in my cohort did; others worked in pubs. Good time management meant it was completely doable.
Thanks everyone-really helpful ! x
Can you work as a bank HCA as a first year? Or without working as an HCE previously?
Reply 7
Original post by Sam.C.Mat
Can you work as a bank HCA as a first year? Or without working as an HCE previously?

My hospital just take second years or first years with previous HCA experience.
The bank requires a 2 week course and can be applied for prior to becoming a student.
However they don’t always advertise.
Reply 8
Original post by Sam.C.Mat

My trust only takes student applications from 2nd year onwards, although getting a student application in is a bit odd... however, if you apply normally, ie for corporate/bank hca jobs, it really doesn't matter!
I worked on bank from 1st year. That was only because I started working for the trust before I went to do my nurse training, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending