The Student Room Group

UAL Camberwell Fine Art Painting or CSM foundation?

Hi i've been really struggling to decide between going straight to BA Camberwell painting, or doing a year of foundation then apply to ual the next year. Have to say that I'm not actually so determined to do Painting (but more because been doing primarily painting for projects at a level), and thus applied to foundation thinking I may get the opportunity to find out about more areas, but made it more difficult now to choose between the two.

Any advice will really really be appreciated!!!
FOUNDATION!! Definitely foundation. I’ve just finished my foundation at Camberwell and it was the best thing I could have done for my work as my practice changed completely!I came from A level art where I was always painting and I thought I’d probably go onto painting at degree level, but now my practice is performance, sound, video, object making which I love so much!!This happened because I was given the freedom to explore at foundation!
Original post by xryh
Hi i've been really struggling to decide between going straight to BA Camberwell painting, or doing a year of foundation then apply to ual the next year. Have to say that I'm not actually so determined to do Painting (but more because been doing primarily painting for projects at a level), and thus applied to foundation thinking I may get the opportunity to find out about more areas, but made it more difficult now to choose between the two.

Any advice will really really be appreciated!!!

Hey @xryh,

I hope you're well. Great to hear you're considering UAL for your further studies.

As @LaurenBrownie said a foundation gives you the space and freedom to explore your practice and is a great stepping stone from A-Levels to degree. It's also a good way to build your portfolio which will put you in a great position for applying to BA.

I personally did my foundation at Central Saint Martins (UAL) and felt it really helped me to develop my own practice and figure out what I wanted to do for my BA.

There are 2 foundations at UAL: one at Camberwell and one at Central Saint Martins or you can do one at your local college. Information on the UAL foundations can be found here.

That being said if you feel ready to go straight onto a BA then that is also a route people take. You can check out the entry requirements for Camberwell's BA (Hons) Fine Art: Painting here.

I hope that helps, please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Good Luck with whichever route you choose to take.

Kindest,
Tegan :smile:
UAL Student Rep
Reply 3
Hi there, My dream is to do an Undergrad in Fine Art at Central St Martins but I am going to do a foundation degree first. I can't afford to live in London to actually do my foundation at Central St Martins but you mentioned that you could do one at your local college?? At Nottingham College there is an Art Foundation course which says it is UAL. If I do this will I still have a good chance of getting into Central St Martins? Of course it's not the guaranteed spot that you get from studying at UAL in London but is it still a good path to getting there? Thanks so much, Cecily
Original post by cecily1
Hi there, My dream is to do an Undergrad in Fine Art at Central St Martins but I am going to do a foundation degree first. I can't afford to live in London to actually do my foundation at Central St Martins but you mentioned that you could do one at your local college?? At Nottingham College there is an Art Foundation course which says it is UAL. If I do this will I still have a good chance of getting into Central St Martins? Of course it's not the guaranteed spot that you get from studying at UAL in London but is it still a good path to getting there? Thanks so much, Cecily

Hi @cecily1!

Great that you're considering an art foundation. Of course London is more expensive so living cost is a big and very important factor in deciding where to apply. I would say that if Central Saint Martins for Foundation doesn't really feel like an option for you, a local college Foundation is a great idea. If it's accredited by UAL, like the one at Nottingham College, the teaching is likely to be similar and following the same kind of curriculum of the UAL College Foundation courses.

Whilst I think the guaranteed undergraduate progression is only something offered on the Camberwell and CSM Foundations, I think that actually when you apply to undergraduate courses, if your work showcases what those courses are looking for, then this doesn't matter all that much. It's the effort you put in, the work that you make, and as Tegan and @LaurenBrownie said, how you develop your practice and learn about yourself, that's important.

I did my Foundation at CSM, and I'm now at Chelsea College of Art doing my Fine Art BA. Some of my friends from Foundation chose to stay at UAL, others ended up choosing undergraduate courses all over the place. However, on my BA, a lot of course mates have come from Foundations all over the country, and I think CSM is probably similar. A friend of mine from my home town did hers at the local college whilst I commuted to London everyday to go to CSM, and we've still ended up on the same degree course! So I definitely think a local Foundation course is a good path if that's what's available to you. Ultimately it's about the effort you make and the work you create! :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions!

- Hannah
UAL Student Rep
Reply 5
I would like to ask if I’ve been offered to Camberwell foundation should I take another test to get into camberwell college or can I get into central saint martins ?
Hi, any group chats for Camberwell BA fine Art painting 2021 applicants ? :smile: @liritheaesthete
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest