The Student Room Group

Maths question

I'm practicing for a maths test i'll be sitting tomorrow but I'm stuck on this question:

Lena has 54 red balls and 36 blue balls. She wishes to distribute the balls to create identical bags. What is the
maximum number of bags that she can create if she wishes to have the same number of red balls and the same
number of blue balls in each bag?

Could you please explain to me how this question is done?

EDIT: Answer is 18 bags but I don't understand.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bidex
I'm practicing for a maths test i'll be sitting tomorrow but I'm stuck on this question:

Lena has 54 red balls and 36 blue balls. She wishes to distribute the balls to create identical bags. What is the
maximum number of bags that she can create if she wishes to have the same number of red balls and the same

Could you please explain to me how this question is done?

So in you have to have whole balls in each bag, but its basically a ratio question, assuming all balls must be accounted for in the bags:
you have a ratio of 54:36.
this will reduce down to 3:2 (can you see why...)

you need to find the multiple of this reduction in the ratio.
Reply 2
I think the answer to your question should be 36 bags.
Let's see why
To have the maximum number of bags for the finite number of balls,each and every bag must have the least possible number of balls.
The condition is that the number of balls of blue and red should be equal in each bag.
So I thought of putting 1 blue ball and 1 red ball in every bag. This is the least number of balls you can put in each bag.
As there are 54 red balls and 36 blue balls, you can have a maximum of 36 red balls and 36 blue balls which are put into 36 bags. You can't do anything with the remaining 18 balls I suppose.
As a matter of curiosity ,which exam is this.
Reply 3
Original post by gases
I think the answer to your question should be 36 bags.
Let's see why
To have the maximum number of bags for the finite number of balls,each and every bag must have the least possible number of balls.
The condition is that the number of balls of blue and red should be equal in each bag.
So I thought of putting 1 blue ball and 1 red ball in every bag. This is the least number of balls you can put in each bag.
As there are 54 red balls and 36 blue balls, you can have a maximum of 36 red balls and 36 blue balls which are put into 36 bags. You can't do anything with the remaining 18 balls I suppose.
As a matter of curiosity ,which exam is this.

Answer is 18 bags...
Original post by Bidex
Answer is 18 bags...

If you see my responce in post number 2, I left the final part of the soilution to you but it seems you already have the answer.

take the ratio 54:36 and reduce this down to its lowest form keeping the numbers as integers, 54/36 = 3/2

54/3 = 18 or 36/2 = 18

Hope this helps.
Wasnt planning on spelling it out, but i think thats what you want.
Reply 5
Yep ,sorry I read the question in a different way. I thought that you have to put the same number of red balls and the same number of blue balls in each bag. But they meant that it is consistently the same number of red balls in each bag and the same number of blue balls in each bag. But the number of red and blue balls do not have to be equal. Also the balls have to be distributed.
Given the circumstances ,mnot gave the correct answer.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
If you see my responce in post number 2, I left the final part of the soilution to you but it seems you already have the answer.

take the ratio 54:36 and reduce this down to its lowest form keeping the numbers as integers, 54/36 = 3/2

54/3 = 18 or 36/2 = 18

Hope this helps.
Wasnt planning on spelling it out, but i think thats what you want.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 7
Oh K lol I got it. There is a much simpler approach.

This is the question

This is a question assessing an application of number theory .
Let's rewrite the question
Find the gcd of 54 and 36.
(Note the gcd here means greatest common divisor some textbooks call it hcf which refers to highest common factor .This is just the same thing in different words)

To find the gcd of 54 and 36 ,use any method you learnt in kindergarten
Here is the one I used.
Finding the gcd.PNG

the gcd part 2.PNG

So next time you get a question of this type, simply find the gcd.

Lena has n red balls and m blue balls. She wishes to distribute the balls to create identical bags. What is the

Lenna can create {gcd(n ,m)} bags.
Ocmt

Quick Reply

Latest