gingersnaps711
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi!

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with some advice on my PhD lit review.

I'm studying for a PhD in a Media-related discipline. I've been struggling to figure out a reliable method of working through my literature review.

At the moment, I've found I'm working really well with reading the books/articles I need to read, making detailed notes on them, typing those notes up, and then translating that into my actual written lit review.

However, I'm finding this is obviously very time-consuming (reading entire books) and I am struggling with how to figure out what to read at this level of detail and what not to.

Any advice on how people personally went about completing their literature reviews would be amazing, plus any guidance on this specific situation. I've obviously trawled through loads of online blogs about the subject, and some have been helpful. Others, however, talk about fully reading and skimming some stuff, without really getting into how you figure out what to fully read or what to skim.

I'm feeling frustrated with myself, because, on one hand, I have been using the literature reviews of the books I'm already including to help indicate what else to read, which feels right. On the other, I feel this method is going to just mean I literally write the same review as these books have already written, which doesn't feel right.

Any advice would be helpful, and thank you!

Stay safe out there.
Advertisement
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gingersnaps711)
Hi!

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with some advice on my PhD lit review.

I'm studying for a PhD in a Media-related discipline. I've been struggling to figure out a reliable method of working through my literature review.

At the moment, I've found I'm working really well with reading the books/articles I need to read, making detailed notes on them, typing those notes up, and then translating that into my actual written lit review.

However, I'm finding this is obviously very time-consuming (reading entire books) and I am struggling with how to figure out what to read at this level of detail and what not to.

Any advice on how people personally went about completing their literature reviews would be amazing, plus any guidance on this specific situation. I've obviously trawled through loads of online blogs about the subject, and some have been helpful. Others, however, talk about fully reading and skimming some stuff, without really getting into how you figure out what to fully read or what to skim.

I'm feeling frustrated with myself, because, on one hand, I have been using the literature reviews of the books I'm already including to help indicate what else to read, which feels right. On the other, I feel this method is going to just mean I literally write the same review as these books have already written, which doesn't feel right.

Any advice would be helpful, and thank you!

Stay safe out there.
So for most of my PhD lit review (STEM tho...) most of my sources were journal articles, some conference ones and a few government & UN reports.

It definetly is very time consuming reading everything. I found I would skim the abstract, intro, and conclusions. If it seemed useful I would then re-read the intro & conclusion, if I still liked it I would read the paper, sometimes the whole thing in other occasions just the relevant section, then highlight the essential detail.

I found making notes for every paper very tedious, hence I have a series of notes in bullet point form with what I intend to write in the lit review and then have a folder which contains several papers highlighted for use on the bullet points ive made.

I must have been through a couple hundred papers and have about 80 cited in my lit review, if I tried to do detailed notes on each one id run out of time to do anything else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.33%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.73%

Watched Threads